New user thoughts

Removed off topic/nonconstructive posts

2 Likes

My experience is in line with Khufu. A lot of work seems to be needed to make it more fun for new players starting out and to allow new players to bridge the gap a lot quicker. The early game content all seems a bit old and neglected to me.

You used to start with 10k SP and a Rookie ship. Now you start with over 1 million SP with a referral, plus you get piles of free ships, ISK, modules, and skill books running the tutorial and career agents (that were all added for you). Your hands are already held enough. You need to just sart making friends, that’s literally all you have to do now.

I started in a pod and it took at least 20 minutes to figure out how to find and dock in a station…then i got my rookie ship.

I usually have my new alts up and running in no time at all now. But I agree that as a complete noob it’s not at all obvious what to do, and one can waste a lot of time and skills queue doing the wrong things.

But that is also where joining a good corp is by far the best option. There’s no end of experienced people willing to give a hand and explain things. Many corps even offer free ships…my latest job in my corp is handing out free implants for noobs. Some corp members even offer noobs ISK, protect their ships as they head for corp HQ, and so on. Plus most corps have mining fleets complete with boosts and compression, PvE fleets, PvP fleets, WH fleets, etc, etc.

EVE is much more newbie friendly now.

The fact you don’t gotta update your clone LOL.

3 Likes

I’m a 2 week old player, with a new alt I created last night. My main is a miner/industrial character, I’m learning the ropes of blueprint research and manfacture, and doing a bit of mining on the side. I’m enjoying it, and even the occasional time I get hunted by players while trying to collect valuable ore for my production queues is a lot of fun. Gotta keep an eye out while mining, of course, even in hisec.

My new character is going to be more combat-focused, but I’m looking more at missions while I learn than PvP. I’ll probably run into players occasionally, and that’s fine. Even while mostly not getting any SP passively because it’s an alt on the same account, I’ve got a decent chunk of basic starting SP from career agent missions and the progress that comes with them. I’m only a day old, so I’m not even in destroyers yet, but…

…I’ve seen players in tthe rookie help chat in-game (if you haven’t been using that, I recommend it, lots of helpful advice there for a new player) who rushed into battleships within their first week of play. They weren’t performing up to standard in those ships, but they were able to pilot them and equip appropriately-sized weapons for the job. More sensible progress has still involved players being past the point of flying cruisers and starting to fly battlecruisers after starting a day to either side of me. This is without using skill injectors, just using starting resources a new player has access to, and being patient enough to get appropriate skill training (level 3 or more) in not just the ship but also the primary weapon type you’re interested in using, and some basic skills to buff your ship’s primary tank.

My alt has spent about 5000SP from the tutorial’s starting pool and the first set of beginner’s rewards (none of the recruitment bonus million SP spent yet), and I’m already at level 3 frigates and small turrets. I could train medium turrets to level 3 and destroyers to the same, and get the first level of cruisers in under 2 days of passive skilling if I kept that active on the character. This wouldn’t put me in a great position for using a cruiser right off the bat, but with another day or two of building up to level 3 cruiser and training a couple of tank-related skills and other relevant things from the “magic 14” I could jump into a cruiser and be more than capable for PvE content, and also viable as a support player in fleet-based PvP if I want to take that route. I’m not going to rush that, and I don’t plan to keep passive skilling active on that character for more than a few hours each day, and I plan to build up my destroyer skills a little before moving on to cruisers, so it’ll probably be a couple of weeks rather than a couple of days by the time I’m actually going into those ships, but that’s well short of your supposed several months, even while I’m actively doing things to slow myself down.

You should definitely get advice from sources other than the one you’ve been speaking to so far, they don’t sound like they’re being very helpful to you at all. Good luck! o7

1 Like

Missions are easy once you learn the aggro.

6vx6e4

1 Like

Phef.

That you call “already”?

5000 SP is NOTHING.

It only feels fast initially because you are at low levels of skills and basic stuff. Wait untill you get to tech 2 lvl stuff.

1 Like

yeah but small guns and stuff don’t take all that time
the bigger the ship the slower to train

When the complaint is that it takes “months” to get to cruisers, talking about progress in those early levels is relevant. Because you don’t need T2 everything to be effective, and level 3 small turrets gives you access to medium turrets, which you want on a cruiser, and level 3 frigate gives you access to the destroyer skill book, which is a stepping stone to cruisers.

1 Like

Are you sure he meant t2 ships and not merely t2 modules? Because I don’t see the appeal in t2 ships, especially the cruisers. Looks like money wasted to me.
Could it be that he meant to say train for t2 weapons/modules and for t3 destroyers?
That would make a lot more sense to me.

HACs are sexy but you can do plenty in a T1 cruiser.

In a group as well.

Can apply good DPS or support easily.

First off, it would have been easier on the reader if you gave more specific info, how many SP do you have, did you train all the fitting skills (mostly engineering section and whatever your racial tank skills are), or are you attempting to x-train into different races and weapons, do you have a focus or a broad interest, are you alpha or omega ?

Second, one of the biggest challenges I encountered in EvE was to stay focused on what I wanted to do. With over 500M SP to collect (no one has them all, afaik), and hundreds of skills (and ships), the focus is a must while the distractions are plenty. In order of importance I would advise: fitting skills, SP for the activity that generates you income, then SP for the play style you prefer, with a reasonable goal for a ship hull. Most long term players in EvE consider anything PvE a grind, a means of income. To make the grind as painless as possible, optimizing the ships (hence SP) for those activities is a priority.

Third, the “best” ship is usually the one you have the highest skills for, including for the handling, the fitting and the weapon system. Even then, the ship’s role will be limited mostly to its assigned (designed) role. One can pump a lot of SP into an interesting hull and its use, and still be quite limited into what one can do with that ship. Tech2 ship hulls are prime examples of that, btw.

Four, the proverbial open door, a bigger hull type isn’t better, it’s just different, and it doesn’t guarantee being able to do more, only being able to do more of the same or tougher challenges (like in mission running).

Five, don’t get trapped in cross-training races and weapon systems early on. Instead focus on the supporting skills for your current weapon system (usually the racial one, lasers for amarr, hybrids for gallente, etc). Supporting skills e.g., tracking, optimal range, cap consumption, rapid fire etc do boost the performance of your current ship. Also push the weapon system for your race to tech 2 (!). A simple merlin with t2 blasters or even railguns is a very fun ship to fly, one which can run the SoE arc without breaking a sweat if you are skilled correctly. Added advantage: supporting skills are cross-weapon system and hull.

Six, the 4-5 days you push into getting racial frigate 4 to 5 opens up all t2 frigates (which may have an additional requirement which usually isn’t high). The 10 or so days to push cruisers 4 to 5 opens the path to tech2 hulls of that class (same proviso). There are many skills like that, opening up entire branches of ship/weapon tree. Doing it that way saves you a lot of time vs. hopping from one ship type to one that is on an entirely different branch of the tree.

Seven, and perhaps the most difficult challenge of all, you have to dive into the nitty gritty aspects of ships, and find out what they really can do. If someone advised you to jump to cruiser hulls, which use a different level of weapon systems (small → medium), I would have advised you to stick to the current weapon system and adjust the hull … Meaning you would achieve more and faster if you simply invested into lvl 5 for destroyers, and next put your pilot into a t3 tactical destroyer like a confessor, or a jackdaw or a svipul (not the hecate at first, its role is more specific due to its weak tank), depending on race and weapon system you have ambitions for. It’s a very fun class to fly, you can even run anoms in w-space if your supporting skills are high enough - that’s how good a (tactical) destroyer can be, with the weapon system (small) you already trained into. That’s a big difference in time spent on training, which you can now use to optimize the supporting skills or prepare for your next mid-term goal.

Eight, be smart about building your training queue, and be aware of the training level vs the reward from the skill itself. A 5x training multiplier for a skill with 2% bonus per level should be of lower priority than a skill with a 3x training multiplier with 5% bonus (there are cases like that e.g. in the missile supporting skills) . That way you can feel the return on your investment of training time a lot faster. Also, a tool like Evemon (see https://wiki.eveuniversity.org/EVEMon) will help you considerably, and can even advise you to remap your attributes (however, be very careful with this feature, remapping is not useful for periods shorter than say 10 months).

Making choices in this game, it’s perhaps the biggest curve ball the devs ever created :slightly_smiling_face:
With good planning and a steady focus you will have a lot more fun a lot faster.

Hopes this helps you moving forward with a bit less frustration
o7

2 Likes

It does not take “months” to get into a cruiser unless by “get into” you mean “everything perfectly maxed out”, and if that’s the case why shouldn’t it be a significant time investment?

I’m not sure why he is willing to take the advice of ‘someone’ who told him he needed to be ‘T2’, but not the advice of literally everyone in this thread telling him the opposite. The absolute best, most knowledgeable pilots I know fly frigates, a lot of them T1 frigs. I would rather fight 95% of the players in this game in a HAC or T3C than some of those dudes in a Slasher.

2 Likes

It’s just most likely a doom and gloom alt.

Or it just exposes how the younger generations really can’t use Google well :smiley:

4 Likes