New Tutorial Feedback/Comments

Thank you for the tutorial. I cannot compare it with an older version of it but I can say it is interesting as an introduction to the game’s universe.
The NPCs are just hard/easy enough for a new player to learn combat mechanics and ship handling and it plays like a mission thus effectively an introduction to the missions as well.
Aurora is cute and sassy enough to become endearing. I think she has a crush on me. I shall hope our relationship will grow into a partnership that’s beneficial for the both of us. To bad she only exists as an A.I in symbiose with the ship I pilot and too bad further communication from her is impossible beyond basic ship functions.

New 5-day old player here. Can’t compare to “'old” tutorials obviously. If you mean the Career missions, I think they were excellent at teaching me the ropes!

I see a LOT of questions in the Rookie channel that are answered by these missions (You need to shoot the warehouse !!! It says so in the mission journal !!!). Either new players skip them (and they shouldn’t), or they blaze through just for the rewards and don’t pay attention to the details. Or they just don’t know about them? If too many people just skip them, maybe more advertising about the free ships (and the money made from selling them) would increase the popularity of the missions. I got my fully outfitted Algos just from selling extra ships from the Career missions…

Ok… To be fair, I did go above an beyond. I did all career paths at all three Career stations in my faction’s home territory. It’s possible that I picked up more tips on my second or third pass that I had missed during the first set. There might also be the fact that there are some similarities with ED, so some mechanics were already intuitive to me, I don’t know… Is it intuitive that you need to shoot an asteroid with mining lasers to mine it? :slight_smile: Or that the cops are NOT there to protect YOU, but instead to punish aggressors?

I think that they provide a lot of information, but that some information can be easily missed. What was most frustrating was jumping into a new area, having the mission marker tell me I need to warp to the mission area, and having the button greyed and not clickable. It took me quite a while to figure out that I could find a working clickable button in the right-click menu. That was not intuitive…

I don’t like to have to discover all game mechanics on my own. I like to have my hand held a little in the first few hours of a new game. I think the Career missions do a very good job at holding a Rookie’s hand for their first few hours in the void.

o7

Tutorial worked just fine for me…

Brand new player - just started yesterday.
Got about 1 minute into the Tutorial and then it says “Target the enemy ship” - “Use the Lock On from the list on the right.”

Lock On is not one of the options in that list .
Baffled by the tutorial - not a good look :rofl:

Edit : Got past this problem - turns out you can only “Lock On” to a ship within a certain range. How a noob is supposed to know that while in the tutorial, I can’t imagine.

3 Likes

Stepped through the initial tutorial and made my way to the career agents on a new alpha account last night. Being very familiar with the game, warts like the one pointed out by @Gaseouslessness are certainly there. I know targeting ranges exist. I know weapon ranges - optimal and falloff - exist. But crucial things like this are neglected. I also realize that no tutorial could possibly cover every little thing that goes into piloting a ship - else it would be weeks long.

@Fenrir_Duskblade mentioned the Rookie Help channel - that’s an invaluable resource, and the ISDs do a great job answering questions; much of the time, they link directly to a section of the EVE University wiki. As has been for years, a fabulous resource right there.

(1month player) : the enemies in the tutorial are way too easy
most people will get a shock after they encounter the real ones in their newb frigates^^

one of my friends did encounter a triglavian and attackd him (because he was red lmao) i guess u guys know what happend xD he did wonder why he could oneshot any npc in the tutorial but could not damage the trig ship for 1% xD its super funny but for someone who doesnt know the game it might be a problem and hell no ccp im NOT saying make the game easier but make the tutorial npcs abit tougher so new players get a better feeling for what type of enemys are waiting for them in new eden

Ok well the last industry tutorial really sucks. The blueprint thats given requires ore that can be only be mined from low security. Sending players only 2 day old into low security is not a great idea as i found out, thanks to some ‘ganker’…i know an english word for that.

To show how a blueprint works shouldn’t be that complicated or high risk, that mission definetly needs revising.

But you don’t need to mine that ore, let someone else do it for you if you don’t want to handle the risk of going to low security space. Buy the ore on the market instead. That’s EVE!

1 Like

Whilst you can just buy the ore from the market and reprocess it into the minerals you need OR buy the mineral you need from the market (or for that matter simply buy the actual item itself from market and hand it over), this is supposed to be a tutorial and should have a blueprint that only requires things you can get locally yourself.

It’s just another example of the lack of attention to detail, lack of joined-up thinking and lack of basic Quality Assurance that’s endemic in EVE right now.

No offense but how much isk does a new player have on their 2nd log in? The little amount of isk I had was being better spent elsewhere. Also I was enjoying the intitial introduction into industry mining, it seemed the best way to accumulate some isk to buy skillbooks and ship modules so was mining and selling the ore on market to do that.
On the last task you are given a BPC of 5, as a amaar mine was for a Tormentor. I took this a great starting gift to get started industry after the tutorial finished, ie mine the ore to builld all 5 and sell to reinvest in another BP.
To complete the task you need to get a packaged Tormenter in your hold. I already had enough of the others ores to build all 5, those extracted from kernite were the only requirement so this seemed simple and profitable.

The task can easily completed without the need to buy ore anyway, players are given a tormentor by another agent, so this can be repackaged to complete it. This doesnt however give you the full industry experience of building your 1st ship from scratch, which certainly comes across as the tutorials intention.

As the other commenter the pointed is it should be BPC that doesnt require low sec mining and a quick intruction to being webbed and blown up. Is getting ganked supposed to be part of the tutorial?
Tutorials on WT i remember are completely seperate from the main action and have no impact on new players; perhaps there should be something similiar for new players on eve. I’m aware now that eve has a test server to try ships and fit, perhaps they should adapt it for rookie players before the decide to commit to the game long term.

I do think the upcoming industry changes take out the low sec ores for small T1 ships, so that will solve the issue.

I’m sure some if what I’m going to say here has been hashed out a bit already, but it’s just past four in the morning so I’m going to go ahead anyway.

When the new tutorial was released I made myself a new alt, started the tutorial and then discovered that interrupting the tutorial caused it to stop completely and that to get it going again you had to open a support ticket to have it reset. This (unless it’s been fixed by now) is friggin daft.
I also found that it’s been removed from the Agency window, also daft in my opinion.
It needs to be put back in the Agency, and it needs the ability to do two things, pick up where you left off and the ability to reset it your self.

I’m not sure who said it after the release of the newest “new user experience” but it was important:
CCP needs to listen, and listen closely to the veterans who sit in Rookie Help day after day and answer the exact same questions year after year. These questions indicate an area that the tutorial needs to address, be it a bug or a mechanical issue it doesn’t cover. There are both sorts and the people helping new people know what they are, and in many cases have a long list of them.

Neither the tutorial not the Career Agent missions cover something that is integral to learning Eve.
I had a conversation yesterday with @Destiny_Corrupted about this and it’s important.
The main thing new people need to know is how to deal with PvP. This stuff should be in two parts, the tutorial and the Career Agents, the former for simple corvette on corvette free for all and the later as a series of missions of some sort where multiple players need to fight to accomplish a goal.
The very basics are something like this:

They need to know how and when to fight.
They need to know what Concord does and doesn’t do and why.*
They need to know when and how to escape.
They need to be taught how the safety system works and why.
And most importantly they need to know that it is going to happen no mater what they do.

Not teaching people this when they are brand new is a big part of why they quit in the first few days. They get killed before they even know they are in a fight and don’t understand what happened or why. They don’t even know how they ended up in a pod, what a pod even is, or how to get out of it into another ship, even a Corvette. Again, this is one of the things the veterans in Rookie Chat have to go over again and again.
CCP could do a very simple thing to fix this:
Have Aura pop up and say “I see you lost your ship” and then guide them to the nearest station and show them how to get another one while explaining what a pod is and why they have one.

*Explaining Concord and highsec PvP is a nightmare, I don’t know what to suggest on this other than perhaps simplifying the rules somehow. I’ve tried to explain it to veterans who are ages older than I am and it takes hours. How a tutorial could fix this is beyond me with the current mechanics.
How do you explain to someone “here are the rules (all five miles of them in three point font), if you break them Concord will kill you, all of them can be exploited and abused by people who know what they are doing”?

This also brings up something I talked about with @Destiny_Corrupted and that is misinformation.
When I was brand new I learned in Rookie Chat, (and later from lots of other people who believed the same thing) that after a lot of griefing CCP introduced Concord to tone it down to some extent, apparently this isn’t the case and Concord has been in Eve since the beginning. I’ve been playing for almost two years now and just learned that this is false yesterday. Thank you for that Destiny, I don’t like being misled much at all. It’s not helpful. You have gotten me thinking about what else I might be misinformed about… It’s not a nice feeling at all.
New people have enough going on, and don’t need bad information even if it seems harmless, it just adds to the learning curve.

One last thing, teaching people to fight with sleepers in the very beginning is a really bad idea, you might as well tell them to go pick a fight with drifters, the outcome will be the same. The only thing preventing this from being a total fiasco is that sleepers are generally in wormholes. Still, why have them fight some of the most dangerous NPC’s in the game when there are perfectly good pirate factions that they will encounter as soon as they go to an astroid belt during the very same tutorial?

The main point I guess is that CCP needs to listen to what new players are dealing with, and they need to listen to the people doing the actual work of helping them. When I was told by some random ISD person I had to file a support ticket to reset the tutorial I was flabbergasted. I didn’t bother, that isn’t supports job, their job is to fix actual problems, not fend off silly decisions by whoever implemented this foolishness.

1 Like

There’s several teams that handle different situations… under support ticket, that could be GM’s or it could be other staff whose only job is to fix game issues like someone stealing mission loot or resetting a bugged mission or in your case resetting a tutorial mission…

They’ve had a New Player Experience Team in place for almost three years now, and if anything the Tutorial and Career agents are worse than when they started.
It’s a joke.
Spending 1 hour in Rookie Help will highlight where ALL the problems are.

2 Likes

TBH I learnt a few thousand times as much from Rookie chat, my corp, and individual (anonymous) friends.

1 Like

I have trouble conceiving of the idea of removing the resume button or whatever it was in the agency and replacing it with an actual person being a good idea from any standpoint.
When I really was new you could just go into the agency and pick up where you left off, it wasn’t a big deal, now you have to send in a ticket to an actual person who then has to reset it for you and then inform you that they did so. I wonder if they have the weekend off…
The equivalent of this in what I do would be to take my job and make three people do it when only one is needed. It’s a good thing I run my own business, that sort of crap would piss me off. I can just picture telling the guy who does my welding “I hired two more people, you are going to look at the stuff being welded, wear the welding helmet and tell the other guy what to do, but be careful, be can’t see because you have the welding helmet. Meanwhile this other guy will be banging on slag, getting in the way, and unless we get another person maybe he will be adjusting the welder. Oh, and I’m going to have to pay everyone a bit less because now there’s more of you, sorry about that”.
I should go get my self a management team and a human resources department, that should change things for the sake of changing things.

I tried this on a new account to see what’s up and to help a friend through it.
Unfortunately the friend found the tutorial so boring and managed to forget all of it by the end though I chalk this up to them not eve.

I completed the tutorial and found it to be informative and concise, I think aura is a nice touch and honestly albeit it being a little slow does the job well.
I think the problem comes when players are hit into the career agents. I pray to the high heavens that you’re working on a mission rework as missions are already dull but the career agents even more so.

The GMs communicating with new players is a nice touch though. My friend got contacted but unfortunately he dropped out long before he finished learning anything.

I am a new player who just started, still doing career agents. I heard that you need a destroyer to do the SOE epic arc, but I don’t have the money to fit one. can anyone donate some ISK to me plz? thx.

Please don’t ask for isk, by the time you are done with career agents, you’ll get a destroyer, plus have some isk to get it fit and be able to get better mods throughout the Arc until you get to the last pirate to kill.

Tutorial was OK, but there was an annoying but I had to get reset by asking for support. I think it was the industry agent. I don’t remember what it was but I had the thing in the cargohold and it didn’t recognize it as complete and it would be nice if the tutorial had no bugs.

Also, in the “make cap booster 25” please make sure the blueprint copy number matches the number to deliver for the mission, this mission wasn’t supposed to teach people to shop around for stuff, but it was supposed to be another industry example. If it wasn’t supposed to be an industry example, it would still make more sense to increase the copy number and make it an industry example since it would fit in better. This isn’t a bug, but more of a “it doesn’t make too much sense I have to do this” kind of thing.

The third thing is sort of a wishlist that probably isn’t going to happen ever. Sort of a “how to save you pod” thing would be nice. But even if you put in special NPCs who would the the only ones in the game to shoot at pods, I seriously doubt it will be enough. You’d have to dedicate 30 employees just to train people, and given this game’s three month retention rate, that almost certainly would be a waste to dedicate people just to perfect a live tutorial. Do these three things and the tutorial would be perfect, but that’s not going to happen, so at least iron out the bugs.