Off-Topic Thread vol. 2

I like to think so, but my point was rather that when a person fires on allies their continued esteem becomes meaningless.
KOS, at least I have no false expectations of friendship.

1 Like

Like sheā€™s ever was capable of adding anythig constructive. :roll_eyes:

Which is an absolute and utter lie.
But I repeat, since you have already disgraced yourself previously with your slanders about State officers, I donā€™t think anyone sane will fall for your ignorant words.

In that case you should have yourself to any Protectorate officer of my crew, or other officers with providing them details of your crime and face a fair trial for your slanders.

But I donā€™t think you have honor and dignity to do so, considering even in that your comment you tried to slander me again.

And untl you do soā€¦ Iā€™ll treat you just as a suspect criminal at large.
I am ally to Amarr Empire.
You are our enemy.

I think itā€™s more compulsiveness, really. Pedantry doesnā€™t really require self-aggrandizement or any particular belief in how awesome you are. Mostly, itā€™s just anā€¦ itch, really, when you see something wrong. And you have to scratch it. Sure, sometimes you can just let it slide, distract yourself with other concernsā€¦ but itā€™s thereā€¦ and if youā€™re not careful, youā€™ll remember it, and itā€™ll just worry and nag at you, slowly driving you insaneā€¦

ā€¦ or you just give in to that itch, and tell people exactly where theyā€™re technically incorrect.

Narcissism, self-hateā€¦ neither one even begins to describe it.

1 Like

I get the same about insults masquerading as polite discussion.

Such as calling people narcissist if they argue.

3 Likes

I think thereā€™s a time and place for arguments ā€“ such as when outlining a position or stance on a topic. However, and this is my own opinion, I am unsure what purpose can be served arguing beyond that point. I believe distinctions can be made between argument seeking to deliver a point and someone acting on the pretense of argument to act the provocateur and public instigator. I consider the latter a bit narcissistic.

I would also consider that conventions of polite conduct can restrain or limit discussion just as much as the conventions of deliberate instigation.

One personā€™s narcissistic agent provocateur is another personā€™s intellectual heavyweight. As with anything, it depends on which side of the line you fallā€¦

I am sure we all carry with us our own personal perspectives and prejudices. Inherently that is where I feel my difficulty with public discourse lies. I cannot fully discount the opinions or feelings of another human being as illegitimate ā€“ they are after all legitimate to the person holding them; neither can I feel I am able to empathize fully with many of the views expressed here on the IGS.

2 Likes

So there I was at the office, when this student comes in and says theyā€™ll do anything to pass the course.

Now Iā€™ve heard from some of the male members of the faculty that young ladies would make such offers to them. I.e. some kind of sexual favour in return for academic credit.

I donā€™t agree with such nonsense, so I said ā€œif you want academic credit for sexual favours, then the University of Caille does a sexology degree. Iā€™ll write your transfer papers right now. Otherwise get the hell out of my office and into the Library and studyā€

Needless to say, they were most taken aback, and promised to study in future.

3 Likes

Good work.

Kaalakiota and Sukuuvestaa Send Joint Delegation to Sarum Prime with Militia Warzone Ceasefire Negotiations on Agenda

May Wind-of-the-West favour the joint delegation with successful negotiations and clearly demonstrate Kaalakiota and Sukuuvestaa as forces of peace and good in their relations with House Sarum in order to hopefully prevent unnecessary loss of life in the Militia Warzone with a ceasefire.

That unlike the Gallente Federation who deploy their FIO to interfere in the internal affairs of others with hostile intentions, Kaalakiota and Sukuuvestaa at least will use dialogue and diplomacy as responsible stakeholders of interstellar treaty and accords

And thatā€™s all?
Itā€™s highly indecent and shameful behavior, they should be exiled from the University for that!
Or you could have brought them before his group and tell that to him so everyone else would hear that. Then they would themselves run from the shame. And it would be a lesson for others as well. Usually it is done in this manner. If you shame one student in front of everyone, either of them will think twice before doing anything shameful!

Also you probably should read them a lecture why such relations without marriage are disgraceful and should not be allowed. Obligatory lecture in extra time, and blame this student for it, so other students will be angry at him for too.

That sounds like a lot of unnecessary effort.

It is necessary. Kids in the University are to think about studies, not marriages or indecent activities!

If they want to think about indecent things, then let them. As long as they pay their tuition, itā€™s only themselves they hurt.

Well, yes ?

I teach Archaeology. Not History&Moral Philosophy.

2 Likes

Tuition fees? Without competetive admission? Thatā€™s not professional. That way universities will waste time on teaching dumb students with money.

Technically, yes, thatā€™s why you should make sure they donā€™t distract you with suchā€¦ ideas. And shaming them in front of the group simply answering their question loudly before the lecture for everyone to hear and see would make way greater effect even with the same words you have used!

Iā€™m not sure what group shaming would achieve in this situation.

1 Like

Your hostility towards freedom concern me, Commander.

Actually, freedom is essential part of us. Non-absolute, regulated and far from gallentian or minmatarian meaning, but still so. Citizen can choose his career path, good worker can choose between staying in his place or moving to position in management, CEO of Megas can choose corporationā€™s course of action and so on. State guides and suggests and community restricts, but final decision always lies in the hands of individuals. And you as achura have one very special freedom: you can keep your own cultural heritage while being integral part of the State ā€” something rarely given to non-caldari.

I donā€™t want to blame you, but want to warn. By moving that way person can come to mindset of one very well-known and controversial caldari: Sansha Kuvakeiā€¦ To idea, that all freedom must be taken away. Entirely. For universal well-being, for national progress and for whatever beautiful reasons. But do you see this as something acceptible or something maybe even just wrong?

Donā€™t let hate cover your sight at the whole. Because in the end Cold Wind always punish those, who blindly follows Storm Wind.

1 Like

Keep in mind that Kim has a pathological inability to use the term ā€˜freeā€™ in anything but the physical sciences sense: unbounded and without connection to other things. It has been explained to her countless times that in the sociological sense, it means ā€˜agencyā€™ or ā€˜self-determinationā€™, but she can only ever believe ā€˜freedomā€™ to mean ā€˜chaosā€™.

1 Like