Plex going up, is something going right?

The long-term trend of any tradeable cash currency (Plex) in a game with effectively unlimited ‘game’ currency (ISK) creation, is generally going to be up. Simple inflation, and predictable, unless something very significant and basic changes regarding the value of real-world cash vs in-game cash.

However, after experiencing a year-long drop in the price of Plex equivalent to roughly 20% of its value, followed by a near-40% jump in price within a 7 month period, with quite significant short-term fluctuations along the way, I believe something more than “minor fluctuations on a gradual increase” is occurring.

If you don’t happen to have been following the Plex market for the past few years, you might find some historical data interesting:

https://www.adam4eve.eu/commodity.php?region=10000002&typeID=44992

1 Like

Too complicated and too long.

As I see it in the game, more people that first bought plex and put it up for sale for all the isk farting rich to buy are quitting, unsubbing, staying alpha or barely logging in, while at same time more krabs are making more Rorqual alts, cap alts with mandatory FAX alts, multiboxing VNI alts, etc. etc. On top of that more bots are creating even bigger bot armies.

And this, is easy to see and experience as you logon and just fly around while staying on comms.

1 Like

Go clean your room

1 Like

Wow, you could hardly be more wrong.

1 Like

What I find interesting, is that increasing price leads to lower sold volume. So high PLEX price hurts CCP real money income. Apparently all those ‘wise’ economists were totally wrong about Eve online plex economy following real life economy rules. Amount of players, who pay RL cash for PLEX is the same, it does not increase. But they need to sell less PLEXes to get same amount of ISK. Supply gets smaller, price raise up and it seems to be self-sustaining process.

Well, he is too incompetent to make a decent living IRL so he cannot afford a subscription, and this incompetence translates into being bad at EVE too, so he cannot easily PLEX his account either. He tries to compensate by whining on the forum about things he doesn’t understand, but all he does is demonstrate the Dunning-Kruger effect in action.

Dare I say the nullseccers whine about rising PLEX prices, because it hurts their RMT income.

2 Likes

For those who don’t know how to read the Adam4EVE charts here is how:

The first graph shows the price over time. The second graph shows the market orders over time. In the second graph can one see how the number of PLEX on the market has dropped and how at the same time the number of buy orders has increased. This shift in demand and offer has triggered the climb in PLEX price.

One can also see that in the time before September the offered PLEX volume was sometimes higher than the demand, and one can see on the price graph how it has lead to a decline in the price previously.

This behaviour is actually normal and is reoccurring. In the years before did we see the same happening. It’s usually around the Christmas time when the PLEX price climbs and latest during summer, when CCP has their summer sales up, do we see a drop in the price. This is how I’ve remembered it for the last three years and I’ve been using it to speculate on the price. So are my accounts all PLEXed until summer, because it’s just not smart to buy PLEX after Christmas and during spring.

3 Likes

The new plateau for plex will stay around 2bil for a while until next spike and so it’ll go up and up year by year if you trying to tell me plex will be 1.5 bil again I don’t believe it

Just if not known to all: A4E also allows to look further into the past. For PLEX as far back as 2008 pricewise. Either via the appropriate form or via the “from” URL parameter.

_Source: https://www.adam4eve.eu/commodity.php?typeID=44992&regionID=10000002&from=2010-02-26_

1 Like

LOL :joy:

4 Likes

and op must be another one of those “people using plex arent paying CCP!11!”

1 Like

Let’s speculate. More players ingame -> buy more PLEX and more PLEXs enters the game so the price is lower. Less players ingame -> buying less PLEXs and the price of PLEXs grows. So if the number of players continues to decline, there will be less PLEXs and the price of PLEXs will increase to 10B.

But all trading empire and corporations will become VOID because there will no one to buy their goods ( plex isks t3 ships capitals … ) -> hyperinflation and broken market…

1 Like

There is also this thing that some may resign from plexing multiple accounts if the price for PLEX is too high for them. So its like double effect on PCU numbers.

1 Like

Awwww, found the butthurt rorq botter

dude, are you elite ? R U a m3TagAm3R ? are you in a big ass rorq mining / ratting alliance yet ? maybe like this Reddit - Dive into anything hmmm, actually, i think these guys are a better fit for you Reddit - Dive into anything you seem to be a perfect match !!!

o have you purchased your Reddit - Dive into anything yet ? its right up your alley, i’m sure you’ll buy many of them

or maybe you are actually this guy right here Reddit - Dive into anything ?

O, and don’t worry about my RL income, I’m an engineer with excellent job and experience so TVM. I know concepts such as paying someone for goods or services that are actually worth the payment or the price is foreign to you. But hey, you’re not the only tool out there, without you a good chunk of all the crap that made this game ■■■■ would not be possible. Gotta give credit where credit is due.

You sir scored a like due to your astute observation.

You know you’re getting old when these ancient memes are new again.

1 Like

Nope. OP went something like this:

Single alpha >> more alphas for different skills, different tasks >> more alphas for NS >> subbed original alpha for PvE, subbed NS from time to time using monthly >> realized what utter ■■■■ VNI ratting, rorq mining and super ratting are >> ran into many bots, multiboxers that sometimes bot or at least broadcast >> unsubbed everything back to alphas.

Within that OP also thought to himself, “hey, maybe I’m just in a wrong place and wrong alliance” so OP made 2 more characters to try out other alliances, and to OPs dismay, they turned out to be all the same ■■■■ !!!

Then OP started really reading up on stuff, looking at histories and all that and it turned out its not the OP, its the ■■■■■■■ whole game and has been and players have been stating this for many years trying to bring all this stuff up to the devs but it has all fallen on deaf ears.

Or another example, Permafrost and Guardian Gala events. Who in their right mind would pay for this kinda ■■■■ ?

Seriously. How can anyone in good conscience pay for something like this ? You would have to be nuts to do so. Unless of course they partake and are part of those people that have caused these issues.

1 Like

Have you looked at the MERs there was quite a run up in the ISK supply and mostly due to the active ISK delta.

I doubt this one. There are huge amounts of PLEX for sale on the market. To manipulate you’d need an astonishingly deep wallet.

Possibly…this would basically be an increase in demand. But the question here is what? Honest question what do they fear is coming down the road?

Considering that the first 13 sell orders in Jita has 71,708 PLEX to buy them all up and drive up the price you’d need just under 136 trillion ISK. And even then…what are you going to do to liquidate that stock of PLEX once the price goes up? Once you start selling the price will start dropping. And you’d move the price about what…6,000 ISK.

This idea of some secret cabal cornering t he market for PLEX is simply laughable. The market is simply far too thick for that to happen.

All your theories are based on the permissibility of there is enough PLERX on the market, but if in reality there is a lack of PLEX on the market all you are talking about is void.