New Forum A Bad Idea

5 Likes

Yes. When all of the cool kids moved to Reddit, CCP pretty much went with them. They have been more active on this forum lately though.

I miss the old AOL forums, and also the chat rooms. There were some great ones. For example, the “Women Who Run with Wolves” one. That was some classic chat. Nobody even trolled it either, despite temptations popping up every few seconds.

2 Likes

sigh…

June 20th… 2017. Today is June 27th 2018… slightly over a year. I wouldn’t expect people to be on these forums for over a year when the forums have only been up for just barely over it.

2 Likes

Yea they sux but it looks like we stuck with it no?

Yeah. Here’s the thing.

It’s not some fresh forum for a brand new game. It’s at least the third update that I have participated in over the last twelve years.

As with all the other times, it should have been a smooth transition as people moved over from the old forum to the new one. There’s no conceivable reason for them sitting around for a month or more before continuing with their usual posting habits.

No. It’s because this new forum is crap. Plain and simple.

So many people pointed this out while it was still in beta and nothing was done (As usual with CCP). Many of them said they would stop posting when the old one closed and it seems that that is exactly what many did.

Mr Epeen :sunglasses:

5 Likes

To rehash:

Original Forums
General Discussion - 1399 threads/month
Crime and Punishment - 221 threads/month

Second set of Forums
General Discussion - 786 threads/month
Crime and Punishment - 85 threads/month

Current forum:
General Discussion - 199 threads/month (46/week)
Crime and Punishment - 21 threads/month (5/week)

9 Likes

These forums don’t really entice me to read. It’s counter intuitive to use and looks crap. Also it’s the same people posting in the same threads all day every day.

2 Likes

r/EVE doesn’t have that many regular posters either. In most high-profile threads you’ll see the exact same guys posting. That majority seems to be passive readers or upvoters/downvoters. Reddit is often used more like a dance-off with a crowd than a tool for long-winding, complicated discussions.

Reddit has a few advantages* over the EVE Forums (not each of which is an advantage for all players):

• r/EVE is a better propadanda tool, due to the possibility to silence people with downvotes
  • possibility to use one account for several subreddits, e.g. discussing other things
  • doesn’t have to comply with each of CCP Forum rules, esp. ranting
  • people who spam to an extent that they piss off others, will quickly be kicked
  • a bit cleaner, less heavy design (while having a worse structure)
  • most prolific posters there, write with their main, i.e. their in-game main is known to readers, which creates a more game-connected atmosphere than talking to Forum alts (people conceal there in-game identity there too, but it is not quite as respected as it is here)
  • reddit mobile support for Notifications and watchlisting people might be better
  • higher visibility of topics beyond the circle of EVE players

+/-

• direct replies being more clearly linked to what they refer (at the cost of threads quickly being “decided” after an initial wave of upvotes/downvotes, thus negative for the readability for later top-level replies)
  • when reading long threads, you’re likely to stick to already upvoted replies
  • less danger of threads becoming endless circles of repetition, while that also takes away a bit of depths

Reddit also has a few disadvantages compared to the Forums (could be advantages for others):

• reddit is more like twitter with longer text, threads quickly disappear because there isn’t any proper structure
  • most users there degrade themselves upvote/downvote monkeys or posting “copypasta” (as if this was still funny) “memes” (as if it’s a meme if only 100 people care about it)
  • censorship by downvoting mob mechanics can be much worse than ground rules enforced by ISD/CCP
  • if you piss off the mods there, you’ll have no way to properly appeal their decision to ban you
  • acceptance of certain kinds of trolling by the mods (e.g. neonazi stuff)

I think r/EVE is not really the problem for the EVE Forums. Neither is Twitch, Discord or Twitter. The Forums would need to have a clear concept, a role amidst the large amount of places where people have discussions.

For instance, the Forums could be a great place to collect a unified and well-structured player feedback, if the players were able to organize themselves in such a way, rather than being content in proving each other wrong. They’d also need more ressources and stricter enforcing of spam-rules in order to keep things readable. Re-thinking the layout for that purpose wouldn’t be wrong either.

TL;DR Forums could be perfect place to collect player feedback that’s given to the CSM in order for them to present it. Doesn’t work now, due to lack of player self-organisation, enforcement of rules and layout.

6 Likes

Some things have been discussed ad nauseam. No need for another iteration of the same threads.

The feeling of game mechanics recently pushing people into one direction might have lead to the perception that things are currently stale, thus no outcome of hot-headed discussions.

More alternatives exist.
Reddit is better for propaganda wars than the Forums.
Discord is better to organize your groups (remember that corps used to have sub-forums?)

But yeah, the Forum design doesn’t allow for it to be good enough at what a “Forum” is actually supposed to be.

In turn it lacks a clear role.

All of that combined leads to people using it for nostalgia or as a complaint and nagging platform.

( Just look at how many threads end up in the exact same laps of “you’re stupid”, “no, you’re stupider”.)

2 Likes

We do it every day for 15 years. :joy:

4 Likes

Maybe.

But in my case, I am the forum alt. I’ve always been the only one of my characters (and I have a lot of them) that has ever posted in the EVE-O forum.

Well… except for that brief period after the new character creator was implemented when I spent more time than I should have making really interesting characters to show off in the various contests at the time. Epeen, brother. It’s all about me.

4 Likes

You were a sucker for crowds.

As for the few left who have any idea who I am

I had you blocked on the old forums, the lack of blocking on this forums is the reason I check it maybe once a week because I can’t filter out garbage posters such as yourself who live vicariously through their internet posting

2 Likes

So we agree on something. This new forum is a feature light mess, causing you to look elsewhere for your EVE content.

1 Like

I at least have BIG, RECTANGULAR AVATARS in my version of these forums.

3 Likes

I got into the top 10 of the first two forums EVE Search - chainsaw plankton's posting statistics If I counted right I’m barely in the top 50 of these forums. EVE Online Forums

On the stat’s page its saying there are 53371 users that’s not too bad. but the ~1400 are most of the ones that have been around for the full year. I expect that to go up over time.

ha! you must be new here.

pretty much, the big threads get really hard to read would like to have pages back.

5 Likes

I agree with the OP. The old forums were much better than these new forums, seemed more functional, and had a lot more posters, interaction, etc. These forums are basically dead. I haven’t checked in a couple of days, but when I just looked, it’s the same couple of active topics that were here last time.

2 Likes

Do you also use local scripts to ignore people? :slight_smile:

I dont have those. I rely on the personal internal ignoring mechanism.

3 Likes

You’ll fail in your fight!

The new forums just lost their primordial concept as old agora’s did… no places for discussions and debates…
Agora-Poster

New internet people just looking for their shepherds on YouTube, Twitch, Twitter, Reddit to cast likes and follows buttons.

@Mr_Epeen