(New) Character Creation System is absolute garbage (Pictures inside)

Ok, so, new account, first character on that account. New character generator.

8 Likes

Apparently they couldnt make any body type and clothing available to anyone inside the current character creator, because the people who were creating it were long gone, and they made new one with combination of every body type available to anyone, and clothes and corporations too.

Mixed feelings there. There should have been portrait mode I think. Also the race mixing tool they showed many years ago didnt make it into this? Thats rather sad. :disappointed:

Are you sure this is not eve echo?

nah, I looked that guy up ingame:

:expressionless:

2 Likes

LOL. Minmantar looks like Amarrian this is why Nauplius is angry Outrage: CONCORD Removes Bloodline Descriptions

1 Like

Seems Eve online are more and more becoming a crap since PA bought it.

2 Likes

So.

How it seems to work, after experimentation, is that you no longer select a bloodline, but when you select customize and then select a “face” from the customization wheel, your clothing, tattoo, hair, etc options change accordingly.

The faces are basically the old bloodline stereotype looks. Now you just get to pick yours freely independent from your race, and they are not called bloodlines, so the changing of options is completely surprising - facial features changing your available clothing styles is not very intuitive, and must be far less so to someone who does not realize the stereotypes are in fact old “races”.

Pro: You can still make Minmatar that look like Minmatar used to.
Pro: Characters from any school etc can have any kind of facial structures etc.
Con: You still canNOT make, say, a character with Amarr facial looks who graduated from a Minmatar school, has naming tattoos, and dresses like a Minmatar.
Con: New players have no way of knowing where the various clothing styles come from in-universe, and must be pretty puzzled about why they are tied to face changes.

The main limitation of the old character generation was not that your facial structure depends on your bloodline. It was that you cannot mix and match the options.

Well, with this change,

1. you still cannot mix and match your options, and
  2. now new players are completely in the dark about where the various styles of clothing etc come from, in-universe.

So it does not solve the problems, and it introduces new ones.

Wishlist:

• call “face” “stereotypes” and give them names that reflect where people who look like that might be assumed to come from, but let everyone pick anything and/or
  • separate facial feature selection from clothing options, call the option groups “styles”, and give them names to also reflect where they come from
    This would give everyone all the choices, but allow them to still have flavour.

TL;DR: not as bad as I feared after reading the OP. Still pretty annoying.

14 Likes

Also, a binary gender stereotype selector does not stop being about gender just because you do not say the word.

7 Likes

The third gender could have been Triglavian, just saying. :small_red_triangle:

Its pretty sad they didnt included triglavians.

This isnt the best solution and they should work on giving any clothes to anyone, and include triglavians, with adding more faces.
Because as we say here, the tea isnt becoming any sweeter just by mixing it with a spoon.

5 Likes

Where was this announced? And if that is the case, why does it only apply to completely newly created accounts and not existing accounts? Why does it not heed your settings and instead create total bogus? Even if you wanted to make every bodytype and school available to anyone, if you select Minmatar you should not get an Amarr character as base. You get a minmatar character that you then sculpt to another character. Just like in any good character creator. But I forgot, CCP is not able to come up with good features. My bad.

Obviously not expecting an answer from you. It is just mindboggling how you can wreck something that works perfectly fine so much.

5 Likes

Looks very much like a true Amarr

2 Likes

Why was there not much as a line in patchnotes is my main question, tbh.

1 Like

Maybe a bastard son of an Amarrian from a Minmantar slave. :rofl:

2 Likes

With some thought, I think with the current character generation system, where I’m guessing you probably cannot make more bodytype models, the best option would be to present more than two “pregenerated starting points”, and just call them that, “sample characters” or whatever, not “pick your body type”. They’d still be stereotypical but you’d get rid of the cringe-worthy implication that “body type” is about picking your binary gender presentation.

2 Likes

Maybe, not quite Amarr, and not quite Minmatar. but stuck in between not belong. just like this abomination of a character creator

1 Like

It’s pretty hilarious to think of the newbie who starts to customize character, picks hairstyle, jacket, tattoos, jewellery… then decides to see what the character would look with a slightly different face… and suddenly all the previous choices change. (Because that’s what they do if you do it in that order.)

How long would it take to figure that out without the information how the face/bloodline/style used to work, I wonder. :smiley:

4 Likes

Imagine the newbie discussing with older players in the starter NPC chat box. :sweat_smile:

2 Likes

Pretty sure that this politics nonsense about body types doesn’t belong here, or there …
… especially because literally every fragment of DNA everywhere screams in pure horror.

I’m not even sure what people are complaining about.

I remember many people over the last ten years wanting this to happen.

Something like Amarrians graduating in Minmatar schools …
… and them wearing Minmatar clothes, etc.

That’s inclusive and progressive

… or is it NOT ?

1 Like

I created a bad sound quality video showcasing the new character creation ^-^

7 Likes

I have no words for how awful this is. This is nowhere near ready for being launched. It seems way more confusing than the previous iteration and hiding away the lore about the factions and the bloodlines will just make it more bland.

And the “select your body type” is utterly worthless when you only get to pick between Barbie and Ken. This is not being inclusive to non-binary people. This is just pretending that you are doing something. The EVE character creator will never be inclusive to gender queer people as long as it forces you to pick between a very masculine man or a very femine woman. And doesn’t help that much of the clothes for female characters highlights the femine figure. Why can’t I just get a normal suit for my female character? Why does it have to highlight her breasts?

And finally. Where the ■■■■ is the communication? What happened to the CCP that communicated with players? This feels like something that got snuck through the backdoor in the hope that us bittervets didn’t notice.

14 Likes