Overheating

I’m hearing a lot of rumours about how overheating works but no confirmation. The statistics are a little confusing Heat Damage and Structure Hit points seem to be the relevant ones but what this means in real term I have no idea. Some say do not have an empty slot as even an offline module will disperse heat damage, is that an old wives tale ? Some say T2 modules resist heat damage better than T1 others say the opposite what is the sinister truth to it all ?

Whomever said that is an idiot. Tech 2 modules are very allergic to overheating and burn out quicker than t1 modules.
Green faction modules last a tad linger, blue modules can be overheated almost until the last red blip and purple modules for around 5 minutes.

The list goes as follows from short to long:

tech 2 < tech 1 / meta < faction (dark green) < c-type (blue) < b-type < a-type < x-type < purple.

You can overheat t2 guns on frigates longer than on a cruiser since you have less guns on a frigate and while empty slots or offlines t1 mods may reduce some small amount of heat damage, it doesn’t matter very much.
Shield booster produce twice the amount of heat damage if you have a shield boost amplifier on.
I would recommend putting armor reps always on the outer edges of the low slots to have them as far from each other as possible, which buys you some time and maybe one or two more heat cycles.

Always keep an eye on the circle that is indicating heat damage. Tech 2 modules can and will offline other modules if you let the heat on for too long.
In my experience, you have to turn of heat at the 75% mark counter-clock wise.

1 Like

Funny thing, I have a vaga fit with mwd , cap battery, hardener , and shield booster, in that order, in the mid.
Sometimes, when I OL the mwd, the cap battery and hardener don’t take a heat, but the shield booster (which is cold) get damaged. So I’m wondering, maybe the mid slots are circular wrt. heat dissipation.

Also, sometimes the cap battery gets burnt without another module taking heat. Once to the point it was killed, leading in me wondering why I can’t hold the cap strain .

From what I know is that heat distribution around the rack is RNG based. I had a fight once on an Eagle and the heat from my mwd did offline my cap booster - :frowning:

Hi,
I am a noob to the game but have found that my overheating experience is consistent with the information found here.
The most important thing I have noticed is decreasing the cycle time on a module ( armor repper via rigs ) and RLML ( Rapid Light Missile Launcher ) significantly promotes heat damage and therefore the resultant spread across a rack. My 2 groups of 2 RLML seperated by a drone link augmentor ( 1 or 2 ) last the same when overheated.

It’s worth noting that it’s much easier to test these sorts of things, than it used to be. With citadels giving free module reps via tethering, you can do a lot of overheat testing even on TQ and just catch free reps almost anywhere. No nanite paste required.

I sometimes gratuitously overheat my resist modules when undocking in Jita, then I just cozy up to a citadel a couple jumps later for module reps.

Ivr never noticed any set pattern to heat damage taken on my mods. The damage just appeared where it wanted. RNG on the damage.makes sense now.

Do you mean a destroyer ? Cruiser size weapons have slower cycle time if I remember correctly apart from RLML.

Frigate != Destroyer

well that has failed to do anything other than add more rumours to the pile. T2 burn out quicker than T1 whoever said they don’t is stupid because my guess is better than theirs.

Hi Hi,
based on all my testing using the information found here and here using RLML the T2 always burnt out before the T1. Bigger alpha and longer cycle time seems the way forward when overheating weapon systems.
I also tested a T1 1MN Aferburner against a T2 1MN Aferburner. They have the the same cycle time and heat damage applied. Based on observation the results were never consistent ( small sample ). Either one could burn out before the other over differing times. I concluded that this was the random chance of the spread of heat damage being applied as noted in the referenced posts.

Fly safe

one of the few things EFT has over pyfa is it has heat prediction this tool is a great way to get a better understanding of how heat works

Interesting video on overheating:

Use the Compare window to look at heat damage stats on different modules. I haven’t done a focused comparison for a large number of different module types, but room what I’ve seen the heat damage taken by t2 modules is not higher than meta or faction modules like it used to be. Follow the guide @Miatsu_Tzash linked, it is very informative. It helps you organize your modules in ways that reduce the amount of heat buildup in your racks.

A good rule of thumb is to space out the modules you’re most likely to overheat. The reason is that an overheate module is more likely to cause damage to a closer module than one farther away. If you put a lot of damage on your EM hardener by OHing the Adaptive next to it, you can’t overheat the Adaptive hardener as much before it burns out.

OK from what I can see on those articles, all modules have 40 HP so that statistic is fairly simple, the only attribute of relevance is heat damage which according to those articles is a level of heat damage that might occur in full or in part per cycle maybe. It also mentions: Each module has a Heat Emission rate which will define the likelihood that heat damage will spread from module to another module within the rack. Although this is also an unknown amount and whether the emission rate and heat damage attribute of the adjacent module are both relevant to what damage it will take.

not true just most. you will find some with 99,999

Clone Vat Bays and Jump Portal Generators which I highly doubt I will be overheating anytime soon.

unless you are using a black ops… where you are heating your guns and letting the JPG soak up the heat.

that’s why i said it is mostly true. but there were exceptions to it.

Hi,
thank you for this golden nugget of information.I never realised that they repped your modules as well as free repair.

1 Like

they also rep burnt out mods but rather than sitting there waiting for them to slowly rep with tether dock and rep for free instantly