Off-Topic Thread vol. 2

Else, are you really so convinced of your unambiguous righteousness that you think I’d be on your side if I weren’t associated with Directrix Daphiti?

I would not.

If we leave aside my oath, I’m a foreigner to both parties. To the extent that your conflict with the Amarr is a matter of your people and theirs, it’s none of my business. To the extent that it entangles the Federation and State, though, it becomes the business of every Caldari citizen and client by proxy.

My home, Achura (Saisio III), is in the Caldari State. You know the State. We’re a bit friendly with the Amarr? We’re a bit formally at war with your nation right now, along with the Federation? I might be jaalan, and worse, but I’m no traitor, and the Matari habit of constantly speaking of “your people” constantly reminds me that “your people” are none of mine. Even if I’m a little sympathetic, that doesn’t keep me from seeing the balance of power-- and the importance of maintaining that balance for my people’s sake.

When I look at you, I see someone who thinks everybody everywhere should go all-in for her people because apparently they’re innocent victims and deserve everyone’s help, but who’s far too busy trying to right the wrongs done to them to care much about collateral damage to people who aren’t hers, innocent or not. All-out war between you and the Empire probably means all-out war between the Federation and State, since neither can let the balance of power shift against them.

But you don’t care, do you? You think it’s worth it. Maybe it is, for your people. Your people are fanned out across the stars, so maybe you can afford to lose planet after planet after planet to your longed-for war. We don’t have that luxury. With rare exceptions, the Achura are confined to a single world, and we don’t control its starports. All it would take is one doomsday strike and we’d likely be functionally extinct.

When I look at you, I see a warmongering wretch, a threat to what passes for peace in this cluster and therefore to my home.

I don’t talk about this side of my thoughts much. After the harm I’ve done to my family, I barely have the right. But that doesn’t make it less true.

Even without Directrix Daphiti or any other attachments to the Empire, you’d get no help from me.

4 Likes