Old Man, New Pilot

While my account was created years ago, my actual game time spent in New Eden has been the past few days. So I’m thinking I’m pretty darn new.

So far, I’ve completed most of the career agent missions and found myself slowly getting the hang of things. Granted, there is still much to learn - it’s a 50/50 chance I leave dock unarmed, have no ammo, or forgot to put that VIP in my cargo hold.

I’ve decided that mining is likely the industry for me (maybe a little salvaging on the side) because picking a fight has never been my cup of tea, but is there really anything I should consider other than fitting my venture and heading to the asteroids?

Also, when will my desire to horde go away? I understand that a ship in the hangar provides no value, yet I’m also partial to what little ISK I have and can’t fathom replacement.

welcome to EVE , convo Dorfsorc in game. he is a recuriter for multiple corps and can find the right fit for you. good luck

Thank you for the welcome!

Shall we play a game?

Stick with it.

2 Likes

Iam new and I hope someone could help me. I have not been able to logon and enter the game. I

You might also like planetary interaction and industry. Oh, and if you’re not big into killing ships, perhaps you might like saving them.

Everyone loses ships -it’s a natural part of Eve. If you can’t accept any loss, then this is the wrong game for you. But, if still want to stay, (1) Don’t fly what you can’t afford to lose, (2) always get back up no matter what, and (3) try to learn from your mistakes.

Hey. I’m also a new player and also old, I started playing last week and found that combat isn’t necessarily my thing here for now and that it’s going to take a loooong time to learn anything, partly because of what the game is and partly due to being old.

I’ve been looking into other play styles that don’t require situational awareness or quick reactions too much and found a few beyond mining: trading is an option (which is why I created this character, just starting with that), Planetary Interaction (not tried it yet but seems rather relaxing) and manufacturing but not tried that yet either, seems to take a lot of knowledge and understanding to do right so I’ll do that last.

I found a really good trading guide for starters, the guy also has a whole video series where he shows you everything that needs doing and takes you along with him. Have a look here (the music is a bit distracting though): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Y2v_DFEQ5g

You might enjoy it.

3 Likes

One should always be situationally aware.

Don’t be an oblivious cow. Things tend to not go well for oblivious cows…

That is certainly more doable. Actually, being situationally aware will often prevent one from getting in a situation where one might need fast reactions in the first place. That is your best defense.

What should be and what is realistically feasible can be two different things. Being new already creates challenges, being old amplifies those challenges.

True…but like in other areas of life, compensate for any lack of physical speed with guile and experience. :slight_smile:

I’m an older gamer as well. Reaction times are starting to slip. PVP is lower on the list, while industry is my main thing. Manufacturing, Planetary Interaction, Research, Invention, Trading, Ratting, Missions, Scanning Sites, Scanning for abandoned Salvage and taking a Noctis out there, etc etc…lots to do if you’re not so inclined to PVP. I haven’t lost a ship since 2015, and I go into low-sec and null. If you know what you’re doing you can be a great defensive player, especially with the help of others.

Dray Cil

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.