Open letter to the forum's technical support team

Except the bug was in the keyboard-chair interface all along.
The use case for “quote” is to specify which part of the message your reply to. NOT to reply to everything, which is a … “reply” use case.
When you try to “quote everything”, then the system decides you used the wrong button and corrects your foolish action (hence the edit).

However, I agree that such an automated actions should be properly notified and explained to the end user.

It is explained the first time someone uses the forum through Discobot ‘tutorial’.

If you are replying to the post directly above your own, it does not put the link to the post you’re replying to in your own post because it is assumed to be the one above you by default. If you choose one farther back it should show a link to the post you’re replying to so people can follow it back easily and see what that context was.

2 Likes

TEST.

@Qia_Kare Thank you for explaining that :saluting_face:

This is not what I’m talking about.
What I’m saying, is that “intelligent” tools that adapt the content should explain what they modified.
Not once when you do a tutorial ; but every time there is an adaptation.
This is basic UEx : any difference between the user input and its perception of the result must be clear, both in the result and the reason. If you need a degree to understand what actually happened, then there is an issue in your system’s UI design.
None should accept that when he posts “a”, then “b” appears, without a proper explanation of what actually happens. Even if it’s obvious for most people, obviousness is not logic.

A solution could be to add an icon on the post that shows it’s been adapted, and when clicked on, it lists the rules that have been applied and a link to the explanation. When you post a message and it’s adapted, you should have “adapted and posted” as a warning.

TEST²

Okay so you need to first select what you want to quote, then to hit the reply button to specify which post your reply to.

Then you can

quote other posts without changing the reply target

edit : nope does not work.

If I follow what it is you’re trying to do…

First hit reply under whatever post you want to reply to.

Then quote whatever text you want by scrolling up, selecting it, and hit quote.

Repeat the second step as many times as necessary.

[TEST] trying with only quote then hit reply.

I agree. More needs to be done on the user end. But, I mean, it’s just a forum to me. The discussions are more important than how the system handles member inputs. But that’s just me. I don’t bother stressing about anything, doctor’s orders.

[TEST] trying with “reply” then quote in the editor

[TEST] trying again with quote&reply

result : it does not show which post I am replying to.

[test] using only reply

This is me hitting reply under one of your posts not directly above my own and then quoting you by selecting some text once the editor pops up.

edit: Hmm. I guess it doesn’t always work for some reason, but this is the first time it hasn’t for me. However at this moment I’ll guess it’s because you are the user I’m replying to and the user in the post directly above this one.

And in that reply, there is no mention to the post you are replying to.

What we want is a reliable way to quote a specific part of the message and still mention that this post is a reply to it.

Let’s see if a different person gets me a different result.

edit: Nope. That’s strange. Maybe instead of directly above there is a range limit, either in scrolled text or post number. I’ve never had it not work but then I’ve also been replying to posts considerably in the past, both post count wise and time span wise.

I tried it in my previous posts.

The moment you include a quote, then your post is no more a reply to the one you quote.

Moved to Forum Feedback & Requests - EVE Online Forums

1 Like