Null sec combat sites - identifying Tower Sentry Drones to maintain 45kk isk/hr with T1 Cruiser

Hey all,

I currently spend time ratting in null sec combat sites in drone space.

My goal at the moment (we all have weird quests in eve right?) is to find the best cheap setup but with enough dps to pay for the hull in one tick followed by the mods in 1-2 ticks. I am currently refining a T1 cruiser fit that makes over 15kk isk per tick with moderate to low skills.

Anyway. Drone horde sites give me a good opportunity to fulfil my quest as the battleships offer rewards c.1.2kk isk each.

The challenge is adding just enough tank to survive the burst waves of cruisers/battle cruisers which can see upwards of 20 rats on grid with you whilst having the DPS to chew through those battleships for their bounty.

I also like to semi-AFK this whilst getting on with work.

The problem that slows down my isk per hour and has gotten my idiot self popped a few times are these Tower Sentry Drone III’s which have a 250k range and output very high damage (relatively speaking if you’re in a little cruiser with poor resists).

Some drone horde sites have them and some do not but I can’t seem to identify that before warping in.

If I land on grid with 15k ehp passive shield vexor and see sentries, I can overheat invuln and AB and warp off before my hull takes damage but I have to warp to a safe or station and repair before I can then go back out.

If i try to warp from one combat site with sentries to another, I die (I do this a lot without thinking resulting in lots of in-warp-cursing lol)

Question?

Is there a way to identify Tower Sentry Drone III’s BEFORE you warp?

Note: Whilst I await your insight I am going to take a mobile depot:

Drop depot in safe with a range of mods
Fit out either super strong OTT passive tank OR take a shield booster
Warp in, if sentries, warp to safe, hide site on scanner, refit shield booster, repair, swap fit
Rinse and repeat

This will reduce efficiency.

Alternatively, If I take this lack of efficiency into account over many hours of ratting, I suspect the iks per ticket will drop from it’s peak with a T1 vexor of 17kk isk to 12-13isk per tick.

If the ship costs c.30kk isk to buy and fit, that’s an payback period of 50 minutes instead of 35 minutes. Perhaps a cheap battle cruiser or battleship would offer a better return.

For anyone interested, here’s a cheap Vexor fit that can rat in null sec and draw in roughly 15kk isk per tick with moderate skills (not all V’s):

[Vexor, Vexor Null Ratting PVE Passive 400dps]
Drone Damage Amplifier II
Omnidirectional Tracking Enhancer II

100MN Y-S8 Compact Afterburner
Omnidirectional Tracking Link I
Eutectic Compact Cap Recharger
Large Shield Extender II

Drone Link Augmentor I
[Empty High slot]
Salvager I

Medium Capacitor Control Circuit I
Medium Anti-EM Screen Reinforcer I
Medium Anti-Thermal Screen Reinforcer I

Hammerhead II x2
Hobgoblin II x1
Hornet EC-300 x5
Imperial Navy Praetor x3

Thanks o7

1 Like

Yeah, I don’t think there’s a way to know for sure if Sentry Towers will or won’t be in the site.

As for the ship, I would think a Battlecruiser is probably better since they can usually fit a better defense and apply more DPS without sacrificing much mobility. Also the most helpful thing you can do while running the sites is pay attention and not be semi-afk.

Other than that I wish you good luck and much success.

Nice one, thanks dude.

I just have to scout in something heavier and hide sites with drones. Suppose it’s not too inefficient.

1 Like

Scout them with a pod that is all the hordes and mark the right ones then get to work.

Decent idea. Why didn’t I think of that!

Anyone calculated the required tank to tank all 6 (or 8 I forget) sentry drones?

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.