Off-Topic Thread vol. 2

Again, I have answered on it already. Early colonies wouldn’t have survived if we were isolated from them.

Knowing Gallente atrocities in Black Rise it’s quite likely they have exterminated Caldari population in the colonies under their control and make big eyes at you: “What Caldari? There never were any Caldari!”

It’s a troublesome truth to me.

I am a spiritual man, a Wayist. The Maker speaks to us, and tests us, that through adversity we may find the strength to survive. To me, the State has always been the expression of belief – through self-denial and abstinence; hard work; a love of duty and obligation; respect for the established order. A temple built by my ancestors that I worship through the measure of my own labours and sacrifices. Testament to the resolve of my own people to face the Maker’s tests for us with resolute determination to overcome hardship together.

That there are those who consider themselves Caldari who live outside the Temple of the State can only make me think their ancestors betrayed them and led them down a false path in the Federation away from the Maker’s Will. They are the inheritors of a great betrayal, nothing more.

This is unfortunate, but it falls to us, the citizenry of the Caldari State to remain faithful to each other and lead by example, that through our great works and labours we show ourselves worthy of the Maker and the tests that remain before us.

1 Like

So, back before spaceflight, did all settlements on Caldari Prime do things the same way? Did every village have to build everything precisely as the others did, or did each group find their own ways to meet the tests of survival in the hard, unforgiving environment?

I ask, because it seems to me that those Caldari who remained in the Federation would seem less to be betraying the solution to the test that your ancestors found, so much as simply that their ancestors… found a different solution, a different, no less communal, way to survive and overcome hardship together. They’d be no more ‘betrayers’ than members of other megacorps would. Instead, just like other megas, they’d be rivals: people who’ve found a solution that isn’t the same as the one you adhere to, and which is competing with your solution, but… in the end, which represents simply one part of the many survival strategies the Caldari people have found, to ensure the best chance that the Caldari will continue to survive and thrive, no matter what hardships arise.

More diversification into available niches is one of the best strategies for avoiding extinction, after all.

2 Likes

To be the same, but different does have an element of truth to it. I admit, I might have a prejudiced view of those Caldari that chose to remain in the Federation for historical reasons. The secession left an open wound in many respects that feels only partially healed by time. There’s a bitterness, resentment perhaps? To those Caldari in the Federation, at least on my part. A sense of choosing division instead of unity.

Yet, they might be following their Way, for the Maker provides different tests for us all.

It doesn’t make the split feel any less acrimonious.

1 Like

Of that, I have no doubt. I imagine in some ways it’s similar to the way many of us feel about Minmatar in the Republic who hold to the Amarr faith[1]. It seems alien, it feels like a betrayal… but if we are to be self-sufficient adults, that means making our own decisions about what we believe… and allowing others to make theirs. We can’t dictate their beliefs to them any more than we’d allow the Amarr to dictate ours. We find our own way, all in all.

1. This is different than the situation with the Ammatar. While there’s plenty of overlap, the majority of Faithful Minmatar weren’t collaborators the way the early Ammatar were. And that changes things.

3 Likes

The middle-path is always a difficult one to walk. There is always the trap of black and white binary choices, that if one is correct then the other must be incorrect. In this case, that if we in the State are correctly exercising the Maker’s will, those Caldari in the Federation must not. While, upon reflection, I do not think this to be the case, I recognise I can still fall into such a trap especially on a topic as emotionally loaded as the secession.

Thank you for sharing your insight Arrendis, sometimes such thoughts are required to be shared to ensure a return to a middle-path, with better judgement.

Do you know, for example, that Tibus Heth himself was born in the Federation. Yet, he proven himself to be rather Caldari, escaping the Federation and fighting them as all of us should.

On the other hand, for those who choose to stay there voluntarily, I wouldn’t apply name Caldari at all. There is no Caldari bloodline. There is no Caldari race. Only Caldari State.

This scum whom I won’t even call people - they betrayed their culture, they betrayed their ancestors, they betrayed logic and reason, they are weakling, who fell for gallente brainwashing or for gallente coercion to become their pets.

Ex-Caldari who voluntarily stick to Federation is a filth that is more stinkier than Gurista!!

Storm Wind is always a trickster. When Storm Wind speaks, all too often she speaks through pride and anger. We think Storm Wind is strong, for in the thunder and rain we can no longer hear other voices speak to us. In such moments, some might think Storm Wind is the strongest of all, and she is indeed mighty, but the storm is always fleeting. When the sun breaks through the clouds, Cold Wind is always there, just as Cold Wind has always been there, ready to chastise those who listened too much to Storm Wind for being lead down wrong paths by the sounds of thunder.

Sometimes it is correct to listen to Storm Wind, when anger is justified, or when battle calls to give strength to our hearts, and resolve to our will, but we must never forget her trickster nature – she always mocks those who mistake being loud as being strong.

I think in our treatment of those Caldari in the Federation we must not forget, all those who still listen to Cold Wind are Caldari. We do not know the Maker’s will, unless it is through The Way of our people and ancestors. If Caldari in the Federation still listen to the Winds, then we should not let our anger and pride become arrogance that only we in the State still follow the Maker’s will.

4 Likes

This is for that.

1 Like

I feel I should answer more fully the difference in conceptions of Caldari between that of the State and those still in the Federation:

It is a matter of historical record that the Gallente imperialists through their “Cultural Deliverance Society” sought a systematic divide and conquer strategy through regime change on Caldari. At the time, this was possible because the Homeworld was a divided planet with different ethnic houses and nation-states which could not respond effectively to the Gallente program of subversion, propaganda, and socioeconomic liberalisation.

Learning from history, the Caldari conception of culture is that which emphasizes the strength of unity without ethnic divisions dividing the collective will of the corporation and State. Anyone can be Caldari in the State so long as they display their willingness to abide by the traditions of duty, honour, and discipline through their work for a Caldari corporation despite their ethnic origins. Ethnic tradition is important, but not as important as being Caldari – one people, one State.

Those Caldari in the Federation usually have a different conception. They are Caldari who can be called such only because they trace descent from the Homeworld and while yes, they are often more observant of ethnic traditions, they are different to what being Caldari in the State means: the strength of unity.

Providing the redirect here, just in case. :wink:

2 Likes

I wonder if the RJD will consider adding PIE to that list…

It seemed to me that a distinct number of those in PIE were appalled by the actions of House Sarum - in fact, Dame Elkin and Lord Newelle both signed and penned petitions highlughting their concerns.

May I take this time to celebrate Dame Elkin who, presumably, held true to her principles and highlight Lord Newelle who, apparently, sold out his.

It is a shame that, when it comes to the choice between comfort and correctness; between wealth and will; between what is right and what is righteous; that the road most trodden by prominent Amarrians is the one paved in gold.

2 Likes

Quite the contrary. I have kept to my word to my vows to my wife and her liege, and will continue to trust in Lord Arrach Sarum’s judgement on what path is best going forward.

Elkin has done something else.

1 Like

Sometimes I wonder if your wife keeps slaves for the sole purpose of cucking you…

1 Like

You mean come to her senses?

Ah, adorable.

She has those?

Apparently she does. I understand how foreign a concept that might be to those without however. I’ll let some one better at explaining (and has more patience) explain it to you.

Drinking, nakedness, spending habits and other such key military decisions discovered at the tavern.

St. Tetrimon troops big drinkers? Pfft, I doubt we’ll find a corroborating source on that.

5 Likes