Off-Topic Thread vol. 2

Why are ‘consultations’ always so seemingly endless, and seemingly useless?

Winds.

1 Like

I care because I’m apparently supposed to have some kind of Oath to help people hold me accountable, or something.

I care because I get tired of not knowing when I’m allowed to speak or not.

I care because I broke too many bones being beat up by Mannar thugs as a kid.

I care because I highly suspect that no one here actually does care what I do or who I align with, which makes all of this very, very pointless.

Are you? Is that what you think, or what others think?

Speak when you think it appropriate for you to do so. Just understand that others may disagree, and there may be consequences. As long as you accept that, you’re fine.

Then you continue to give those thugs power over you.

This place is not a place to convince people to care. This is a place where nearly everyone speaks without listening, and far too much. If you want people to care, cultivate relationships away from this place. Then, they will care when you speak here.

2 Likes

I don’t. I think oaths are ■■■■■■■■. People change. Circumstances change. The kind of inflexibility reflected by these oaths is just one reason why we keep getting into these pointless wars. And yet, even you yourself (as just one example) said that:

…and that’s not who I am at all. So, clearly, I’m doing something wrong.

And that’s why I’m speaking less.

You’re probably right on that count.

I’m not here to convince anyone. That’s not my purview. The problem is that people keep asking me questions as if they do. If I don’t answer the questions, then they turn around and tell people that I’m irresponsible, which damages my opportunities for getting work contracts. If I do answer their questions, then I waste my own time because no response I could give actually holds any weight.

See, this is a piece of advice that gets tossed out here all the time, yet the majority of the people complaining don’t do in-person meetings or don’t go to events.

People and circumstances do change, but obligations and commitments persist. As for the war… I think this war is possibly the least pointless thing in the cluster, right now.

On one side, there is a nation with an eternal, unchanging, inflexible command to expand and make all other human beings part of themselves. The authority that issued this command cannot be contacted in any demonstrable way, and no appeal for meaningful clarification, rather than minimally-informed interpretive guesswork is possible. Yet that command, and obedience to that inflexible, incommunicado authority is the singular, central purpose for the very existence of that nation. So long as that remains true, no war to claim territory and populace as their own can be considered ‘pointless’. Rather, it is the entire point of the Empire.

On the other side, a nation that has broken free of that control, and will continue to fight unto our last breaths to retain our capacity to define ourselves and determine our own fates. Again, I do not think that can be considered ‘pointless’.

You are partly of Krusual descent, from your public information. Do your Krusual relations feel the war is pointless? I ask this because you make a statement that appears to indicate that you feel our struggle to keep our citizens from being enslaved by a nation that is hostile to the very concept of other cultures is ‘pointless’. Yet at the same time, your next statement appears to mean that you believe you should be seen as more affiliated with the Tribes. Do you see how the one statement undercuts the other?

Neither of these is a thing you can control. Set them aside. Focus on what you can control: what you say, and what you do.

1 Like

No, I in fact did not. You did ask a question. But you did not “simply” ask a question like you claimed; you insulted, multiple times, while doing it.

And then you wonder why people don’t listen to you.

Socks. Discuss.

I put them in the same category as pants. Only when necessary.

I had a disagreement with none other than Diana Kim about the topic of socks.

I was of the opinion that putting on socks before any other item of clothing made one feel sexy in a naughty sort of way.

As I recall, she said something along the lines of that putting on socks in this manner is some kind of serious breach of uniform regulations, and/or a sign of Gallentean degeneracy.

1 Like

Somehow, that’s simultaneously absurd and completely plausible.

1 Like

Only if that’s where you stop dressing for the day…

1 Like

A common decision in the hinterlands?

1 Like

Forsooth, Saronu, I spring for heated floors everywhere. I don’t allow shoes to be worn anywhere I rest. Terrible for the carpet, for one thing.

It is presumably in such situations you developed such adept footwork.

1 Like

You’re too kind, my lady!

Not at all, I am sparing with praise. Without scarcity it has no worth.

1 Like

Well, I thank you all the same!

For socks, as it comes, I used to be of the opinion that dress socks must match the pants that you wear without any manner of exception. Then, later in life, it occurred to me that that’s absolute BS and that socks are actually another ‘accessory’ and follow the rules one commonly finds for accesssories, in which that they must compliment the outfit in some fashion (haaa) but aren’t restricted by the pants. Do I have a red vest and black slacks? Then I’m going to wear my bright red socks (the ones with the white horizontal stripes down them). Pink tie? Why not wear my flamingo socks?

It’s really that simple.

None of what I said was intended as an insult. If you interpreted them as such, then it’s only a sign of the little faith you put in my words.

Meanwhile, you still haven’t accounted for the very real insult you put to me.

You’re correct, and yet none of what you just described applies solely to the current war. I didn’t say that the struggle overall is pointless. I said that the current war–the conflict centered on Floseswin and nearby areas in the warzone, as a result of Sarum’s ‘Reclaiming’–is pointless. It was wholly avoidable, and in the end, the only change that might come of it would be changes to the administration of the warzone. The Empire won’t stop Reclaiming; its targets and its enslaved populace won’t stop suffering. The deaths in this conflict, both civilian and military, will be for naught.

Yes and no. As you’re likely aware, Krusual tend to view conflicts over slavery with a dispassionate eye. Relatively few Krusual were enslaved during the Amarr occupation, and their distance from that experience lends them to feel less pressured over calls to ‘come for our people’ and the like. To the Krusual in power, these conflicts are less about freedom and more about the power they wish to grasp for themselves.

That being said, my lineage comes from a line of Krusual that were enslaved by the Empire. We are outliers, and we are outcasts; while we do own some land in the Tronhadar Valley, most of our resources and power are centered on our refugee trust on Octanneve V. We are not in any way representative of the Krusual Tribe at large. We relate deeply to the suffering of our siblings in the warzone and in chains in the Empire, and our singular goal is to free every single one of them. We simply choose to go about it in a less direct way, playing to our own talents.

…Though with that being said, the clan to which I owe a life debt does also think that the current warzone conflict is pointless, for the same reasons that I described above. Not the entire struggle against the Empire, just the current matter.

What I do is the clearest indication of what I stand for. Yet I’m not aware that anyone here could accurately point to a single thing I’ve done.

As for what I say, I don’t see much problem with it. I’ll admit that I’ve been in a terrible mood lately, and I’ve probably been more harsh with my phrasing than I should have been. Yet the readiness of everyone from Rhiannon to Newelle to derive the absolute worst from my words is not a recent phenomenon, and apart from starting to address people like I’m talking to one of my child clients, I have no idea how to ‘control’ that.