Note for Hilmar

In Russia we use patronymics, which aren’t quite surnames, but are very similar, in this way. If you want to be polite, you call someone by their first name and patronymic.

In the case of Hilmar, I think most of us only address him by his first name in part because it is a bit disrespectful. Not to put too fine a point on it, but I don’t consider him a shining example of leadership and business sense, he’s more the kind to see a trend only after it’s gone mainstream, and getting a product ready just in time for it to become passé. If Frontier had been ready at the height of the crypto/NFT hype in 2020, it would have gotten a tonne of free publicity for the way it’s been built around the blockchain. Instead it loudly proclaims itself as such to a market that now views crypto mainly as a way to pay for drugs, and NFTs as a particularly dumb scam. If Vanguard had been out in 2018 it probably would have done very well. Even in 2020 it would have had an open market to expand into. Instead it’s an extraction shooter getting ready for release onto a market already oversaturated with better products.

1 Like

Not really, it is just good business ethics. I live in a “tri-city” area, where there are 3 large metropolitan cities within 20 miles of each other. One of these cities for lack of a better term is all white bread and mayonnaise. People working there can hit their thumb with a hammer and say “Oh fudge!”. Very Norman Rockwell community values. The other is polar opposite with a large black population, working there most cuss like sailors. I live in the third city which is a nice blend of both communities, but I still cuss like a sailor.

Corporate etiquette refers to the unwritten rules and professional behaviors that guide interactions in a workplace, including communication, appearance, and conduct. It helps build trust, respect, and productivity in professional settings. This was my suggestion to this forum. Unless I know any individual on a personal level – and desire them to respect my opinion – I must show some respect toward them.

Have fun!

While I agree, FC Hellmar is enough.

People will use his first name tho, even more when angry. Your proposal is too formal for a video game. Even in my job interviews people don’t call me Mr. “Surname”, the programming “world” and related are not so formal as business “world”.

E.g. lots of people refer to the creator of C++ as Bjarne, not Mr. Stroustrup. To be honest, I never saw anybody calling him by his surname.

1 Like

Just to add a view - I work for a multinational Top500 group which is very hierarchical. Nevertheless we have the written rule to address everyone on a first name basis, no matter if you know him/her or not, just to equal out said hierarchies again and have a more clearer and direct conversation to the point where you don’t hold back because you have to think about the hierarchy and whatnot.

1 Like

@Asgidur_Hurtini & @Power_Armor yes I understand. If you were instructed to address by first name then you are following policy. As if was pointed out by @Cypherous earlier, other companies and cultures have their rules of etiquette as well. I never been to Japan but I managed to offend a lot of French people in Paris without trying. Some Japanese customs seem like they are still living in their feudal era. I imagine they would burn me at the stake shortly after my arrival.

Sorry to derail this topic. I agree with the OP there is nothing to be done with additional projects and the focus should shift to getting new players to stay here. Somehow I don’t think Exordium will be enough. In fact, I expect they will quit playing, while still protected within the clam shell.

Have fun!

To those running EVE Online today, it’s just an unwanted stepchild.

I get the feeling behind the “concentrate on Eve” thought but the reality is that there are damned few successful companies that only have a single niche mature product to sell. CCP/FC needs to diversify in order to grow and be profitable. Hopefully they can (after several missteps) finally find a balance between maintaining Eve and developing new products.

Very correct.

But from my PoV, I don’t feel the code base is refactored enough to deliver quality code with the min effort like the other studios do. And normally the same team multi tasks because the tools are the same.

Just a feeling.

I don’t mind if FC makes 200 fps titles, as long as they stop delivering bugged crap all the time. Sit the ■■■■ down and pay the tech debit first. We still have industry window freezing the UI to load the jobs, and it’s pure bad code, it freezes with 0 or N jobs. Same goes for the logs.

While I totally understand this problem is hard to fix in UI, it’s there for some years now… (I play on Wine, if it does not occur on Windows, just correct me).

It’s their company, but this is how I see things, you don’t let your main product rot pursuing the unknown, at least leave the product in a manageable state before going crazy. Every deploy is a mess, and not just one silly bug here and there, a real mess.

This has been pretty much the precedence of gaming developers for many years now…its pretty unfortunate indeed.

Its quantity instead of quality…and most of todays youth would rather have that because of how fast they eat up content in many games today.

As we said: Hilmar.

We get flagged if we use our nicknames for him.

He signed the news for FENRIS Creations with “FC Hellmar”…so i guess using this is alright, don’t you think?

1 Like
Technical, off-topic

UI doesn’t freeze. It just takes time to populate window with data, same way how searching takes some time. If UI freezes on your machine, try a fresh install.

It’s a fresh install, lol I just pressed facilities and everything froze…

Sometimes it does, sometimes not, may be the cache… It seems like a server sync problem, when it does not have cache it waits for the server in the worst manner possible, old code is old.

That’s my point.

Sure, but there are also companies who end up with a 1 hit wonder then fail to make anything else thats as good, just look at riot games, nothing else they have made has popped off to the same degree league has, and they have tried numerous times

Sometimes you just need to focus on what you’re actually good at making

1 Like

I agree in general. But in the context of EVE he has presented himself by his first name. He was CCP Hellmar and not CCP Petursson. That’s why he’s called by his first name.

Hard to compare a massive success “one hit wonder” mass market game like League of Legends to a 23 year old super niche game like Eve, sorry.

This note is so exciting.

When do you think Hilmar will respond?

2 Likes

We can see him logging into one account right now!

/stretch that, thought his pilots name was Sargon.

Its not hard at all, its just evidence that riot cannot make another game as good as their first despite what they try

In that regards CCP and Riot are in the same boat, both had a product that they were good at making and then anything else didn’t work as well

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.