New player vs. High Sec Mining Bots

I’m just starting out and I can’t seem to find any asteroids to mine in high sec due to what I assume are mining bots. It’s a group of ships that seem to mine everything in the area and warp out simultaneously to a new belt when the current belt is empty. They just warp around the system looking for asteroids to mine.
As a new player, how am I supposed to compete against that?

2 Likes

Try other security systems, try gas cloud mining in Wspace like a ninja

Scan and roam for abandoned high value drones around after down time in ice belts, these can net you huge isk

Salvage

Hang around perimeter or a gank gate with a fast hauler ready to loot and dock up, big isk here if you get it

I have tried 5 jumps out and haven’t found an asteroid to mine. I don’t know what gas cloud or ice belt mining is. I assume I don’t have the skills learned for that yet. I assume I don’t have the ships for ganking even if I wanted to. I just want to mine some veldspar to pay for some decent equipment. If feel like I’m stuck in the starting area with no way to progress in the game.

First don’t mine, if you want to earn money and you aren’t a high-sec carebear there are much better ways to raise capital and not be afk. There are many activities that pay more such as ratting wormhole exploring and all that, you really should just do what is fun. You don’t really need the most expensive stuff. About what linux man said about ganking, he meant loot the ganks. Gankers will not salvage wrecks and you can swoop in and get some money.

Also the ice belt drone thing, just go to agency > resource harvesting > ice belt requires no skill to steal other’s stuff. Also, for asteroids look in the overview tab for them, usually when you warp they are like 70 km away.

Don’t worry, the start is hard for everyone. Just stick to what you find fun and isks will follow.

1 Like

Keep going out then. There is plenty of ore in highsecs. Maybe not next to a trade hub, but only a fraction of the 1000+ highsec systems get mined out daily.

Also, make sure you have belts and asteroids on your overview. Maybe you are just missing them.

1 Like

Not everyone who mines wants to get isk-rich. If your purpose to playing EVE is to amass ISK then it’s your problem.
I mine to build things and I don’t build things to get isk-rich either but I do it for fun because, y’know, it’s a game and games are for - you guessed it - fun.

Which system? I want to mine and build things for fun too, orca/hulk fleet at the ready

This is what we call “competition”

I assume that people want to make money when they say they need to pay for decent equipment. I know its a game. If he wants lets say 10m to buy modules I am sure the average person would want to spend 10 minutes getting that instead of 4 hours mining.

1 Like

Oh… he wants to get isk-rich too.
Never mind, my bad.

Look at the map and look for dead-end systems, they are usually fairly empty of players. You can also look at the map and there’s a setting for number of pilots in each system, or at least number of jumps, etc.

Dray

Some missions also have asteroids you can mine in them as well. How lucrative that is, I don’t know as I don’t mine. And I’m talking about security missions so you would have to clear it out first.

some relic and data sites have asteroids as well. you’ll need to probe them down though.

@Aeryn_Noranti be very careful about the advice you choose to follow in this game. There are a bunch of people who will enthusiastically describe in absolute terms what you should and shouldn’t do, and most of the time the truth is somewhere in-between, or somewhere else entirely.

I’m message you in-game about your question and since my corp is mostly a mining/industry/PI/PvE corporation I’ll see if there is a way that we can help you out at all.

As far as the post by @Vuoliganar_Madeveda goes …

The problem with this statement is the fact that, as @Vuoliganar_Madeveda well knows, spaceships don’t grown on trees, or for that matter spontaneously materialise in your hanger.

Almost all of the spaceships in EVE are constructed from large quantities of minerals, that have been refined from even larger quantities of ore that has, somewhere down the line, been mined, probably by someone who does, well, mining.

@Vuoliganar_Madeveda is only too happy to fly and destroy ships and that’s fair enough because PvP will always be a seriously significant thread in the narrative of EVE, however it’s not the only narrative.

To deride the very people who facilitate, at least in part, your style of play, namely miners, by referring to them as ‘high-sec carebears’ does seem a little churlish and ungrateful to me.

I’m sure that it stings a little (or maybe a lot …) to countenance the reality that the ship that you love to fly, in part, depends on people who play the game in a way that you despise, but this is the reality of EVE - put simply, if we didn’t mine, you wouldn’t have any ships.

You could of course eschew the ore that miners extract, pause your PvP activities, get yourself into a barge and go and mine asteroids to accumulate enough ore to build your own ships, but hang on … that would make you … a miner! Yikes! Don’t do THAT!

You might like to consider therefore not deriding people who play differently from you because, whether you like it or not, they’re as important to the EVE ecosystem as you are.

Just a suggestion.

I’m not wholly sure about this as a strategy being recommended to a newbie.

According to the gankers own manual, they normally fly with a minimum of three pilots - a Spotter, a DPS and a Looter/Salvager. The primary role of the salvager is … wait for it … salvaging the wrecks left over after CONCORD has taken out the ganker (and they’ve warped away in their capsule).

If a newbie did try to scoop up and steal the loot of gankers, from under their very noses, I suspect they’d receive fairly short shrift, pretty understandably.

No don’t do this.

Or rather do do it. If your aim in EVE is to attach a longstanding reputation to yourself as a lazy thief who nicks the hard work of others (and believe me when I say that, lots of people in EVE have very long memories), and also to get utterly blacklisted, then this is a good way to realise that < ahem > ‘ambition’.

Whilst it might be acceptable to loot a container that a miner is foolish enough to leave in space after warping off, the idea that swooping in and nicking stuff from people simply because you’re too lazy to do mining yourself is ever going to be seen as okay by a lot of pilots is about as likely as the Hulk being adopted as the preferred Class 6 wormhole mining ship of Goonswarm. LOL

:mouse:

2 Likes

Batphone Code.

Several problems with this post. If you choose to quote me please quote the entire statement so that things I say do not look bad out of context. By that sentence I was stating that mining, as a new player is not in any way a good or fun way to make money. With a venture set up with some mining gear, mining veldspar will net you like 1m per hour.

Before you tell me to not make this game a job in his second post he literally states that he wants to pay for decent equipment. What pays for decent equipment, isk. In fact, I also suggested some other ways to make money to help reach his goals faster. I do know that spaceships don’t grow on trees. I even suggested to explore wormholes, an activity which gives parts to craft other things. Without the large quantities of wormhole loot, you wouldn’t have the best mining modules. Those parts have been collected, probably by someone who does exploration.

I never said that I did pvp. In fact, I don’t so your argument doesn’t even make sense. Pvp is an isk negative activity anyway so I don’t see how I would be suggesting that.

By your other point about high sec carebears, you are right I shouldn’t have mentioned it.

I do understand that, yet mining only makes good money IF you mine the right stuff and usually if you have a ton of alts. The semi-afk nature that allows using multiple alts at the same time is what makes mining good. For a SOLO player mining veldspar, mining is not a good isk activity.

Here you seem to start insulting me for no reason, I do mine for ships on a second monitor, I just don’t mine for isk. And then again, what’s this? I don’t even pvp. Wow!

You make a lot of assumptions here, I was merely suggesting to not mine for 9 hours for some modules.

I didn’t recommend this I was just clarifying what the other person meant so this shouldn’t be addressed to me.

Also not my recommendation.

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.