New HUD?

I agree, I dislike the “Docking” banner they introduced a few years ago. It is a reduntant mess of audio announced docking, with several other visuals telling you are docking.

Here I should inform you that there is a reason for the black screens during interior docking and system jumps. This is a grapical programming issue seen in all games. A transistion screen is needed to avoid drawing the graphics. Think of watching a live play and instead of closing the curtain between scenes, you see the stage hands scurry about moving props and getting the next set ready. However in a PC game, this visual will often cause video RAM to lag the game, unless you fade to black and turn off the 3D for the new images to be loaded. It is akin to closing the curtain. Entering the player stations with the exterior view, no change is needed.

I seriously doubt this new HUD will improve much at all. It is only a question of how awful it looks and if it will even function as intended.

Fly safe o7

4 Likes

I understand the use for it.

But there’s no reason why FCCP could not just fade to black the background and leave my UI that I am trying to interact with intact.

There is zero reason to also block my inventory, chat window, skills window and other windows I have open if they just want to transition the background view from station exterior to station interior. The game does neat transitions while jumping from one system to another without interrupting our UI, docking could be done in a similar way, but for some reason they did not.

2 Likes

Please no pop ups that prevent me from clicking on anything other than OK

4 Likes

Hey! Really glad to hear people are curious about the new HUD. We have a blog series going over the changes we’re looking to make, and part two of that is due out next week. In there you’ll see some more mockups of the things we’re looking at, and the reasons for it.

We know this is a core element of the game, and we’ve got no plans to flip it on overnight. Really excited to hear your feedback once it gets into your hands; EVE is a lot of different games all in one, and the HUD needs to serve all those purposes.

4 Likes

Q: What is wrong with the current HUD?

I mean, it doesn’t seem broken… yet. This is an upgrade of the one working graphical element. not all the 2D menus, neocom, 3D backgrounds, skyboxes, etc.. all of which are broken and in need repairs. Good luck with that.

4 Likes

Thank you for your efforts in making EVE accessible to all. I can’t wait to see what you have in store for us as far as the HUD.
Fly Safe o7

1 Like

Gotta say it’s great to see a Dev being active here in the forums… Thank you very much for taking the time to browse these forums and more importantly, for posting replies…

DMC
o7

1 Like

i mean there are pictures of the HUD here if you haven’t seen them..

I saw them. Another post alluded to the fact they were from last Fanfest and there could be lots of changes before we see the final product so I’m having a hard time putting a lot of stock in them.
I figure we’ll see soon enough.

1 Like

Let’s face it everything before the actual photon ui was pure gold…

This cell phone colors alone were a reason for me to use the old ui as long as it was possible…

And the format of the windows has never improved…still a waste of space…

1 Like

Look forward to seeing the potential changes next week.

1 Like

Nobody alluded anything. Anna said they were from the fanfest we just had. I SAID the ones used in the devblog represented old unused concepts

1 Like

This is the real issue right there, FC is full to the brim with no reason.

2 Likes

Sigh. There is an old saying in IT. It is one of the truest sayings in IT…

‘If it works…don’t bugger about with it’

2 Likes

Sometimes it’s a limitation of the Engine. Docking in a station seems like a map change, not much to do other than offer a splash screen.

I don’t think any engine considers the HUD an independent element of the game, most of the time it’s attached to the player controller, that can only exists inside a map.

I may be wrong tho, Carbon may be different.

1 Like

Blizzard certainly took that to heart. Offering addon support and leaving that crap UI for years paid a lot of dividends.

Why do the work if you can let others do it for you, and with lots of variants for all tastes.

1 Like

My apologies. I had no idea how important that was.

they’re going to mess it up because they can.

2 Likes

Yeah. Something like – switching cameras will crash the game; opening probe scanner will only work in potato mode; right click capacitor – ‘jump to’ will eject you from your ship. You know, the usual.

4 Likes

It would be hilariously funny if everytime someone jumps to a cyno, the ship goes through but the pod stays behind :rofl:

Finally a solution to adress power projection ^^

3 Likes