Utari's Puppies (Formerly Off-Topic Thread)

Participation and support for a corrupt system that perpetuates oppression and misery is not kindness.

5 Likes

I wasn’t aware I was in a popularity contest. Anyway, any other playground power politics you want to try? Like saying that I have cooties, icky girl that I am.

Yes, her numerous participations in your thread sure were just bursting with empathy and kindness towards slaves.

2 Likes

If you want to persuade people, Ms. Teinyhr, it usually helps if they can see truth in the vision of the world you paint.

I don’t recognize your vision of the Directrix, my “slavedriver.” She isn’t someone I know.

If you want to persuade me (or her), maybe you could show us something we might recognize. Otherwise, it’s not that I’m not curious, but, if you and I inhabit wholly different worlds, why would your perceptions matter to me?

Why would I ever prefer any part of your perceived reality to any part of mine?

2 Likes

“I shall reject reality and substitute it with whatever I feel is most convenient for my biases.”

Good plan, stick to that one, I’m sure it’ll work out.

3 Likes

Rather certain you wounded Matari are the ones doing that.

1 Like

Who’s wounded? What are we objecting against now?

2 Likes

I think there might be a little of it on both sides, my lord. And, really, all around.

That Miz thinks that’s what I was saying is maybe a good example, though.

1 Like

“Nuh uh, YOU!”, really? You can do better, Aldieboo.

1 Like

That is a question for the ages, aint it. I don’t know this benevolent and kind Directrix you speak of either. Funny, it’s like people show different sides of themselves to different people.

1 Like

I like Luna. She’s always been nice to me.

2 Likes

Sure. Only, as her retainer, I spend a lot of my life at her side. So I’d expect to have glimpsed your “slavedriver” a time or three.

I never mistook her for a sefrim or celestial. She’s human for sure.

Are you sure you’re not mistaking her for something?

1 Like

It’s true. You are inventing a reality in which Lunarisse is a cruel slave driver manipulating Vesper for her own ends. Nothing could be further from the truth.

Lunarisse is a good woman. She is pious, she is generous, she is compassionate. She is a worthy mother, a strong leader, and a faithful comrade. You willfully know nothing of who she truly is and deny that Vesper’s loyalty to her has been earned. Instead you vomit the poisonous lie that it has been coerced through deceit. No one buys it except those who enjoy supping upon you hateful bile, so shut you putrid gob already so we sane people need not smell your stink.

1 Like

Citation needed. I’ve never made that claim. I have however pointed out what she does actively support both tacitly and overtly.

Citation needed. Seriously, I say a lot of things about a lot of people, I’m sure you can come up with something I’ve actually said to support your point, rather than make it up wholecloth.

Does it make it easier for you, if you pretend this is what we’ve done? I suppose so. Perhaps it is too difficult for you to actually respond to what gets said, so you just invent something that’s easier, then stick your head in the sand. This is getting pitiful, Aldieboo, if you so quickly run out of steam and have to tilt at windmills when we’re right here and open for any retort.

Your position can’t be particularly strong if you can’t even rely on it anymore.

2 Likes

You know, so has Nauplius always been nice-ish to me despite me telling him several times in no uncertain terms to just drop dead. If only being nice to someone was actually somekind of useful universal metric, but it is not.

…So wait, we’re not talking about Mitara Newelle? I did wonder several times why she was referred to as Luna, but I figured it might be a nickname. Gosh, I’m so sorry.

2 Likes

Well, my wife is an entirely different matter. She’s all of the things I’ve listed above, but with the addition of the will and ability to kick your arse.

1 Like

Um. No.

My friend Alizabeth is the lady admiral’s retainer. I’m the retainer to Directrix Lunarisse Aspenstar Daphiti, of SFRIM.

(Thank you for clarifying the confusion! Gods and spirits, that was getting strange.)

2 Likes

Honest mistake, there are just so many people to keep track of.

1 Like

It’s okay. I … will say that while I’ve been close to the Directrix for a while, and Lord Consort Newelle’s something of a mentor, it’s only pretty recently it’s seemed like the Lady Admiral doesn’t feel I belong in front of a firing squad.

I guess our worlds might have some overlap after all.

1 Like

Perhaps, Aria, if you don’t want to be perceived as saying that, you shouldn’t say that.

The very idea that your preference of reality has any bearing upon the actuality of it pretty strongly implies Miz’s statement, even if you didn’t intend it as such. This often seems to be your biggest weakness in communication: You make statements that are overly technical in order to make a point, but don’t quite appreciate how your words read.

In this case, your point—that you can only deal with reality as you perceive it; ie: your experience of Luna is one thing, and that is the Luna you know and react to, as opposed to any other facets someone might or might not see—gets somewhat eaten by your implications. Obviously, it’s not entirely overshadowed, since Teinyhr clearly understood, but it happens to you a lot.

As someone else who often gets overly technical to make a specific point in precision application of language, it’s an easy pitfall to stumble on, but it’s one you should seriously avoid. I mean, I’m an ass, but when I write something, I know the inferences I’m making, and the implications I’m leaving dangling in front of the reader, you know?

However, Teinyhr’s other point, which you’ve managed to completely avoid, still stands:

Napkins can act nice. He can even be kind, to people he values. So can That Which Shall Not Be Named Lest The Federation Be Destroyed. That doesn’t make them decent people. It’s a poor scale of evaluation that insists on myopia as a meaningful filter.

Don’t get me wrong: Luna’s a generally pleasant person with a very nice disposition and a relaxed, fairly gentle and personable matter. Heck, that’s part of what caused the primary trouble between her and Alizabeth: she places a premium on nice, on keeping everyone around her happy, and pleasant. And if maintaining harmony without conflict means throwing someone to the wolves, well, so be it.

Yes, she was upset, but in the end, the only virtue either of you stood for in that instance was convenience. Working through the issues would’ve been effort. Asking people to accept that someone with a background as a Caldari Assault Marine can discuss things like killing Gallente without it actually being an insult toward anyone meant making people upset.

Again, that was not kindness on display. Big picture, there’s absolutely nothing wrong with what Luna did—she maintained order and tranquility within the organization. But don’t mistake someone whose behavior is consistently about maintaining order and tranquility for kind. Especially not when they continue to uphold (even if they don’t personally participate in the direct activity) an institution of systemic abuse, assault, and involuntary restraint and servitude.

The pattern of her behavior is ‘nice when it costs me nothing, but don’t make waves, don’t be disruptive’. ‘Pleasant’ isn’t ‘kind’.

2 Likes

The difference is:

[quote=“Aria_Jenneth, post:6, topic:51016, full:true”]
vs

[quote=“Aria_Jenneth”]

One links to the thing, and if the thing is deleted, will also vanish.

The other remains where it is, for eternity. Though, it does allow the creation of arbitrary quotes, which people object to.

4 Likes