'New Member' Status and Previous Posts

At the moment I’m hovering between being vaguely amused and a bit annoyed to be described on the ‘new’ forum as a new member.

In this ‘new’ forum, which in truth is a redesigned interface, apparently “For safety reasons, we temporarily limit what new users can do. You’ll gain new abilities (and badges) as we get to know you.”

I’ve been paying you for a subscription since I started to play the game in 2008 (06/03/2008) some nine years. During this time I’ve been fairly active on the forums and I’ve posted quite a few times.

To, therefore, find myself described as a ‘new member’ based on the fact that you have re-designed the interface and layout is laughable to the point of absurdity.

Even better than this, is the fact that you have apparently wiped all the posts that I’ve ever made from my account because when I look at activity, there’s nothing on there, at all.

The sad thing that, on initial inspection, I actually like the look and feel of the ‘new’ forum and I think the layout looks reasonably good and it’s a bit cleaner than the old layout, however, the fact that you’ve scrubbed my history out with an eraser, the fact that despite nine years of playing and commentating on the forum I’m a ‘new member’, combined with the débâcle of my name (https://meta.eveonline.com/t/name-change-error/6261) leaves a really bad taste in my mouth.

1 Like

Hi there, I just want to clarify a few things about the permission levels on these forums.

Everyone who signs up will show as a ‘new member’. This is because you new to these forums. Once you have been on the forums and participated for a while, you will be given the rank ‘Basic’. The rank ‘Basic’ allows you access to all of the functions a normal pilot would have. At the time of replying to this post I see you have level that award as well. Please note that the other levels under the ‘trust level’ category are reserved for CCP Devs / Game Masters, and members of ISD.

Regarding your comment: [quote=“Mu_ad_Diib, post:1, topic:6262, full:true”]
To, therefore, find myself described as a ‘new member’ based on the fact that you have re-designed the interface and layout is laughable to the point of absurdity.
[/quote]

These forums are completely new, there were many reasons for upgrading the forums. Including but not limited to the fact that the Old Forums were out of date, struggled to cope with larger threads and were limited in features. Another goal according to one of Falcon’s posts was to try and separate the forums from the current infrastructure so that the forums could still be usable if Tranquillity was having issues. It is my understanding that the old forums were rather dependant on TQ and so the forums could have issues if TQ was having problems.

Please also note that your posts have not been deleted they are on the old forums. When those forums are switched to a ‘Read Only’ mode, you will still be able to see the forum / archive at their new URL. Keep an eye out for information on the changeover.

1 Like

Thanks for this info which is useful.

A couple of points:

1. While I completely understand a desire to improve the forums by creating an improved interface (and as I said I do like the new layout) there ought to be some kind of porting across of some of the content from the old forums, otherwise we risk losing a significant and useful body of tips, hints, information and discussion that both old and new players would and do find useful to refer to.

Maybe this could be done on the basis of views and/or the level of activity and/or how important the information is within the posts.

1. You write “When those forums are switched to a ‘Read Only’ mode, you will still be able to see the forum / archive at their new URL.” One of my main bugbears and concerns about these new forums is the lack of information that has been directed at players. Aside of a pop-up message on the game launcher, I’ve seen none.

“Keep an eye out for information on the changeover.” Quite. Some would be nice if that’d be okay.

While I completely understand a desire to improve the forums by creating an improved interface (and as I said I do like the new layout) there ought to be some kind of porting across of some of the content from the old forums, otherwise we risk losing a significant and useful body of tips, hints, information and discussion that both old and new players would and do find useful to refer to.

The forums are not a “New Interface” It is an entirely new forums. Everything from the source code to the database is new. What you are seeing is not the old forums with a new UI, its a New Forum in its entirety.

As for moving over threads from the older forum. It is a lot more time consuming and problematic then you may know. We (ISD) are currently updating and posting some of the sticky threads from the old forums that will be relevant here and that looks like at least a months work for our group of volunteers. However, the old forums will not be “deleted” they will remain but in a read only state at a new url. Much like the Pre-Evegate forums are. You can of course open threads here on what ever topic you would like to continue the discussion on.

So my question: “where are all my Favourite topics?” is answered. Here I have none.
Does someone know when the “old” forums will be switchend to read only mode?

This information was provided by CCP Falcon in this devblog.

We are of course aware that there are a lot of existing discussion ongoing on the existing forums, and as such we’ll be keeping them open for a month, until July 20th, so that the community can make a solid transition over to the new forums too.

The existing forums will continue to live on forums.eveonline.com until this date too, and will then migrate to oldforums.eveonline.com, with the new ones taking their place on the current URL.

1 Like

Thank you very much.

So what happen in my case where I can not really present of the forum, only to post updates about the tool I am developing for players and reading some industry related posts ?
Is the status upgrade related to the number of posts only, or any other factor?
Because right now I am stuck at only 2 links in my posts, and I cannot upload images.
Which is kinda annoying when I am trying to keep people up to date with my tool status/news/description…