New Default Overview on Singularity

Reading comprehension is hard.

1 Like

A thousand times this.

3 Likes

I think a good change would be to give the ability to format structure names so every player structure wouldn’t start with the system name in the overview making you have to extend the tab really far to see the actual structure name.

All tabs should show hostiles, so you’re never caught out unawares because you have a particular filter set based on your current activity.

2 Likes

I applaud CCP for trying to improve the Overview because, as a newer player, I find it very cumbersome to change what I see on my Overview. The default settings may be adequate for the first few days, but afterwards I want to see different things, and have tabs available that make my choices easier. I like the color-coded tabs in one of the player-made packs, especially the one that uses a single symbol to designate pre-sets, such as a plane for travel, arrow for warp-outs, etc.

The ability to select different pre-sets from a drop-down menu is very helpful. However, I have found it difficult to move choices around from higher-to-lower places in the list or vice-versa. Drag-and-drop ability for this would be a major improvement. The ability to change colors without needing to know complex HTML or other code would be a big plus as well.

1 Like

Can you do something like this for the WHOLE user interface? I would love to be able to setup a client with all my open windows how I like it, then apply that to each of my clients or specific clients. I feel like this could be done in the same way through the launcher. You can also have multiple saved setups. Thank you!!

1 Like

Should have a target force multipliers setting.

T2 destroyers, T2 electronic warfare, etc

What EVE needs is a central, curated game documentation repository the Devs can feed into, an “EVE (cough) LoPedia” - instead of relying on the nice folks maintaining the EVE University WIKI to explain game features.

1 Like

Hello, great changes for new players, the default overview was horrible and setting one up (before sharing) was hard.

I’d LOVE to see custom tabs. Tabs where you could take existing info from client, and combine it with each other and/or some values.

Some possible combos:

• (probably log) SIZE x (invert square) SPEED would allow sorting for best missile target without comparing 3 columns. Now only need to compare 2: this combo column and distance.
  • size x angular or angular x (some value) distance = possible best turret target
  • cutting down 0’s in angular. 1’st one is useless, 2’nd and 3’rd semi-usable… for frig combat if no one is using webs. Log scale or just remove the first couple digits
  • tab that makes use of that weird “turret tracking” stat

Please change along with the overview also the game logs that are written to the file.
The logs have a disgusting format that uses html tags and in some places uses the format from the “Overview Settings → Ships” tab.
Make a simple and understandable csv format pls.

Whilst I agree that the recent UI changes have been… less than perfect, this is not a UI change. It’s a change to the way data is presented within the existing UI.

The rumoured changes to multiple overviews being on screen at once - that would be a UI change.

In this particular case, that depends on whether the extra options are kept in RAM, or only brought into RAM as they’re activated. I run customised overviews on my accounts, and they’re a LOT more complicated than the stock 3? tabs you get on the default, and although I do have a reasonably powerful PC (Ryzen 7 3700x, 32GB RAM, RTX3070), my previous PC (3GHz 4-core Intel CPU, 16GB RAM, GTX1070Ti) ran the same overviews, and didn’t suffer at all for the additional data the overviews put in view.

To be fair to CCP, the default overview options are pretty lame. Customising them to make them more useful is well beyond the scope of most newbros, and although the newbro help channels do provide links to things like the Z-S overview pack, I think it’s actually a good thing to include that sort of stuff by default rather than forcing newbros to go find it.

This is a different class of update to some of the other things we’ve seen lately - I see no benefit to mobilifying the interface (if that’s not a word, it is now) as they’ve done lately, some of the design decisions around wasted space and what data is important and what is not has been horrendous, and the new docking/undocking stuff and structure interiors adds nothing to the game and is a complete waste of resources IMHO (not to mention the impact it has on performance, client stability, etc), but things like improving the basics of the game as this does - I think it’s work well worth doing.

I think being able to change the colour of items in the overview and their icons in space would be a GREAT addition.

Totally agree. Again, this would be wonderful information to have available in space, rather than having to constantly go back to the overview.

The default of security status defining the colour of an entry on the overview is one of the first things that anyone changes when entering lowsec/nullsec. There are overviews that manage to convey both security status AND friend/foe status, hopefully that will be possible with the new overviews (or at least different on differently-focused overviews) - I’d test, but we’re having some fun in Australia connecting to Eve reliably at present…

There’s an option in the settings to reduce it - and if you use “View outside” in Upwell structures, it’s a LOT quicker now - I get access to hangers/etc well before the “Docking” banner’s finished up.

Echoing the “a thousand times this.” comment. Lack of documentation around how overviews and brackets work and how to customise them is a MASSIVE oversight for what is quite a complex system.

A great suggestion - we already know what system we’re in (and if we don’t, look to the top left of screen)…

Define hostile. Player or NPC? Rat? War target? Neutral? Opposing FW militia member?

Official support for copying settings from one character to others (and a sanctioned process for doing so that doesn’t involve asking players to go deep into the folder structures and mess with things that can be quite catastrophic if they make a mistake) would be a MASSIVE help.

That’s an interesting thought. Most of us learn what types of ships tend to do certain things (EWAR, webbing, cyno, etc), but T1/T2/T3 indicators would be quite cool.

Cue “F1 monkey” jokes here. They need to leave something for you to figure out yourself. Part of the attraction of Eve is that it really IS a complex game.

Whilst I agree that it’d be nice to see a more standardised logging setup, that’s a separate issue to the overview, which is the focus of discussion here.

1 Like

You can type /open overview settings in any chat channel whilst docked to get the overview settings window open.

2 Likes

I am happy that the default overview is finally getting a makeover - it has needed one for a long time. I have a series of thoughts about overviews, some related to the presets you’re discussing and others to do with overview building in general.

Issues with Upwell Structures & mutliline ship bracket text
I have not been able to test this on sisi yet as I do not have easy access to a structure that is anchoring/online/repairing etc…

However, in the current overview system on TQ there is a UX issue when trying to read structure timers when you have an overview which has a multiline bracket in space text thingy.

If you are going to default to a two-line layout by default you need to look at this and see if there is something you can do to resolve this.

Update Beacon Entity Type

As it stands there is only one main entity_type for beacons called beacon. Yet there are really three types of beacons all merged into this:

1. Event Beacons - these tend to be for events that are short in duration e.g., Crimson Harvest. or the Guraistas event that happened recently

2. Anomoloies (e.g., Unidentified Wormhole, Jove Observatory, The Chribba Monument, etc._

3. Regular PVE sites (e.g., Incursions, FW, Cosmos, etc.)

While each of these beacon types is distinctly different they are all merged into one entity type. Please consider breaking them up so that those of us who use a specific type regularly don’t have to have our overview spammed by types that don’t interest us.

Incursion Presets

I would consider this to be a fairly low priority, but seeing you’re adding a whole bunch of presets I might as well mention it anyway…

Firstly incursion presets really need to have a tag column. I realise columns are overview-wide and not preset-specific but something to think about. Ideally giving us the ability to customise columns overview-wide by default (which already exists), while giving us the option to further customise them on a preset layer (feature suggestion) would fix this issue.

But if this isn’t something you can do/are not prepared to do, I wonder how useful the incursion presets will be. At a quick glance, you have some really weird entity types selected that are kind of pointless IMO and then some others that you haven’t got selected which given the first group leaves me scratching my head (e.g., jump bridges are enabled but other upwell structures like dockable structures are not). - SO yeah, kinda question the point of this preset if it isn’t going to prepare pilots to fly. - If devs want to reach out to me about incursion-specific stuff send me a message, I’ve been doing incursions since 2016 so I know a thing or two :wink:

Secondly… Consider adding two presets for incursions. One should show pilots, not in the fleet, this helps logi and FCs spot DCs and out-of-fleet leroys allowing us to save them. However, having these ships show up on your overview is a real problem during contests so a second tab should show no player ships at all.

Simple Reset State
Please give overview builds some sort of very simple default state with minimal presets. You could make this a little hard to find, but when I build a very specific overview, the first thing I do is reset my overview and delete all presets. While I think your new changes are a step in the right direction, I am now going to have to delete a lot more presets before I can get started.

Finally, Fleet Lock Colour (Accessibility Issue)
Way back in 2014-2017 you changed the colour of the fleet-member is locking you block (surrounds the icon in space/on the overview) from yellow to purple. IIRC the stated reason was that you wanted to make it “less scary” for pilots when they were locked by fleet members.

I remember this announcement at the time and thought it was a mistake because light purple on dark purple is hard to see. Please either change it back to yellow or add an option on the Misc tab of the overview settings window.

As others on the forums have mentioned, there are ways to change this colour by changing the colour tag or row colours for fleet members on the appearance tab; however, this is a really bad option because:

• Colours in Eve have special meaning (Green = Corp, Blue = Alliane/+5+10, Red = -10-5 etc).

Forcing players to change the colour of the player tag to say red, means that fleet members no longer show up as in fleet when I look at them in local they show up as the -5/-10 colour.

• some other reason that now escapes me…

Anyway I have rambled on enough. Thanks for the work

1 Like

CCP’s main job is fixing things thats not broken- there unable of making new content sooooo to maintain ones job lets fix items not broken ^_-

1 Like

the Colour of the next gate in route NEEDS to be changed from the washed out yellow that canot be seen with any bright background. it’s been like this since Beta and the only way to see it with any accurcy is to turn off the Opacity of windows, allowing things to hide behind. this is also not optimal with those of us that play with very little screen real estate.

1 Like

Hmm. I am a bit split on the matter. Its maybe a bit too much and too specific, not helping out the newb who does not even understand what all of that means and not really helping out the expert who will either prefer personal settings or stick to a mandatory alliance/corp overview anyway.

In my opinion a selection of like ten basic default settings for different basic purposes (ShowAll, PvP, PvE, Mining, Exploration etc…) that serve newcomers should be enough for them to get used to having different tabs for different activities. Everything beyond that is basically based on either personal prefererence by building personal overviews or when joining an even half-competent corp or alliance, you will get their default settings via shared overviews, done by experienced players.

Lets keep it simple.

1 Like

I’m with you on this, both for the reason you stated and because I am concerned about maintainability.

Basically, what guarantee can CCP give us as they add/remove/change features within the game (e.g., add a new entity_type) that every one of these presets will be adjusted correctly? Or are we going to end up with another default overview that has lots of issues?

My take would really be this:

1. Setup a brand new default overview that has presets for PVE, PVP, Mining, and Navigation (the things covered by the career agents)
  2. Make each tab as generic as possible… The PVP stuff can be set up in a way that works well in null/low and highsec combat
  3. Improve the appearance settings. IIRC the default order on TQ is usually different to what most NBSI groups want you to have - so change the default to something sensible like (fleet > alliance > corp > +10 > +5 etc).
  4. Create some video tutorials on how to setup overviews (I really miss the old videos in the F12 menu, you should really bring those back)

This way CCP can have fewer to maintain, players are less likely to be overwhelmed, and lbh most specialized groups are likely going to have their own overviews anyway. Like I said before we incursion runners have our specific setups - realistically I’d say every incursion runner should have a general tab, an emergency warp tab, and two ratting tabs - with all the presets in the world an overview like this isn’t going to make new pilots life easier which is why we’ll still maintain our own and give it to pilots.

So maybe make things a little bit simpler?

2 Likes

You could always practise your reading skills by reading more books. There’s also learning tools available if you have trouble concentrating from all the screen time you get, or just have trouble learning in general. I don’t know what your comment has to do with my computer forum message at all, maybe ask questions for clarity instead of assuming that I can tutor someone to read.

You mean other than the fact that CCP doing this isn’t them ‘fix[ing] things until they’re broken’, they’re not claiming this isn’t something the players got to way ahead of them, and they’re actively soliciting feedback, which means not declaring ‘job well done’?

Gosh, if you can’t see what his comment criticizing your derisive take on the situation has to do with your computer forum message, maybe reading comprehension is hard. I hear you could read some books to help with that, though.

2 Likes

Well, about time.