Of small shield boosters

False equivalency: the sleipnir is a command ship and the ferox isn’t. Also shield boost bonus, ferox has nothing.

If you wanted to compare oranges to oranges then the vulture is fairer.

1 Like

Oranges aren’t std’s or a fungus. Stick with the theme, Caleb!

Elite, the matari already have omni resists on their t2 hulls and instant capless dps, gtfo here!

For PVP I quit trying to use small shield reps. They are pointless. The cycle time per point of shield rep is to low. It is actually easier to just get your passive regen up high enough to when you get down to 25% you will rep more than any small shield repper.

For PVE I use shield reps because I dont feel like waiting for things to rep up over time… but in PVP you often have a few minutes between fights… win or lose.

That is not the issue. Two seconds cycle time is fine and you get 1.6 seconds with heat.

The big deal breaker is that the hp per cycle isn’t high enough to even come close to what a small armor rep does in 4.5 seconds.

Very true. Very true.

And that is basically what I said… but poorly.

HP per Cycle is to low.

2 Likes

indeed.

1. armor ships can’t up-level their repair module, cruiser+ can fit large/xL shield reps
  2. shield ships have passive regen
  3. shield reps hit at start of cycle, armor at the end

these issues have been hashed out for a decade now, those are the main differences between the systems, and reasons why the modules aren’t identical in power

And yet show me a tech one frigate fit that uses a t2 small shield booster and wins a fight against an Incursus or Punisher.

I’d personally opt for a small shield booster bonus to a few ships which could really shine with it (Such as the Jaguar) rather than a boost across the board, primarily because shields regenerate passively.

This is a hawk fit ive tested a bit on sisi

it can kill an enyo (with nos) in 1v1, so I guess it’s mission success? Basically worst case scenario and it CAN pull ahead.

[Hawk, Hawk fit]

Crosslink Compact Ballistic Control System
IFFA Compact Damage Control

Medium Shield Booster II
Fleeting Compact Stasis Webifier
1MN Afterburner II
Small Capacitor Booster II, Navy Cap Booster 400
Initiated Compact Warp Scrambler

Rocket Launcher II, Scourge Rage Rocket
Small Gremlin Compact Energy Neutralizer

Small Anti-EM Screen Reinforcer II
Small Core Defense Operational Solidifier II

Zainou ‘Gypsy’ CPU Management EE-603
Agency ‘Hardshell’ TB5 Dose II
Standard Blue Pill Booster

Scourge Rage Rocket x1000
Scourge Javelin Rocket x1000
Caldari Navy Scourge Rocket x1000
Navy Cap Booster 400 x20

the point is you’d need to run 2 small shield boosters to get the same effective reps AND have less cap life for your trouble. Fair enough if you wanna drop 50 mil or whatever on an a-type small booster but if you’re sane you will take the t2 medium every time.

2 Likes

I agree. SSBs are trash.

Also, there is something wrong when I can fit XLASBs on a number of cruisers and every shield CS.

2 Likes

Hi,
only a noob alpha here but I have been looking at the small shield booster as it seems to offer some intriguing possibilities which hold up in the testing I have done orbiting npc and looking at the damage profile orbiting at their optimum, half fall off etc.
I read an interesting article about imperium who were unable to capture/destroy a keepstar due to the way in which damage is applied, not through lack of ability or effort.
If you look at shield regeneration when you get to zero there is a delay before your shields start to come back. My observation puts this at 3 secs.
No shields, no resistances, more damage applied to armour. Utilising the cycle time of a small shield booster 2 secs ( 15% bonus if overheated ) or one of the more expensive ones such as Caldari Navy ( 1.6 ) reduces the delay, shields back quicker hence benefits of shield resistances.
I was told the fastest fire rate that can be achieved is 1.92 secs. So a overheated 2 sec small shield booster gets under this fire rate and hence while the boost is small the impact of getting your shield resistances back far quicker is significant.
If you take this a step further armour tanked fleets with armour logi support.If all the fleet had in their midslot a small shield booster then the damage over time is significanly less thus making logi more effective.
This makes the small shield booster have a similar function to the reactive armour hardener.
This is just based on my observations of damage application.It works on the combat npc missions I have run. Scaling up to fleet application seems reasonable.
Balanced slot distribution between mid and low seems the way forward.
I have used a Prophecy ( 7 low, 4 mid ) the Myrmidon ( 6 low 5 mid ) should work better.

1 Like

Shield resistances only get applied to damage that is done to shields. Any damage beyond what little shield you have gets into your armour, with only your armour resistances modifying it. For an armour tanked ship with much better armour resists than shields, the tiny amount of shield EHP added by a small shield booster would make no difference. There are better things to fit in your mid-slots.

IF shield resists got applied to all the damage provided there was 1 shield HP at least, then your suggestion would work, but that would severely alter the current balance of the game (cut incoming explosive damage by half just by running a small shield booster? Hell yeah!)

Hi,
thank your for your reply.This is what I observed based on one of the npc missions lv4 running a Prophecy with small shield booster.
4/5 fast ships firing a high damage emp missile rush the start of the mission. Me as a low skilled Alpha bugged out as I was getting trashed.Lots of reading later came across the same mission.
Slapped on a small shield booster as I had been fiddling around with it.
Shields quickly went but the Armour repper could now keep up whilst I picked them off.
So for example instead of being hit by 5 shots high to low 50. When the shield booster kicked in, it sometimes affected 1 sometimes all 5 hits. As I said just based on my observation. Damage mitigated across the spread of shots meant my repper could keep up.I am no expert on the game mechanics but what I observed seemed to echo what the article I read referenced. I also noticed this behaviour in NPC ships with shield regeneration when I got into armour then shield boosted back. I found that my 4 individually fired missile launchers applied more damage than 1 group of 4 and 2 groups of 2.
I do not understand what is actually transpiring maybe someone else could run some tests and see what they observe.

Fly safe

2 Likes

that makes kind of a sense : when the damage is dealt to the ship, it seems more efficient to consider only shooting through the active layer’s resists than to first hit the layer, then u-apply the resist to remaining damage, apply second layer resists to the damage and deal them to the second layer. Which means, a fast shield booster would also mitigate the damage dealt to armor (using shield resists)

1 Like

In 1v1 maybe, depends on a few other factors. I like rockets vs armour reppers for a similar reason, being able to punch every second cycle in to their hull while the repper plays with its tail is always nice. You will find that many battleship pilots die in between armour cycles. You beat their reps, not their rep/s.

Small shield booster, particularly a-type, have a place in pvp on low sig kite tackle that doesn’t take much damage to begin with. It’s pretty much a drone nullifier that doesn’t run out like the asb. When a medium can be fit it always should over a small if the capacitor can take it, obviously.

why fit a small booster when a medium booster fits

You don’t. That’s the point, small uses less to fit. Why would a Hyperion use a small rep if a large fits?

…and thanks to some Ferengi they only cost 100m now.

1 Like