One Way to Balance High-Security Space šŸ—”

Its the total lack of meaningful consequences. The timers for crime and punishment need to be longer, hours, not minutes. Removing security tokens to restore security status would make its loss have relevance. The career criminals like Aaaaaargh would be forced to fly a pod in high security space on their way out to low/null on a regular basis to get security status back, the perfect location for proactive anti-gank operators to make that task as difficult and inconvenient as possible.

1 Like

Do you even know the reason security tags were introduced? and the statement -10 will set you free also exists.

1 Like

Nah. Thatā€™s kind of like saying ā€œResource wars can never work because it didnā€™t work beforeā€.

Just because CCP boned it up before doesnā€™t make it impossible.

Itā€™s not even necessary to come up with 100% perfect ā€œcanā€™t be exploitedā€ mechanisms. EVE is already full of them. All thatā€™s needed is to come up with systems that generate more good content than bad and arenā€™t amazingly broken.

ISK faucets, bounty farming, Pochven farms, gankingā€¦ all exploitable, and all these have been pointed at as ā€œwhatā€™s wrong with EVEā€. But games can tolerate a ton of that stuff. The real thing thatā€™s killing EVE is simply the fact that the gameā€™s been running with pretty much the exact same set of boring, repetitive grinds for over a decade now.

Itā€™s time to shake things up a little.

But in a good way. Like, not the CCP way.

3 Likes

Ultimately, you can never balance stupid or lazy.

So no matter what changes are implemented to ā€œbalance highsecā€, the whines will continue because there will always be someone who does something more stupid or more lazily than the game expects. Conversely, there will always be someone smarter and more creative than the devs account for.

Let the weak be eaten.

3 Likes

Well, in the first place it would be a bit remiss not to notice the player count in Local suddenly go up by 20. A big clue !

Equally, any serious miner would be in a corp that provided intel. Theyā€™d know gankers were coming from half a dozen systems away.

Butā€¦people are lazy and just ignore these things.

1 Like

That would require you to be at the keyboard and not alt-tabbed out watching Netflixā€¦

2 Likes

Well, yesā€¦I mean the gank I did yesterday the Retriever just sat there. It wasnā€™t even in the process of aligning. Didnā€™t even notice the scout right next to it. When I mine I have the Overview set to my escape station and the cursor hovering over the warp iconā€¦and would click on it instantly if any gankers showed up. Plus I always make sure that Iā€™m as far from entry gates as possible, which gives more time.

2 Likes

Hot take:safety green for hi sec.

The other most hardcore full loot pvp mmo out there, Albion Online, has blue zones you canā€™t attack other players in without a duel invite. In those areas, you canā€™t even die/get looted period. Flagging for pvp, the equivalent of setting your safety red, has a zone wide indicator and has a long ass cast time. Eve could probably take it down one notch and still be the most brutal mmo live.

1 Like

How much money/loot/progress can you get in those areas?

2 Likes

2022-09-24 21_54_30-EVE - Arya Yeshe

Idk man, you seem to enjoy those things and even farm them.

Apparently the NPCs are kinda running the kill rights since itā€™s them who do all the damage.

So if the -10 people had bounties on them, just add one smartbomb to a catalyst and bomb everybody and farm the ISK.

Also no reasonable person would be chasing catalysts that are about to die anyway if the pilots are -10 or they die to faction police or CONCORDā€¦ that would be like chasing a soap bubble.

1 Like

Iā€™m all for new players having a few systems where they canā€™t be ganked or attacked. Those systems should also have absolutely no resources or ways to make or export ISK.

If EVE had ā€œsafe spacesā€, every Alpha and their dog would use it to farm infinite resources and ISK in perfect safetyā€¦

@Melicien_Tetro I just reinstalled Ultima Online!
I used to run patrols at night to kill all afk miners in Ultima and make more weapons to kill them.

@Destiny_Corrupted look at this, the Ultima Online Ouland rules:

Itā€™s player killing time!

edit: yes, my post is completely about the topic because this is about how the community and the developers see how the gameplay should offered to the community

4 Likes

You learn the fundamentals and thereā€™s some essential low tier crafting that ends up being valuable. You can easily get enough money and experience to go into the higher risk zones, which people do pretty quickly.

in a perfect world were the system works and no one abuse it
you can give them 10x the cost of the ship in bounties and they still will not fight

And does high-sec, where you can run level 4 missions, launch into tier 6 abyssals, do fleet incursions, transport vast amounts of goods and resources for market trading, and engage in many other activities that can make you nine figures per hour, sound like a place where you ā€œlearn the fundamentalsā€ and perform ā€œlow tier craftingā€?

2 Likes

This. If high sec in EVE was declared a ā€œsafe spaceā€, 90% of the player base would never leave itā€¦

Honestly? Yes. Itā€™s really only the surface of the gameplay.

Okay, thanks for clearing that up for us.

I already suggested similiar idea with almost 0 possibility of abuse: Hopefully a fresh idea to make player bounties viable again

1 Like

If someone wants an area where they can undock and look at their blingy ship in space instead of in station, wants to shoot off some fireworks, wants to chat socially in chat channels or third-party platforms, wants to update their regional market orders, or just wants to listen to EVE in the background while doing other things, etc., then Iā€™m all for it.

As soon as they want to do something productive that can earn them ISK/modules/ore/LP though, then they need to be in the sandbox proper, competing on a level playing field with others doing the same thing.

So as long as there are absolutely no rewards to be earned in space for their complete safety while undocked, itā€™s a good suggestion.

5 Likes