Off-Topic Thread vol. 2

The fact that I tried to do better should count. But then again, coming from you–easily one of the most despised women on the IGS–maybe I ought to appreciate my own credit.

It could only count if people were aware of it. Now that you’ve let people know? Of course it counts. Even if it counts, though, it doesn’t mean the other didn’t happen.

And you don’t hear me whining about what being me has wrought, do you? People judge me based on what they know of me. People who know more, use more to judge me. People who don’t… don’t. I wouldn’t expect any different.

2 Likes

And yet it’s still really none of your ■■■■■■■ business.

Unless you want me to inform you of everything I do, just so you can cast your little judgements on it?

:red_circle: BULLETIN BULLETIN BREAKING NEWS: MELISMA RAMIJOZANA TOOK A ■■■■ TODAY :red_circle:

Lede:

Unlike Vaari’s, it wasn’t runny.

Maybe you don’t whine because you aren’t aware of it.

Which is a shame. It’s truly entertaining. Haven’t you wondered why hardly anyone cares to get into a discussion with you anymore? Why no one seems to react to or even read your posts? It’s because there’s no point. For those who care to win debates, there’s no winning against you; for those of us who only wish to inform, there’s no convincing you or even getting you to consider a viewpoint other than your own.

Not only that: You beat everyone over the head with your supposed facts and dictionary definitions, but for all your self-professed truths, your points are only ever formed on your own emotions. Your perceptions. Your deep-seated fears, and your insecurities. Who the ■■■■ wants to waste precious breath arguing against those?

Because honey, it’s hilarious. You should see the way people cringe at the idea of engaging you on any topic. At the idea of being in public with you, in a room with you, having to listen to your diatribes in person or via fluid routers. People from all walks of life. Capsuleers, baseliners. Republic, Empire, Fed, State, Anoikis. Loyalists and independents. I can’t think of a single faction where I don’t know someone who thinks you’re a blight on the cluster.

What’s it like to be one of the few things the IGS can agree on?

1 Like

I mean, looking through everyone’s individual IGS statistics, Arrendis also appears in more people’s “most liked” category than anybody else.

While post volume certainly plays a role in that, it still wouldn’t happen if she didn’t say things people read and agreed with.

I’m also not sure that there’s anyone who is universally liked by all members of any faction, to go on a previously made point.

Basically all of us have people who hate us. It comes with the territory and I don’t really think she has many more than most other frequent posters.

And I can see yours up Arsia’s.

2 Likes

Unless you want us to take it into consideration when we’re deciding how credible you are. You can’t have it both ways. If we’re supposed to be factoring it in, well, that makes it our business.

Do you really think for even one moment that I’m not aware of how people view me?

I don’t care how people view me. I am who I am, and why should I give a damn about anyone else’s opinion?

Good.

Pretty damned meaningless. Again: Why should I give a damn about anyone else’s opinion?

Here, Mel, lemme make this abundantly clear to you:

I’m a Goon. Worse, I’m a Goonswarm Director. You get upset about people on the IGS not liking you? I have tens of thousands of capsuleers who hate my guts without ever having talked to me, listened to me, or otherwise encountered me in any way. People who will insist to their dying breath that I should be drawn and quartered and killed in the most painful ways imaginable just for existing. I’ve had people who are a lot more knowledgeable and experienced than you single me out and call me a cancer on humanity that is personally responsible for unfathomable degradation in the state of the human race throughout the cluster.

If I was as hung up on how people see me as you are, I wouldn’t be able to get out of bed in the morning. I wouldn’t be able to breathe. I’d be too busy having anxiety attacks. So really, if ‘but people don’t like you’ is the best you’ve got? Bring it, honey, because I live with more targets on my back every day than you can even comprehend.

For the record, I ussually do read and engage with Arrendis.

I’d get involved in this mess but I’m still crippled and having a panic attack because Mel called me basic in another thread. I take offense to that because everyone knows I’m acidic. :laughing:

Pro tip Mel: Lighten up. Not everyone hates you. I certainly don’t and for the record agree with many positions that you espouse (including protecting innocent civilian populations from war atrocities). But, come on, why do you care what I or anyone else thinks of you? If you know in your heart that your position is just it shouldn’t matter.

3 Likes

Is there something wrong with wanting to be accepted by others?

Captain Rhiannon in particular is a sore point for Melisma. She’s looked up to that woman for years.

Hero’s are often disapointing. We often tend to forget that they are just people, like the rest of us.

6 Likes

Not at all, but if one wants affirmation and applause IGS is not the venue for it.

1 Like

Granted, to a large extent I would concur. But there are beacons of hope.

1 Like

The distinction between hope and expectation is an important one.

1 Like

This. So very much this.

And yet, human instincts prevail.

True, absent reason; humans submit to whatever instinct dictates to them.

Sure, but let’s face it, that thread’s really just a ‘hey, let’s take a break every now and again from being argumentative jackasses and remember to do more than tear people down, ok?’ It’s more of a palate cleanser than any kind of… meaty… source of affirmation. Someone says something nice. So one person says something nice to them. If someone goes to that thread seeking approval, they’re not gonna get much of it.

That said, of course there’s nothing wrong with wanting to be accepted by others. But wanting to be accepted by others and getting anxious and stressed over ‘oh no, someone doesn’t like me’ are vastly different things. If you’re going to go defining who you are and whether or not you’re content with who that is based on ‘am I popular??’ you’re never going to be happy. Never.

You’ll spend all your time trying to be popular, and then trying to stay popular. You’ll feel threatened when the next ‘IT newb’ comes along and people pay attention to them instead of you. And all that effort spent trying to be popular will strike a fair number of people as vanity, and as being false, sycophantic, and faithless… willing to abandon them if you think you can be more popular by jumping on the next bandwagon to go rumbling past with a big party on board.

Just be you. Whoever ‘you’ might be. The people who accept you and like you… will continue to do so. The people who don’t? Screw 'em.

Human instinct is to be a social primate, following a singular strong leader for protection, and gang up on weaker groups to kill them if possible, drive them off if necessary, and do horrible things to them, just to keep them away from your favorite fruiting trees.

I’d think someone who argues against war should be focusing on overcoming ‘human instincts’, no?

1 Like

To be fair, I don’t think you have to tell me all of this.

I know how to dance, I’ll always be popular. :smiley:

To be fair, I don’t think it was meant for you specifically.

1 Like

I apologize, I was the one quoted, so I assumed.