Peace in our time

I’d really rather we didn’t. I just don’t think it’s likely to end as long as people greatly misinterpret one another’s actions and reasons.

I mean, the really perverse thing about this is that we’re not the only ones. We’re not. The Amarr are just as twisted by all of this as we are. Some of it’s subtle, some of it’s less subtle. I mean, sure, there’s the whole psychological blow of the Rebellion, and Val’Akioth and stuff, but that’s not the real damage. I mean… think about it.

For thousands of years, they had this self-image of invincibility, of divine superiority. How’s that gonna twist them? How is lifetime after lifetime of looking down on everyone going to horribly skew their ability to even empathize with non-Amarr? After all, running the Empire the way it’s run… in some ways, it requires a lack of genuine empathy. It’s really little wonder they don’t recognize trauma, after so many generations of training themselves not to see it, of convincing themselves ‘that’s a sign of progress and healthy change’.

And that expectation of superiority… it creates personal expectations, too. How screwed up will people be when they’re told, generation after generation, that God says they’re perfect, so they better not be anything less than that?

It leads to people who can’t dare admit to errors. In some ways, the Rebellion was probably the healthiest thing that’s ever happened to the Empire. And that’s pretty screwed up on its own, ain’t it?