Player Owned Assets

True that, I’d be happy to really own that Veld haha :wink:

As for the info, it was a event CCP held for investors I believe, not fully sure exactly was all was about as I was only asked if I was ok with me being used as an example in their presentation. My assumption is that it didn’t take off or generate interest since nothing happened since then. I saw the presentation and it was basically talking exactly about “what if a player could truly own their assets” and the “assuming Chribba owned his ship and people could buy it knowing it was his” etc.

2 Likes

Thanks. I’ve looked but haven’t found anything yet.

It would have to put more money in their pockets than the current model for CCP to give up that control.

Do you really want to pay taxes for your Veldnaught? I bet it’s quite valuable

What if someone ganks it? Can you now sue them because they destroyed your property?

We should not forget that this is supposed to be a game. And if you suddenly make this game objects RL valuables that are owned and can be traded on third-party markets it completely changes the dynamic of all of it. In my opinion it will seize to be the game we know.

4 Likes

I actually had Dr. Who mixed up with Dr. Strange. I don’t watch BBC or read comic books.

1 Like

This is about evolution; People, species, businesses evolve. To evolve is to survive. The opposite, extinction. Its not about right or wrong, its survival.

CCP, hear me.

-Emp-

This is a rare moment when I don’t complain, so cheers. How much would it cost to get some star trek up in here?

FWIW I still disagree. Distributed ledgers is just a technological implementation. “Player Owned Assets” is a movement pushing to reform laws around Intellectual Property, without the requisite knowedge, without the vocabulary, without the understanding, and therefore without the actual effort to do actually do so.

On the latter, I’m saving my fingers and not re-hashing it. You can find my thoughts in this post in Shipwreck Jones’ thread.

You should seriously watch the video Jones shared. Particularly the part about people (in the phillippines?) today “living the dream” with bosses texting people and shouting at them to get more Love Potions per hour or w/e, without providing vacation days, retirement benefits, and other things that paid paid labor typically get as part of an employment agreement. Think to yourself: “can I spend 16+ hours a day grinding ISK every day or will I be outclassed and priced out of the game by bot/cheap-labor farms from SE asia?” Future sure sounds bright (not).

Also, first name is *io (Common mistake, capital i and lowercase L look similar).

3 Likes

Ah…there is a very good reason why.

In a place like Eve, everyone paying Omega is basically paying the same ‘rent’ to access items and functions. That is a fee per month and is for access…not ownership. If you suddenly started turning that into ownership you’d have the grossly unfair situation where someone with 3 trillion ISK worth of stuff was claiming ownership of stuff paid for via the past rent payments of everyone else. After all…that is what paid for all that stuff to exist in the first place.

So you’d basically be grabbing stuff who’s existence you had not initially actually paid for. You might now ‘own’ the stuff, but it wasn’t you who paid the umpteen months of Omega that brought it into existence.

1 Like

You know what else evolves?

Bacteria, viruses, and parasites. But that doesn’t mean that their evolution is good for me. And when it comes to games and monetization, there is more than one way to evolve, and not every way is good for the players. For example:

• Loot boxes are an evolution in monetization that use dark pattern designs in order to get players to spend more money to get the items that they want.
  • Persistent online connection required for single player games that do not benefit from them is an evolution in DRM, that screws people who have crappy or intermittent internet connections (i.e. service members, truck drivers), and that screws everyone once the game servers shut down.
  • Games as a service is an evolution in monetization that incentivizes devs to artificially slow progression and introduce dark pattern designs (such as FOMO) in order to encourage players to keep playing every day.
  • And then there’s P2E, which, depending on implementation, can have various negative impacts that range from sucking the fun out of the game, to encouraging botting, to being anti-consumer, to being a straight up ■■■■■■■ scam.

But, if I had to wager a guess, you’re one of those crypto-is-the-future guys, who would hand wave all those concerns away.

2 Likes

The day CCP adds a EULA compliant way to turn your assets into cash is the day I cash out of Eve permanently.

4 Likes

yep, id biomass everything

:face_vomiting: :face_vomiting: :face_vomiting: :face_vomiting: :face_vomiting:

I’d sell everything first, during the initial rush when prices would be high due to the masses rushing in to make their “retirement” from the game. I’d keep my characters though, but extract most of the SP. Then slowly work my way up again.

Don’t need a lot of SP to murder the ■■■■ out of the people who’d only be playing this game to make an RMT buck (assuming CCP would still allow PVP in an RMT version of EVE, since I imagine there would be a tsunami of complaints and legal threats).

I support adding NFT mining permits to EvE Online.

It would truly give eve more value and when it comes to those whiners ccp should just have them sign a waiver online or something. People literally do sign death waivers and release from liability waivers all the time for things like MMA fighting. They literally agree by contract that they and they alone are responsible for any and all risks involved including injuries and even death. Just restrict to to omega accounts and have players sign off to a waiver which prohibits them from suing due to any changes they make or losses in game. I bet even carebears would begin ganking more often when they realize that ganking that bowhead will net them 2 digits worth of cash. I can see elite pvpers actually breaking three digits easy but the guy who runs multiple accounts selling right now would probably lose his 4k a month due to competition. Though, the number of buyers would increase as well so I don’t understand why they have that fear. They’d just have to adapt. The average person wouldn’t have a problem with it either because they got their wealth from playing the game in the first place. They understand that the game has multiple avenues to grow from a corvette that doesn’t require sliding a cc. If the only investment people had to make was being an omega account people would consider that fair considering they’d be able to generate more wealth than the subscription itself is worth. Plex sales prove this.

1 Like

Really they don’t.

For every player that plays to Plex their account there has to be a player who swiped the credit card to buy the Plex. Meaning that it’s impossible for every player to Plex their accounts. First off if that were possible then it would be a serious flaw in CCPs monetization strategy and they would be bankrupt. But setting that aside for a moment we can simply look at supply and demand. There can simply never be enough Plex for everyone to Plex from in game money forever. It would be consumed prices would sky rocket and then there would be no more available - unless someone swiped their card to introduce more and take advantage. But then they are no longer “generating more wealth than the subscription is worth”.

What Plex sales prove is that some people value time more than others. Unless your making an extreme amount of isk compared to the average, then it is better time value wise to work even a minimum wage job and buy Plex or pay the sub then it will be to grind isk for Plex.

Counteracting the raw time value, another factor is the “pay to not play” or “cheating” feel of Plex. So many players would optimize at a medium by paying for a sub (rather than wasting time Plex grinding for the sub) but not buying Plex to get ahead in the game (thus maintaining the spirit of gameplay and interesting difficulty).

Nft and pte are not going to be good improvements to this game or any other game. It’s a strategy to turn gaming into a job where the “players” are using their game time to work for the developer while duping them into thinking they are “investing” instead of gambling.

1 Like

TLDR : CCP believes EVE Online ultimately needs to be P2E (Play to Earn) in the future. Hilmar says NFT and blockchains allow players to truly own values, so that players can feed their families and fill their retirement funds while playing the game. CCP wants to unify the value in the real life and what is available in the online game. And that’s the landscape EVE Online has been looking for, and will reach for, Hilmar says.

NFT and RMT is a key to make EVE last forever, Hilmar says in the interview. : Eve (reddit.com)

Viva la revolution :sweat_smile:

-Emp-

I have devised the perfect solution for people who want to own expensive NFTs:

1 blockchain code can be freely downloaded
2 set up your own blockchain nodes on your own computers
3 link to ALL the JPEGs that you like from the web
4 disallow node connections to other (=untrustworthy!) nodes
5 mint the NFTs for these JPEGs yourself and simply sell them to yourself
6 doesn’t matter if the JPEGs were already minted by someone else before you: multiple, different blockchains may freely point to the same thing; this is actually allowed and highly encouraged
7 the blockchain will confirm YOU are the owner, each and every time and everyone knows that “code is law”.

ADVANTAGES of this superior method over older NFT investment methods:
1 you DOUBLE your money/crypto, as you get your investment right back and get to keep the NFT that is now worth the same amount. (Remember: value equals price!)
2 your blockchain is 100% Secure against 51%-attacks from the outside
3 you not only save your wallet but ALSO the Environment (you Hero!), because you can now drastically simplify all those slow, intensive encryption algorithms
4 should EVE ever shut down, you can still write positions on all your valuable assets to your blockchain, even AFTER the fact. The blockchain will reliably confirm you still own all your space ships and stuff. It’s NOT your fault that the game company is no longer even capable of displaying your assets.
:wink:

[Addendum] WARNING: should you manage to convince someone to buy your NFT(s) from you, your Superior NFT may revert to just a regular NFT. This is not advised. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

While you actually think you are playing a mini game it’s converted into real life secretarial work. Do all my market orders through EVE thank you very much.

Your obvious statement about people swiping CCs for plex to trade with players is already well known but your assessment of it isn’t true because it’s already a legitimatize form of player trading and there is always plex on the market as it is. However, plex proves that player trades would be a successful endeavor and since it could potentially include every in game item, there will always be demand for something that can be generated through time playing the game.

There will always be demand so long as people have an income stream from their work/investments. Also, people that player trade tend to hold down jobs. They just want more money because they understand their time is more valuable than catering to an internet stranger’s feelings.

People trading with other players is natural and fair. There is no cheating involved it’s just others envious that they don’t have a well enough job to do it themselves because they lack the expendable income. This whole meme about the spirit of the game being maintained without plex or player trades is non-sense because I know many people in real life who have played many mmorpgs, some of them played eve even, and they never once threatened or complained about it. Some even partook in them. That’s just a meme to keep regular folk down from actually seeing something productive form from their game time. It’s meant to keep the farmers trading on the illicit markets where sellers who don’t actually value their accounts simply keep getting all the orders because their competition is non-existent since most sellers find a ban eventually and most players that do want to sell usually do care about their accounts and don’t want to risk all their time and emotional investment into their accounts for $20. There are buyers purchasing in game items every day in eve online in these illicit markets and the sellers are making a killing while people like you keep trying to convince others that them making a little income on the side from their hobby is a bad thing. Fear mongering arguments about market prices and the value of things comes from those illicit sellers right now because their $4,000 a month they make might drop when there’s more competition but they’re idiots who fail to realize that there would always also be more buyers by consequence of it being legitimate. For when a buyer does partake in the illicit markets as it is now often times it’s a one time deal or they wait a long time before doing it again in an attempt to avoid bans and they usually get away with it too. Sellers tend to find their accounts getting banned with due time but before that usually happens in any game, they already made hundreds to thousands of dollars. Creating new accounts after their bans is seen as a business expense and hardly phases their operations and it shows because even when sweeping bans happen, those sell orders on those websites are still there and clearly not all the accounts involved were caught. However, if a buyer uses these illicit markets for a one time deal and their account is implicated when the seller is caught since sellers put themselves “out there” all the time while fearful buyers only do it once in a while, they may not resub since what they were truly attached to was the account that just got banned.

What the gaming market is doing with block chains and NFT is nonsense. What RMT websites have been doing for over 2 decades is the right way to do it and game companies can ensure that the transaction for both parties is more secure than those websites can offer making it impossible to scam and this shows every time you use your CC for something on Amazon. They’re a third party facilitating trade for real world goods while RMT websites do it for digital assets and like Amazon, RMT websites take their small cut while both buyer and seller prosper. Also, returning to your job statement about people who play games like a job should go get one is an invalid argument because you can’t pay for electricity, the roof over your head, internet, and computer without one.

You tell this to me, a legitimate player when the illicit sellers have been there since 2003. Yes, keep trying to convince the world it’s a bad idea on their behalf because they’re clearly making bank enough that they don’t need to work while you tell people who do work that they shouldn’t be allowed to make any return on their hobby. It’s fantastical honestly because when people regurgitate those memes they neglect the fact that even being on the internet demands hundreds if not thousands of dollars income from their housing, electricity, internet, hardware, and sub. They already work but haters, yes people who actually hate them, don’t want them to prosper because they’re prospering off of the illicit markets.

1 Like