New player scamming - mass invite spammers

I see there are some rather determined individuals mass spamming newbies with corp invites - the senders are sent to doomheim almost immediately, and the corps they advertise also disappear quickly - I assume after ripping off some newbies through corp taxation…

Can CCP do something about this? I can’t imagine it’s going to be a positive experience for new players

1 Like

I don’t support CCP adding more restrictions in the game but this is one area they really need to smarten-up on and crackdown on predatory corps that target new players.

8 Likes

CSPA charge set to 1m (or higher if they allowed it) or complete block

2 Likes

I have noticed that some groups have a culture of exploiting new bros.

I was correcting some standings for my alpha in a caldari noob system. Some guy had bought up almost every limited ocular filter in the region and relisted it at over 500% it’s usual price and then spammed local about what a great deal it was.

Surprise surprise it was SICO.

8 Likes

:point_up_2: this

One idea worth considering that wouldn’t hurt and would not change mechanics but would increase visibility of potential problems for newbies would be to change the dialog box of corp invitations/application when the corp in question is at war - make it more visually apparent that the corp is at war (ie. so you don’t have to open up the corp window and read the fine print) so newbies can think twice before joining.

:crossed_swords: Notice: This corporation is currently at war! :crossed_swords:
<Brief description of potential implifications>

Yeah that might have beem useful during the whole icanp debacle.

It appears on corp adverts. But if the corp are spamming invites, the new recruit will never see it.

3 Likes

Best solution is to turn on friendly fire.

All corps that have more than X number of players cannot have friendly fire off. Id set that at 20.

2 Likes

Set the mail charge to max.

At least make them pay for their annoyance.

–Gadget charges for her time

Good question. Since CCP removed all tools for players to deal with such corps it should now be up to them to go after those leeches.

2 Likes

Let me do a wild guess: Silent Company?

2 Likes

corp invite scam is a institution in eve

Them: “it would be nice if players still had the tools to attack and shut down these assholes that are preying on newbies”.

You: “WAAAAH YOU JUST WANT TO KILL NEWBIES”.

I swear, you’re worse than Naari/Nooori/whatever alt it’s using now.

Because if you mass invite anyone who is willing to join you will invite people who want to kill you and have the means to do so, not just clueless newbies to prey on.

3 Likes

SiCo disappeared after inviting me?!? Why didn’t I get a notice that my corp dissolved??

:stuck_out_tongue:

With CCP encouraging everyone everywhere to join to this sponge corps I don’t think they will do anything.

Lack of knowledge is not CCP problem. It’s part of learning curve.

“Noobs” aren’t the ones dropping fat loot and paying out thicc ransoms. Get out of here with that carebear chop logic. No one’s paying war fees to attack day-olds in Velators.

7 Likes

Why are you playing EVE at all if you hate one-sided PvP so much? Players picking targets they know they can kill and refusing your idea of “honorable PvP” has been EVE’s default since the day it was launched.

And how do you propose to do this in a sandbox game where a core principle of a sandbox is that the developers don’t force any particular interactions or player alliances/enemies? Especially in the context of third-party killboards that CCP does not have any control over (outside of removing any kill/loss notifications entirely)?

Kill boards track ISK efficiency, and that is the primary metric that most PvPers use to judge competency. Pure kill counts are completely meaningless and everyone knows this.

And new players aren’t exactly known for their extravagance.

Their changes are what led to mass wardecs to begin with. There’s like three groups responsible for 95% of all wars today.

Why? Because it’s no longer viable to conduct wars in any other way.

I’d know, since I personally initiated about 3,000 of them in my lifetime. And been part of thousands more.

Majority of war groups are predominantly staffed by alts, aside from the leadership and power players. Most of these players are extremely wealthy, and in fact have to be, because wars are net loss on average due to the fees, unless you’re really good at selecting targets.

The concept of fighting “half-decent PvP corps” is completely nonsensical because these groups are the PvP corps. What exactly would the standard be measured against? Some 0.0 bloc? Like I said before, most of these guys have their characters in those as well (or WH groups). They’d basically be fighting themselves.

I’ve been a part of almost every major high-sec war group over the years. I’d know.

Of course they were blue; you basically told them to fight themselves.

I don’t know which sphincter you’re pulling your information from, but all of it is wrong.

Sincerely,

A person who has done every form of PvP in the game for 15 years.

1 Like

This. CCP has, over the years, made changes with the direct and foreseeable result of pressuring war aggressors into forming large corps/alliances that declare war on everything they can. Agree or disagree with the result, it’s indisputable that it is what CCP created.

6 Likes

Agree.

Tora predicted this a year ago when the changes were first announced

Tora

1 Like