Off-Topic Thread vol. 2

Arrendii

If I was to guess the plural, I’d probably think that the most likely would be “Arrendes.”

1 Like

Please report to the ego measuring facility, citizen!

Ahh, ego, the most pointless aspect engraved in our monkey genes.

1 Like

It is, in fact, Arrendisen or, in mass collective, Arrendisir.

Wait. When you put it that way, the translator wants to give me “one who yields”, or alternatively, “someone hired out”. It’s never done that before, and I’ve assumed it’s just a name. (Probably, it’s something completely different from either of the Artificial Stupidity ideas?)

Now there is a misnomer for the ages.

It’s the female form of an old family name that doesn’t have any specific meaning, so far as I know?

I could say so many dirty things here, but Arsia’d smack me.

Misnomer?
That’s the person who stabbed herself before the duel of honor to avoid the fight.

Have you been borrowing Mittens’ old Spinmaster 6000?

You know a product is pretty good, if it’s name includes -master. And when it includes a number as well, especially when it’s at least a three or four digit number, that makes it even better.

1 Like

I don’t know about that, you’re usually pretty eloquent.

1 Like

Thank you.

Generally speaking, I find it utterly absurd that someone who regularly refers to Amarr as Slavers and Marys would expect a “Mary” to be respectful of the terms a heretic rebellion calls itself.

Also, being precise in labeling is part of proper decorum.

1 Like

And I find it equally absurd that someone who has in the past placed strong emphasis on not painting with an overly-broad brush engages in it now.

And, you’ll note, I have not objected to you referring to “the Rebel Provinces”. That, after all, is the official designation the Empire uses for the Republic. Nor, in fact, would I particularly object to you referring to ‘the Tribal oligarchy’. Our governing structure can definitely be seen as an oligarchy—though of course, an oligarchy doesn’t actually fit, either. The Tribal Chiefs are not self-appointed or designated their portfolios due to great wealth, power, or personal ties to the Sanmatar.

Instead, each Tribe chooses its Chief. The Tribe, not the Chief, has a seat in the Council. The Chief is simply the representative officer the Tribe chooses to occupy that seat, in addition to other duties they may have. So is a small group of representatives of the masses, answerable to the people they represent, an oligarchy? How many of them do there need to be?

I have to say, that’s not really the commonly-understood use of the term. How many people would the Council need, in your opinion, to be a senate, not an oligarchy? Keeping in mind, of course, that the directly-elected legislature still exists, and still functions as a venue for legislative process. How small is ‘too small’, before selected representatives of the people is no longer a republic?

That tangent aside, what I primarily object to is the insistence on formal mislabeling: ‘The Tribal Oligarchy’. It attempts to pass that label off as a proper noun, when it is no such thing. And now you say ‘being precise in labeling is part of proper decorum’.

At what point does disingenuous pettiness become deceit, Gaven?

1 Like

As noted on other thread, I am open to the possibility that Oligarchy was not the correct label. But I also will not accept Shakor’s fiction that the post YC110 Government of the Rebel Provinces is the same state as “The Republic.”

How is making a specific comment targeted to Elsebeth “painting with a broad brush”? Or did you think I was still responding to you?

I think your whole schtick on this one is overly-broad.

And again, how is a council of representatives chosen by the masses not a Republic?

Did you just use Commander Adam’s name as a noun?

Affirmative.

1 Like

Quite right, my apologies.

1 Like