Off-Topic Thread vol. 2

It’s a pretty finite, half-assed religion that only applies to half of your life. “If you do religion on Mondays and Tuesdays, you don’t have to do religion for the rest of the week!” God created all things, so religion governs all things. The methods of science, along with philosophy, the arts, and all these other fields, are how we find understanding of His creation, and through that understanding, better ourselves. That is purpose of faith. In Amarr, we have the Reclaiming, which the most surface understanding people have of it is conquest and slavery but which the principles of also drives us to learn, experiment, and explore, to improve ourselves and humanity as a whole. In our peaceful times, those principles have pushed us to countless technological breakthroughs and discoveries, and to expand across the stars.

Science is where the faithful go to find God and discover the beauty in His designs. It is not some disembodied thing, divorced from faith, it’s part of it.

5 Likes

But I am not even sure if she exists, at least in the way you claim.

Not for the Amarr.

Science and Religion are the same. They are both the study of God’s work.

8 Likes

Nope. It’s directly anathema. Science is a methodology for understanding truth. The first, most essential step of that is: question everything. If you cannot provide evidence to support a claim, you don’t make the claim. If a claim doesn’t make predictions that can be tested, the claim is irrelevant, and you don’t make that claim.

Like ‘God exists’. Or ‘God doesn’t exist’. Neither one of these are scientifically valid claims.

Faith is belief without evidence. Belief in things for which you have evidence is just conclusions drawn from evidence. Science requires evidence.

2 Likes

Not this again. This has been said, done, kicked over…

…and at no point has Arrendis ever been content.

And at no point are you required to take part in a conversation you don’t want to be a part of.

1 Like

Not so! I want to be here, and honestly while I do not want to see you do the “fu fu God, fu fu science” thing for the twelfth time this year, I would like the chance to speak off-topic. About, for example, the recent cancellation of the marriage contract between Mr. Horse and his chosen spouse.

@Catherine_Gillot, is this a place where you can finally explain how this marriage was meant to happen?

So is religion. Science is part of our religion. It encompasses every aspect of our lives.

I am evidence. You are evidence. The universe around us is evidence. History is evidence. Granted, a lot of the subject matter is still above our comprehension, but so were many things we now know at one time.

We live in a cluster with a lot of beauty in it: flowers, animals, planets, nebula, and all sorts of other things. Plants are beautiful. Animals are beautiful. Nebula are beautiful. You’re beautiful.

The cluster is filled with various planets that we have been living on for a long time, and countless more that became useful for us as we grew more and more knowledgeable about the universe in which we live. This wasn’t an accident; it was a plan. It’s all laid out too perfectly not to be. There remains plenty of room yet for us to expand going forward.

On a similar point, it’s hard to believe that a group as dysfunctional as humanity has survived for as long as it has without some sort of protection and guidance.

I’m sure at one time long ago people said the same about other planets besides the ones they were on. You know? Way back when verifying such would have been far out of the reach of humanity. When you’re so small, as we still are, grasping the bigger picture can be quite hard to do. Understanding God and His Word are tough and science is the method by which we try.

That seems rather condescending to those of us who have religious beliefs. Evidence you personally reject doesn’t cease to be evidence. I would define faith as ‘a secure belief in god and an acceptance of His will.’

You’re an exceptionally intelligent person, Arrendis, but you come from a different world from the Amarr. I don’t think you understand how we experience our faith.

4 Likes

Does the evidence either
a)directly demonstrate the existence of god
b)require the existence of god in order to be explained?

If not, then it is not evidence for the existence of god. It’s evidence of something, but what that something is can’t be claimed with any authority.

Edit: In fact, you’ve given me a perfect example of what I mean…

It would have. And anyone claiming to know planets existed then would not have been employing the scientific method. Let’s say for a moment that there is no god. Ok, so if there’s no god, then people who say ‘there’s no such thing as god’ are right.

But that doesn’t make their claims scientifically valid. They’re still making a claim for which there is no evidence. They’re still asserting something they cannot demonstrate, and cannot test. Something which cannot be put to scientific scrutiny.

Being right doesn’t make it science.

2 Likes

Aren’t your folks?

I guess, but technically that’s none of their business, and I have 3 siblings that have a life far better suited for babymaking than mine.

2 Likes

Hold up !

Mr. Horse isn’t getting married now ? Omg what happened ?

I don’t really know, I never met soon-to-be-Mrs Horse. But I guess the plan was to go to the city hall and get the papers signed and then have a party or something?

Twice already. I’m not happy about it, but I don’t think they will be the last. So it goes.

Also…

Ew? Why would you roast a fedo?

My dear, we may be Brutor, but we aren’t barbarians.

I think they¨’re not referring to eating it raw, but that eating a fedo is like eating a bag of noxious and possibly deadly farts.

There’s much more to preparation than most realise. It’s important that they’re hung for a period of no less than a week, much like the Amarr do when preparing heretics.

Once the fedo has swollen and split, most of the, as you put it ‘noxious and possibly deadly farts’ evacuate the cadaver. Obviously it’s important to allow for good air flow during this period and hanging fedos in an enclosed space isn’t advisable.

We then watch carefully for the appearance of fly larvae who won’t hatch until the point where even they are prepared to eat the flesh. The fedo is now safe to cook and consume.

The whole process takes around two weeks and is well worth the wait. The larvae can be collected and dessicated, then served as a fitting starter. Nothing is wasted.

Delicious!

I’m going to be sick…

They literally consume filth. Everything they eat is toxic. They’re not safe to consume. Ever. Just because maggots can eat them doesn’t mean people can.

Ewww.