Player Retention - Discord Server for Eve Online

Nothing is keeping groups of players to use their fav voice chat platform and do the same . Not to mention that any serious corp has a voice platform that’s active.

1 Like

Problem is a lot of things can’t be explained in a simple sentence. And when you try to private chat someone they ignore it or reject it.

1 Like

If only CCP could come up with some hardwiring implant in their merchandise store to inject new players with a knowledge database , something like out of the movie Matrix.
You will then know kung-fu Eve Online.

That is true. But like Astelon said there are too many questions about this game for new players and this generation gamers don’t want to spend few days googling all their questions. Voice chat makes it faster and easier and send them in the right direction.

I agree that happend to me a few time in the last two days.

Then they will not be that much of an asset in a group of Eve players anyway , so we are better off without them :slight_smile:

1 Like

As a new player to get to the recruitment and voice comms stage takes a long time. Forget all your knowledge about the game. login as a fresh account and try to get to this stage and tell me how long it took you. I have done that it is not as simple as you say.

If you are genuinely a new player, CCP does have real agents that reach out to you in game to answer questions and help you with the game.

2 Likes

The new players today are way too spoiled to begin with . Don’t you dare to preach me how hard it is for them , when i started this game all i had was 100k SP , an Ibis and an almost unexistent tutorial .
Later on i did very well and that by reading tons of pages daily like a new born absorbs information , from the ex- evelopedia and the known eveuni , while sometimes trying things on singularity .
Also the first null corp that i joined was very helpful , it didn’t took long until i was able to do stuff alone.
If the new player today wants to put in 0 effort , then it can play Roblox or Albion.

1 Like

Pro tip: Use your starter corp chat to ask questions. Since CCP is merging all new and old players outside player corps into a select few starter corps, there are people there that can help you and the starter corp chat is much calmer than Rookie Help.

As for the “too much to read”: And how do you want to keep that knowledge that you gained through some voice chat? Gen Y can’t even remember what they ate for breakfast 10 minutes after they left the table. If someone links you an EVE Uni page or a video, this is the best thing you can get to learn what you want to learn. And you can go back to that page/video all the time to recall things you forgot from a few days or hours ago. A voice chat cannot do that at all.

3 Likes

no wonder y think that. rookie help is hijacked by trolls many time now.

1 Like

The problem lies with the logistics of such a suggestion.

Concurrent conversations in text work (not excellently but they work) In Voice far less so as the noise overlays and we get way more noise than signal across.

In text i can answer questions quickly and all that are lurking can ‘hear’ the answer. In voice it would be struggle to be heard by anyone and if you suggest private side channels then the lurkers will each have to ask the question on their own.

It is a nice idea but without heavy permissions and moderation very difficult to achieve. One might easier suggest a help chat in twitch where the questions are text but the answers voice so only one may speak and less noise.

m

4 Likes

The other big issue is language, easier to translate languages by text than try to figure out what one is saying in voice coms.

6 Likes

Mike Azariah.
The Eve online Discord is not for Everyone in the Game. Its’s for mainly helping new players. CCP Don’t need new resources they just use the ISD’s and Volunteer’s as Moderators and these guys will have permission’s to ban anyone that is causing trouble or. CCP can pool different parts of the game into 5 to 10 Voice channels and new players can go into the cannel’s they need help in. They can also have Language specific channels where the players who speak same language can help them " have you ever seen a non English speaking rookie player question in rookie chat it hard for non English speaker to text chat.
You been in long enough anything can be achieved if you put your mind to it.

1 Like

They can also have Language specific channels where the players who speak same language can help them " have you ever seen a non English speaking rookie player question in rookie chat it hard for non English speaker to text chat.

I’m still wondering why this needs to be backed by CCP. Why can’t a member of the community in each one of those language channels take initiative and start their own Discord server? Discord is free. And you’d expand your corp potentially.

This is basically being proposed for helping new players not really for existing players and it has to be done by CCP due to the resources it need and to run it properly with moderation.

CCP already has people reaching out to new players in-game though - I don’t see how a Discord server helps.

2 Likes

Its all to do with time and Gen Y players patience. Its will Cut the time it takes to learn with Text chat by more than 70% simply because you can ask questions faster and clarify faster and if the new player finds a Volunteer who speaks the same language as they do it is even faster. Some times it just hard to explain what your question is when you are brand new to the game and if you don’t speak English its even harder.

Quit making excuses for gen y.

3 Likes