PLEX is too cheap

Yes… you must be new here.

The PLEX price is regulated by players. There is nothing to fix here other than your view on what things should and shouldn’t cost. They cost as much as we players want them to cost.

You are free to use your trillions of ISKs in order to manipulated the market by buying up all PLEX and listing them at a higher price as well as to set up pricier buy orders.

3 Likes

Which is not entirely true. With offering discounts on buying PLEX, CCP does influence the market indirectly.

2 Likes

The only relevant question is whether something is good for CCP, or not.

The idea here is to hit things off with selling cocaine to whales, then gradually lowering the bar so everybody ends up hooked. Let’s just be honest about this. It has nothing to do with good or bad taste, this is business. That’s all.

CCP can’t lose unless people ignore or break the habit. That’s why there isn’t just a single trigger mechanism to have a taste, or a single suite to partake in. That’s why there’s an ecosystem of cocaine, condoms, girls, boys and everything you need to make commercial use of what is known as perverse emotional/behavioural stimuli.

Sure, from time to time they intervene on the curves (some remember the good economist and the good sql man), but it’s hardly necessary. It all serves.

What you want doesn’t matter, doesn’t influence, doesn’t relate. You exist just to consume.

No, it’s still the players who decide to buy those PLEX. CCP doesn’t force anyone to buy them. It is still entirely player driven.

By accusing CCP of influencing the price of PLEX when really they’re only trying to make an income are you not being fair. How many PLEX a player can buy with real money depends also on the income of each of the players. It also depends on how much money they want to spend on EVE, or perhaps some other game instead. Stop blaming others or you’ll have to blame the whole world economy for the price of PLEX.

2 Likes

Do you believe that people buy crap out of their own free will, with actual decision behind, declaring any and all marketing research and advertisements as a pure waste of both time and money?

It can be the oposite actualy : it can be that more people have their account omega (relative to player base) and/or more people bought plex for cash. If daily player population is not declining it means the player base is getting more involved financialy into the game.

I’d say plex price is linked to alpha/omega ratio. Well, more like F2P/P2P ratio actualy.

1 Like

Do you mean in game or out of game?

Oh that is just one door away from the thinking that gave us Reaganomics and trickle-down-economics :wink:

Yes, people are forced to buy, because the business is to trigger. Let’s be open and honest about this for a moment, this is business. Companies map out behavioural triggers, weak / strong points, influence points and so forth. It’s not exactly rocket science even though the domains of sales & marketing in many sectors lag behind the actual curves of progress and practical application. Identify the entry points, create the demand, harvest the tears - err, the, well, reward.

The foundation of the business objectives rests on creating the behaviour that feeds. This is not rocket science. It just isn’t convenient for us to think about it. We much prefer not to, or to delude ourselves in thinking rationally even though we aren’t rational creatures, even as we reason we do so from and after an established perception point based on emotion, image and narrative.

Now the funny thing is that people much prefer to a chosen perspective. We love the mirror when we hold it in our hand, even if demonstrably what we see isn’t actually what there really is :slight_smile: But when someone else puts the mirror in front of us, interesting variables come in to play, like relation of hierarchy or relation of position annex distance. The funny thing is that in most of those segments people do not like the mirror. They refuse it, they reject the view, they do not appreciate a correction of their perception. It’s only human.

It’s only business, but it is predatory economics in the purest sense. It aims to provide selective commercial benefits through applied behavioural manipulation.

Thusfar CCP has been smart about it, resisting the internal proverbial (well …) EA, so to speak. But they are skirting the edges of things.

Also, you should remember this. CCP have been quite open and clear on these matters in the past. They do influence, they do intervene. Carefully, as little as possible, but they do have policy in place. Which only makes sense, it is after all their business. Keep in mind that PLEX and that little connected ecosystem has identifiers and value in the books :slight_smile:

5 Likes

I used “entirely” and “indirectly” for a reason. It is safe to assume that if or when CCP offer discounts this will have an effect on the market.

You are correct there are other influences outside of the game as well. PLEX discounts are only one example of exterior influences. Another important one is the “meta game” (in general).

I am not blaming anybody? Where do you get that from?

Yes, this seems to be the direction you were going: complain about plex prices being too much this or that, evade the argument of a player-driven economy, point at CCP instead, and here we are.

But please, lead the way. I will remain at my position that we have a completely player-driven economy.

Where ever else you want to arrive at can only mean you wish to introduce new and likely highly artificial factors disconnected from the real economy and the in-game economy. Maybe you’re trying to establish a centralized economy of sorts with regulated and fixed prices, who knows? :popcorn:

1 Like

I have not complaint about the PLEX price …at any time! Show me where I complain about it.

All I am saying is that there are more influences on PLEX prices than a full buyer/seller system. So, I am actually not evading the argument. I am actually using arguments to show you why I think you are wrong.

You are reading things which aren’t there and you fail to understand what is actually written. And this in two separate topics already. And becasue of that this is the last time I am replying to you because it feel like taling to a brick wall.

No, I do read and understand. You are now at the stage where you’re starting to complain.

It should have “clicked” with you at the moment when somebody said it’s a completely player-driven economy. Yet it didn’t. So from there on will you only run into a cascade of fail arguments. I’ve seen this so many times.

And yes, please do go on. Let the drama begin! :popcorn:

We can’t. There’s cornerstone elements which players are simply unable to provide or introduce :slight_smile:

It comes very close though, even today EVE stands right at the top in terms of virtual economic ecosystems. But it isn’t completely player-driven, it can’t be by means of commercial dependancies.

It should be noted that EVE’s economics since the introduction of F2P have become more subject to those, which is only logical. That doesn’t mean that EVE’s economics are worse off for it, it just means that CCP’s presence as an actor has increased. Which in turn is only logical, as they have developed a much more direct connection with the ecosystem by means of introducing a secondary system which carries accountancy values, and thus weight.

It still is one of the best virtual petri dishes out there for research on both applied economics and behavioural psychology.

Oh, it’ll be interesting :slight_smile: Prices will go down, briefly impacting on existing player buffers like SP Farms and the likes, but in the long run it’s moving from cocaine for whales to weed for the masses :slight_smile:

Not a bad thing, I would dare to say. It will drive a lot of status quo segments to either behavioural innovation, or leaving room for a proverbial next generation.

2 Likes

Just to some degree, there was more then XY CCP intervention in economy.
There is also excelent presentation and prove that Russian rubla exchange rate influenced EVE economy. Eve economy is part of world economy and is not only in “players hands”
:yen::dollar::euro::pound::money_with_wings:

3 Likes

But … but … my belief must be righteous and sacred! Reality can’t possibly clash with what I choose to believe!

:slight_smile:

What we call the EVE economy is pretty much a behavioural simulation where weight and value are part of a diverse amalgam of very structured mechanisms. That makes it very nice to observe and study in terms of economic behaviour, just like very other type of human behaviour.

But it doesn’t make it magically seperate from other things. People just choose to believe this, nothing more, nothing less. In a way that is as it should be, every human group dynamic - which includes economic behaviour - needs its mythology. Has zero bearing on reality, but without it, the construct (!) doesn’t match the triggers.

3 Likes

And yet it still is in the hands of the players to buy or not to buy. If the players aren’t always acting like mature, grownup adults doesn’t change the fact that it is what it is. Nor are adults save from influence. All the points you’re trying to make against it being player-driven are trivial and obvious. You only measure too much significance to them like someone who discovers these things for the first time.

The price of PLEX is also influenced by events inside the game. Yet this doesn’t seem to pose a problem for you when I say it is player-driven.

Your answer to everything seems to be ‘it’s a player driven economy’…

Don’t you think it’s over simplifying things?

You can argue a rental market is also driven by supply and demand. You pay or you don’t pay… it’s up to you… If you don’t pay, you become homeless, it’s pure and simple… There is no need to search for underlying problems. Like, if an investment firm buys up all the properties and starts charging triple/quadruple the old rent. It’s all good! Because you choose to pay that triple/quadruple price… it’s up to you!

Likewise, in Eve, things aren’t as simple as ‘it’s a player driven economy’. Some people have the means to exert complete control over a commodity (or CCP themselves). It doesn’t mean we cannot search for answers.

2 Likes

That is the theory and the (once upon a time - age of emergent dynamic - necessary) belief. In reality, as the virtual economics aren’t just disconnected (closed dynamic) and as CCP has its own role & dependancies, both fall short :slight_smile:

Trying to establish the perspective of “those who are triggered are not mature” is a bit funny, if ironic. No human is an island. There’s a painful correlation between intelligence in socio-economic development curves and vulnerability towards belief / emotion / participation triggers (vulnerabilities).

Let’s just be honest, no human is safe from influence. In truth, all human interaction carries influencer variables and weight. There is no human process without it. That has nothing to do with being mature or not. Not even with being well educated or intelligent (actually, on the contrary).

The price of PLEX is not solely construed by events or behaviour inside the game. Not even primarily. Behaviour inside the game is subject to applied science in service of business goals, not just people’s perceptions, wishes and wants :slight_smile: Remember it is a construct with value outside of the game, the most important value being one of bookkeeping.

So now that you have arrived at the bigger picture, what do you suppose we should do next?

After, let’s see, 15 users have taken part in a thread of “PLEX is too cheap” what do we arrive at next? Is it that we’re going to be fine with it being a player-driven economy or is it that we need more external influences?

Both!