Please stop the nonsense about inflation

Would not change a thing. But make people leave because they lost trust in CCP.
Those who do not learn history are doomed to repeat it.

A) What government?
B) What debt?
C) Why would debt equate to an increase in production?
D) Why would an increase in production equate to an increase in consumption?

Here’s what you said: the people who control the money (government) think the borrowing of other people’s money (debt) will make people build more and learn better methods for building and learning and will offer more service to others (increased production) and thus people will want what more of what they build, will want to know more of what humanity has learned, will need or want others to do more for them (consumption increase).

Reexamine your logic, child.

that’s correct.

Except now governments don’t control the money (unless you define government as people who control the money). Occidental governments have accepted the loos of financial sovereignty.

It does not. Learn to read mongoid.

1 Like

Financial models and concepts don’t always fully translate to a game environment.

I might use them for informational purposes, but I’d never let them drive game design as I would financial policy IRL.

Crashing 20 cars a day is a bad idea for the wallet, suicide ganking in 20 thrashers a day on the other hand…

1 Like

7 Posts removed for off topic responses.

1. Specifically restricted conduct.

The purpose of the EVE Online forums is to provide a platform for exchange of ideas, and a venue for the discussion of EVE Online. Occasionally there will be conflicts that arise when people voice opinions. Forum users are expected to courteous when disagreeing with others.

In order to maintain an environment where everyone is welcome and discussion flows freely, certain types of conduct are prohibited on the EVE Online forums. These are:

Trolling
Flaming
Ranting
Personal Attacks
Harassment
Doxxing
Racism & Discrimination
Hate Speech
Sexism
Spamming
Bumping
Off-Topic Posting
Pyramid Quoting
Rumor Mongering
New Player Bashing
Impersonation
Advertising

2 Likes

You are probably one of this cool guys who have gigantis stacks of plex - and want to make money infinite like rokefeler :grinning:
But it is game, what is good for your economy is bad for normal players who need to “work” more to buy goods you make high in price not only plex buy general. You are smart for sure, but bad economy subordinated to the profit of the “smart” is not very good for the game itself. this deflation you are talking about is very positive - i hope it will progress - because it value more of the player time who make content and generate goods. Bots, and all form of automatization are evil not deflation

2 Likes

Here is a nice simple start for you the both of you to get to terms with your lack of understandig on the subject: Causes of the Great Depression - Wikipedia

2 Likes

But there are no employers in eve and “work” will always be readily availible so economics 101 can be tossed out the window.

1 Like

eve is not a reality. in eve everyone can print money not only central bank - first mistake.
if it is true ccp deleted so many bots it is natural isk will rise in value, because normal isk farmers
are no so cheap as bots - second mistake.

lets try to predict what will happen if you have right and deflation hit us.
some people lost alot of isk - winners will be first sellers of thair stack.
we dont have hard data - how many unused plex are in system, how many bots truly was deleted ect.
but on second hand many people will resub, many people will come and thay print isks and economy find new balance. But if you have let say 10T in plexys and lost 5T - yeh it can hurt a little but “company” will not colapse :). It wil have opposit efect as in reality - geme starts to live when isks rise in value.

2 Likes

From the article you linked:

“The specific economic EVENTS that took place during the Great Depression are well established.”

“economists and historians have not reached a consensus on the causal relationships between various EVENTS and government economic policies in CAUSING or ameliorating the Depression.”

Would you like to elaborate further?

1 Like

The problem with inflation in games and why everyone is so jumpy about it is because they can destroy the currency. There are multiple examples for this in gaming. In Diablo II for example it became so bad that some other items eventually took the place of the currency.

Deflation is probably less common with games, and what does that even mean? We don’t starve and we don’t lose our job or home if the economy crashes. I have no idea if we should even be concerned about this.

If ISK becomes rarer the game mechanics that generate ISK will probably become more popular because of the increased reward. Those activities work no matter the health of the economy. It’s not like the NPC’s are part of the depression and suddenly lower the availability of missions.

3 Likes

No. Deflation is a decrease in all prices not just one and it is usually due to a shrinking of the money supply. And since it is an ongoing thing then people stop consuming for pretty much the same reason they invest. But with investing you get more productive capacity, with hoarding you don’t.

I have no PLEX and even if I did what does that matter? I am not saying crank up the money supply just stop letting in shrink so much.

Thank you, yes. That is one example of where deflation can cause problems.

Then STFU about inflation. :roll_eyes:

This indicates a fundamental error in your understanding. Nobody prints ISK in game. People trade their time for ISK. When you rat for an hour you’ve traded an hour of your time for whatever amount of ISK you got.

People will rat until the (marginal) benefit is equal to the (marginal) cost. So for example, if NPC bounties were halved people would not simply double the time they spent ratting. In fact, they might actually rat less becaus the benefit has decreased.

So right off the bat you are making a serious error.

I don’t think that there were so many bots to cause this large of an effect. The decrease in NPC bounties for NS regions is significant with more than a 72% decrease last month relative to August 2019. That is NPC bounties in NS in August 2018 were at ~57 trillion last month it was ~16 trillion.

So again you are making a significant error here.

The rest of you post is conjecture based on nothing. No data, no historical examples, nothing.

You have flipp-flopped cause and effect here. The reason the ISK supply has shrunk is due in part to the blackout. People are ratting less. Now that’s great for me as I already have a big ol’ pile of ISK and if deflation kicks in the more ISK deflates the more valuable my ISK becomes. Same with everyone that has already made a pile of ISK (e.g. Goons).

No they don’t. Everyone says “adapt to the changes” then they write nonsense like this: nothing changes at all. This is incoherent gibberish.

Rats don’t kill themselves and the ISK appear in your wallet. You have to go shoot them. And ratting income is definitely down post blackout.

Holy crap…

1 Like

I never once complained about it so telling me to STFU because i pointed out how in a video game economics works vastly different then in real life.
Also HTFU if your gonna post on the forums.

And now you can’t complain about it either.

And no, the economics is pretty much the same. People still make decisions based on marginal benefit relative to marginal cost.

In fact, you can stop posting about anything about the in game economy as you have literally just self-refuted anything you are going to write.

3 Likes

No because with alot of RL things demand is required, eg food water power. There really truely is none of that in a game that people can quit at anytime nor do they have to buy constantly, someone takes a year long break they didnt buy anything.

Why are you posting? You have self-refuted your own post.

In any event…

These still follow the idea of marginal benefit vs. marginal cost. Economics works just fine with these as well as with items that are not necessities.

Given that you are going to play the game ships are a necessity. And you might want modules too so you can do the things in game you want. The time you spend doing things in game will depend on the marginal benefits you derive from doing them vs. the marginal costs…

There is nothing here that cannot be looked using the elementary tools of economics. Especially since people in the game are harvesting resources, turning those resources into more valuable items, selling/buying them, etc.

People react to changes in the game just like they would IRL. Make something less valuable, many stop doing it. Make something more valuable people jump in and start doing it.

But don’t worry, your viewpoint is that you can’t talk about it at all in any sort of sensible way because you’ve thrown economics right out the window. You cannot say, “Well, supply and demand…” that’s economics. You can’t talk about “the opportunity cost of mining your own minerals…” that too is economics. You’ve thrown that all away and have no way of discussing any of that in any sort of coherent manner.

Great job.

1 Like

You op was stating that losing isk from the game is bad by reffering to RL applications, many of which do not apply. So basing your opinion on those is very shortsighted and narrow.

Except they work. There are examples of where games have suffered due to runaway inflation in the game…which is linked to the money supply.

Who controls the money supply in EVE?

So your saying there are problems with inflation, but are telling people to STFU about this problem?!?!?!