Neutron star

Can we have a couple of Neutron star’s in Eve please, it would be nice to have a system where you have two starts

Neutron stars would most likely render the systen devoid of planets and uninhabitable. Given the star gates were made by people slow boating in stasis, why would such souls risk their work and livelihood on a systen with no value and which would likely blow up the hate during the final collapse as the stars merge?

You might want to look around in wormhole space. In a system right now with a black hole. Fit out a T1 frigate with scanner probes and take a gander.

People are constructing Citadels 1000km away from stars. I’m pretty sure having two stars in a system isn’t going to deter the good folks of New Eden.

1 Like

You are referring to a binary star if you’re talking 2 in orbit of each other.
A neutron star is an extremely old failed black hole that didn’t quite have the mass.
It is composed of entirely neutrons and would have a huge gravitational pull as to its mass.
Some are heavily magnetized and rotate very quickly and create the pulsar effect which made them possible to find by early astronomers. As they pulse and emit an exhaust of particles.
Not friendly to human life in any way.

@Deep-Fried_OnionRings you make me so hungry.

:drooling_face::flushed::heart_eyes:

As for the more differentiation in system looks, its already implemented in wormholes, together with effects, and is a special, alluring feature just for wormholes.

1 Like

You can eat me up anytime sweet cheeks. :slight_smile:

He means Binary Suns, no Neutron Stars, so there can be planets in the system

No neutron stars, but there are more interesting objects. Like this shattered WH sun.

I mean a neutron star would be ~40km in diameter. They say our Sun collapsed to a black hole would be ~6 km in diameter.

Edit: Its not a shattered system after all dotlan says, could be one of frigate only, could be just a random system.

2 Likes

… what?

Okay, there’s so much wrong here I don’t know where to start.

So first of all you’re talking about binary stars, not neutron stars. Binary stars are two stars or stellar objects in orbit. And there ARE binary stars in Eve. There are many w-space systems containing Cataclysmic Variable binaries, which consist of a white dwarf star and a larger star.

But if you were talking about neutron stars, there are two kinds of neutron stars also out in wspace. The first are magnetars, which possess absolutely frightening magnetic fields so strong they can distort electron clouds making it impossible for molecules to form, and causing molecules within range to disintegrate into their component atoms.

The second are pulsars, which are not as heavily magnetized as a magnetar, but emit jets of radiation on their magnetic poles while spinning at a ridiculously fast speed. Since the magnetic pole is often not aligned perfectly with the rotational pole, the rotation causes any object in the line of magnetic rotation to see pulses of intense radiation as the jets move into and out of their view. This causes periodic pulses which can occur every few seconds or even several hundred times a second, depending upon size and rotational speed.

So yeah. You wanna see some crazy stuff? Go to wspace. It’s loaded with some of the more extreme types of stellar objects.

1 Like

Lmao. I like the volume of that shattered sun. Wth.

I did explain what a neutron star was…did a science project in high school!

Well, wr all should know why the OP mentioned 2 merging neutron stars…

That would probably give the 2 merging high density stars enough mass to become a singularity…I’m not a scientist.

I wonder. When a black hole forms there is the contraction shockwave which overrides the degeneracy pressure that would sustain a neutron star. If the merger was much less “violent” than a supernova, could it achieve masses in the range typical of a black hole without fully collapsing? I’m not a scientist either, but degeneracy pressure is incompressible until it fails entirely, unlock “normal” matter pressure. I need to read up on this. Eventually it should collapse but it might be able to reach higher mass before that happens.

I don’t know the mass needed for a stellar body to collapse…I’m sure there’s many variables. As well…a supernova is quite a violent event, although anything on the periodic table past iron we have them to thank for.
I think a black hole creation would be a relatively quiet experience in comparison. To anything not within it’s gravitational pull that is.

Happy Birthday, Subrahmanyan Chandrasekhar.

The final state of a stellar remnant no longer supported by (fusion-derived) thermal pressure depends on how badly gravity screws with the matter in the remnant (and thus, on the mass of the remnant).

Under the well-known Chandrasekhar limit (theoretically 1.44 solar masses, but in reality closer to 1.38 solar masses), electron degeneracy pressure is capable of resisting gravity. In electron degenerate matter, the fact that the Pauli Exclusion Principle forbids particles from sharing quantum states forces many electrons into higher-energy states than the innate thermal energy of the matter would dictate. This energy cannot be harvested, but it exerts a pressure that can counteract gravitational compression. This class of stellar remnants is known as “white dwarfs”.

Above the Chandrasekhar limit, the gravitational pressure has risen to such a level that it becomes energetically more favorable for electrons to merge with protons, than to stay in ever-more-energetic orbital states. At this point the entire remnant turns into one massive atom (or rather, neutron gas) that consists almost entirely of neutrons (with possible pockets of electron-degenerate or proton-degenerate gasses). Predictably, this class of stellar remnants is known as “neutron stars” (with sub-classes like pulsars, magnetars, and whatnot).

There is a mass limit above which this neutron gas (or neutronium) cannot withstand the crushing gravitational compression of the remnant. This limit, the less-well-known Tolman-Oppenheimer-Volkoff limit, is much less defined; theoretically, under ideal conditions, neutron degeneracy fails to support the remnant at masses above 0.75 solar masses (less than electron degeneracy!), but additional effects mean that realistically, the limit is probably somewhere between 2 and 3 solar masses (there is much uncertainty because there are no accurate models for quantum states under these conditions yet, but we have empirical evidence of a neutron star with a mass of slightly above 2 solar masses, so that imposes a lower bound to the limit).

Above the Tolman-Oppenheimer-Volkoff limit, gravity crushes all the neutrons in the remnant together. There may be other higher-density stable configurations such as quark degeneracy or preon degeneracy, but these are highly theoretical. Either way, not much above this limit, nothing stops gravitational collapse, and the remnant collapses into a singularity obscured by an event horizon; more commonly referred to as a “black hole”.

TL;DR: Neutron stars are all above 1.38 solar masses, and can’t be more massive than 3 solar masses. If one presumes an equal distribution of neutron star mass inside this interval, there is only a 1% chance that the sum of the masses of two random neutron stars is under the 3 solar masses limit. Therefore, the most likely outcome of a neutron star merger is a black hole.

Can a neutron star be heavier than a black hole? Yes, but a freshly-formed neutron star caused by gravitational collapse cannot be heavier than a freshly-formed black hole formed by gravitational collapse. Hawking radiation can over time reduce the mass of a black hole (though for stellar-mass black holes, this takes bloody forever; a 1-solar-mass black hole emits about 9e-29 Watts of Hawking radiation), until it shrinks below the Chandrasekhar limit. Given that time constraint, it is however quite likely that by that time, there aren’t any stars left to turn into neutron stars anyway.

1 Like

Either you’re a physicist or you excel at copy and paste. I’ve always found stellar origin an interest along with our eventual contraction back into a very small singularity.
The Bing Bang theory is really quite irrefutable and can fall under many modern theology as God made it so, or whatever you believe.
I’ve read many theories and such being a sci-fi fan as well as actual science follower. People like Steven Hawking and Einstein, Bell and Tesla really opened our eyes, we could go back to Darwin, but we’re talking about stars and their critical mass when their fuel is expended. I won’t give Edaward Teller any credit, he may be the end of us as he knew.
Different classes of star NOT in the eve universe are pretty cool too.

If you really knew what a neutron star really is you would not want to be anywhere close of one. Many of them exist out there and they travel galaxies aimlessly, obliterating solar system after solar system until finding some similar neutron star, enter each other’s gravitational fields, and go super-mega-super-nova creating black hole in the process, swallowing big chunks of the galaxy…
I do not want to see any of that ■■■■ anywhere close of me, not even in a video game.