One step to increase ccp income and balance ecosystems

Is this why hypernet relays are not considered gambling?

Edit; Sarcasm :rofl:

2 Likes

Nice, but that’s more of a generalization.

The fallacy of composition arises when one infers that something is true of the whole from the fact that it is true of some part of the whole.

I don’t really know where to start.

The significant difference is that the ISK or SP aren’t spawned out of thin air, not that PLEX are being bought and that the ISK and SP are coming from other people. The middle step is completely meaningless and could be replaced by something else entirely, as long as that which is bought is not spawned out of thin air. I’m pretty sure if the in game economy didn’t force CCP to do this, they’d let people buy everything directly.

You also still buy it from CCP, because everything is owned by CCP. You buy it directly from CCP, exactly because everything’s owend by CCP. That’s not me nitpicking, or semantics. No one’s buying from a player, everyone’s buying from CCP. The player is involved in the sense that he “created” the good which is bought by some other player and that he is being paid in ISK instead of real money.

If you look at it closely enough, you might get the idea people are CCP’s slaves, producing goods CCP can then sell and you get nothing of actual real world value out of it, despite not only paying real world money, but also putting real world time into it. Sure, it’s a game. Whatever. The point stands, though.

Karak isn’t wrong calling the game pay2win. People pay for better stats. That’s what people sub for. Better stats. That’s what people always do in free to play games, unless all microtransactions are purely based on cosmetics. Those aren’t the topic. When people buy golden ammo, or a tank, or a warship, then they pay for better stats.

When you subscribe to EVE, then you pay for access to the higher levels for ships, access to better implants, better turrets and whatever else. It’s not just ISK or SP, but people seem to be ignoring that? You pay money for better stats.

We don’t call that pay2win around here, because it is still different to what we usually get to perceive as pay to win. That doesn’t change what all these games have in common: You pay money for better stats.

Of course an alpha frigate can still beat an omega battleship. That has been part of the fundamental game design of EVE since forever. Fact of the matter is that, with equal playerskill, in the same ships and with the same modules, with the highest possibly achievable skills, the omega will always beat the alpha. Of course, otherwise upgrading to omega wouldn’t make any sense!

You pay for better stats and you buy them directly from CCP. They just let us “create” the goods they’re making money with. They’re not doing that because of their good hearts, but because the economy demands it.

That was longer than I hoped for, but there is a mosquito in my bedroom somewhere and I can’t sleep until I’ve squashed it. I’m going to kill this monster even if it takes hours until it shows up again. I’m not ever losing the waiting game!

I don’t understand the point you’re triyng to make. These are irrelevant in regards to p2w. The people who are money-poor and time-rich only get to “enjoy” plexing their accounts because otherwise RMTers would cost CCP more money than they do. Nothing CCP does is out of the good of their hearts. The economy strangles their options. The added benefit of plexers also being content is nothing more than that. An added benefit.

The extra step is meaningless. It’s just in your head. Ignoring cosmetics, people always pay for better stats, just like in this game. Just like in every game paying money does not guarantee you a victory, but it increases the odds. That’s the sole reason why people pay in the first place.

Money allows for compensation of inferiority complexes.

2 Likes

As a former World of Warships player and tester for them I can assure you they nerf premium ships all the time. Those are called “blanket changes” similar to the 20% resistance module nerf we just received in eve.

Also their fan base is just as loyal as any other games. People come and go in waves just like every other game. The CV changes last year lost them a lot of players but also gained them a lot of players. The constant massive changes to the game drive people off in droves but also usually gain them plenty back for a while. There is a reason I called myself a former WOWs player afterall.

Alpha/Omega clones were not a good idea for this game, BUT the way they have been implemented make sense to me. The core foundation of Eve is the skill system. Gating players behind that seems the most logical course of action for a F2P model.

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.