"Only fly what you can afford"

Maybe you dont fully understand what is meant by “only fly what you can afford”.

It is like in real life when you see people take out 500k home loans and are making 30k a year. Then wonder why they are bankrupt a few years later with everything being foreclosed or repossessed.

If you are only making 100mil a week, dont go fly a titan. Because you cant afford to replace it.

I make about 100mil a week and I rarely fly anything bigger than a 50-60mil battleship or battle cruiser.

I dont know how many times in EVE or in other games I see people save up to get something that is going to cost them EVERYTHING to get, then when they lose it they are broke with no hope of recovery.

Which market do you shop at? If I could shop there, I could afford to lose many more battleships!

You can afford to lose something that takes more than a few days to get back, especially if you have some assets. Unless you lose ships more than once a week, but for typical PvE operations, that should not be the case.

I think I left a 1 off the front of that… LOL
My battleship is closer to 150mil.

1 Like

According to Zkill you’ve lost a total of 2 Skiffs, both in lowsec. The only things you’ve lost in hisec are an MTU and a Mackinaw, neither of which was to CODE.

Until you can prove otherwise your little tale of woe is a complete fabrication.

On topic, don’t fly anything that you’re not comfortable with losing; ships are like helicopters, they’re likely to explode at any time and your job as a pilot is to use every means available to prevent it from doing so

2 Likes

If you are flying a Skiff you can’t really call yourself a beginner anymore.

I agree with most of what you’ve said, but there are two things that just don’t sit right.

This is a massively multiplayer game. If someone else takes the time and effort to blow up your ship, that is partially their “fault”. We could argue over what it means to be “at fault”, but it is definitely the choices and actions of another that caused your ship to be destroyed. Just as the miner cannot simply blame others for their ship loss, neither can the ganker simply blame the miner. That knife just cuts both ways.

We can also argue about what CCP SHOULD and SHOULD NOT do with the game (and I don’t really believe it is exclusively, absolutely their game at this point). But you have crossed over into speaking for them . . . and also predicting the future. And when it comes to other sentient lifeforms and future events, we just can’t really know.

1 Like

I agree, if everybody followed that old moldy meme, there wouldn’t be very many players flying around in space.

Personally I prefer this one “Fly smart and stay safe”.

3 Likes

I don’t understand your post.

This has been the “motto” for over a decade and the only reason, why it’s still around, is because it worked itself through the time as good advise.

So i don’t understand the conclusion you make…

1 Like

Heh, what’s so hard to understand?

If players adhered to that ‘motto’, then there would be even less players flying in space. Hell, new players wouldn’t even undock from stations if they followed that advice since most don’t have the ISK to replace their ship and modules in the first place…

That “moto” is usually posted in the forums and chat as a cynical retort to those who complain about losing a ship, especially if the loss is PvP related.

There are a lot of mottos in game.
“Trust in the rust.” comes to mind.

But if you fly smart and stay safe, you are not going to take any risks, no risks, no rewards.

It is all a matter of perspective.

If you feel you can replace what you are flying or dont care, then fly what you want. But if you are conservative and dont want to risk your 200mil isk barge, then by all means leave it in station.

Yeah but anyone can dock in a station with no assets, get a rookie corvet, repackage it yo het 2 guns, head out to a belt and start over. It’s a slow grind but doable.

As for the meaning of the motto, it really os just the eve way of saying don’t out all your eggs on one basket. What this means can very by person.

For example, if you are a newbie mission runner, don’t sell your last cruise and every one to get that new battlecruiser. If you lose the BC, you are in trouble. Instead, be patient, run more missions and buy the BC when you can afford it without selling everything.

For the guy who just joined faction warfare or RvB, don’t keep flying battleships if you can only afford a few. Buy a ton of frigs and have more fun.

To the miner, tank your ship properly and have a fallback in case. To the hauler, split your load so you don’t lose it all in one gank.

To the ratting carrier, be on comms, watch local, and be ready to run if needed. To combat carrier, fly ship doctrine and obey ship replacement rules of your corp.

It just really means have a fallback in case you end up losing all your current setup.

2 Likes

Nope. If you were around for as long as you would have heard them say it. I’m not speaking for the devs, they have been pretty clear on the subject. 2005. I’ve read a lot of forum posts, watched a lot of videos, read a lot of dev blogs, etc. Their answer to players who complain too much - the official answer was HTFU. Harden the f…ck up. They’re from Iceland, remember.

Which is pretty much the same as ‘Fly smart and stay safe’.

When I started playing this game over 9 years ago, there wasn’t any Career Agents available to give new players a bunch of assets and ISK. Players were given a Corvette ship and told to destroy a single NPC and then mine a single Asteroid in a small training site, that was it. After that new players were on their own.

I remember spending hours and hours in high sec Asteroid Belts killing NPC Rats in my Corvette (rookie) ship just so I could get enough ISK to buy a Frigate and start doing level 1 missions. I thought the Breacher would be a good choice since it was a kiting missile ship. However it also had a paper tank and I quickly lost that ship. I then went back to hunting Rats in Asteroid Belts with my rookie ship for more ISK to buy another Frigate. After checking each Frigates description, I bought the Probe Frigate since the description stated it was difficult to destroy. Naturally it wasn’t a good combat ship and I also soon lost that Frigate as well.

After mentioning in Corp chat that I had to go back using the rookie ship to kill Asteroid Rats again, nobody stated ‘Don’t fly what you can’t afford to replace’ or any other crap like that.

Members in Corp chat simply asked why and after relating the previous events that I posted here, a couple of older Vet players graciously provided some help. One player donated 1 million ISK to my wallet (was a lot of ISK back then) and another player contracted to me a Rifter Frigate with basic T1 modules fit for shield buffer tank.

After that I had no problem surviving. However there was a lot of skills needing to be bought as well as upgrading modules on my ship and if I had followed that moto, ‘Don’t fly what you can’t afford’, it would have been a long time before I actually used that Rifter due to trying to gather enough ISK to quickly replace it.

1 Like

Here’s one key thing about this… We are all vicious evil people, after all, we play eve. Yet… You will find we are also some of the nicest souls. When you are in the worst spot in EVE, ask for help. It will come.

“Don’t fly what you can’t afford to loose” is a general guideline. Not some hard rule. Being able to replace a ship (preferably multiple times) is a good standard practice, particularly for newbros who might not know how to stay safe as well as veterans do. But the more experienced you get, the more it turns into “don’t fly anything you aren’t willing to loose”

For example, my incursion ship costs far more than I could easily replace, at least without doing some serious liquidating. But I still fly it, because of the benefits I get from it. And if I loose it somehow, well it’s not the end of the world, I can still reship it just might be a cheaper variant.

1 Like

[citation needed]

And if you do happen to look up an appropriate source for what you have claimed, I hope you consider the following idea before going ahead and posting it in reply: “We do not see things as they are; we see them as we are.”

1 Like

A velator self-replaces, you can afford to lose it.

The motto is also perfectly fine, and particularly applies to traders who risk taking enormous steps backwards if they fly with their entire stake in their holds, which is a danger for people just starting out on that path.

(edit fixed grammar).

1 Like

The cashflow for capsuleers mission line existed 10 years ago, and the game directed to you to it, that was always sufficient to put people in real ships.

Do note who posted that vid to Youtube… CCP Games. Do note who is in those videos - CCP devs. Welcome to EVE. Hello Kitty Online is that way ---------->

Well, I missed the 3 original career advancement agents when I first started playing this game during Empyrean Age. The rookie tutorial spawned you directly in space in a protected dungeon with Aura AI instructing you to mine an Asteroid and then destroy a single attacking NPC.

After completion Aura AI then sent you to a Tutorial Agent (no longer active) that gave a 2-part mission series called ‘The Endless Battle’. After completing it that agent mentions there’s a fellow colleague looking for a pilot and the location is bookmarked in ‘People & Places’. (I had to look up the ending dialog for that mission series and in the process also found out the bookmarked agent was one of the 3 original career agents)

Being new to the game at that time I had no idea what ‘People & Places’ was or how to even access it. I learned that info much later after asking questions in Corp chat. Eventually I completed those 3 agents after the fact. Currently the NPE is a lot more direct and much easier to understand now as well as providing players with a lot more ISK and equipment than it did a decade ago.

Regardless of my mistake about the 3 original career agents, my initial statement still stands -

The moto “Don’t fly what you can’t afford to loose” is usually posted in the forums and chat channels as a cynical retort to those who complain about losing a ship, especially if the loss is PvP related.

3 Likes