Poll: Is EVE dying?

Meh, I voted always because I knew most would, but I should have voted yes.

As an 08 player, I watched the game grow to 50k avg and rising. Now it’s an avg of 30k and not growing. I don’t think eve is dying, but I don’t think were going see any growth for the next couple of years.

1 Like

Plot twist: EVE is already dead, and we’re the maggots that are feasting on its rotting corpse.

4 Likes

Twist twist: its not been born yet

1 Like

So true!

:rofl:

I don’t think acknowledging a reality that is certain for all is being scared shitless.

Maybe…but…what is achievement, really?

Well…doubtful we’re going to determine the answer to life, the universe, and everything on the forums of a game we play… (c’mon - somebody take that low-hanging fruit)

As far as EvE dying goes - EvE has been around an amazing 17 years. The way I see it no matter what happens with EvE it’s been a great ride and has made many good memories for me so…que sera sera

2 Likes

Existentialism has entered the chat room.

1 Like

Now now, we all know the answer is 42 - but what is the ultimate question?

1 Like

Gonna die . . .

1 Like

Eve online is already a corpse. Thankfully it’s not buried yet.

Always: 59%
No: 27%
Yes: 14%

Pretty clear result so far.

Unrelated fun fact: The demoscene is dying as well, slowly, spanning decades,
but the difference is that in their context it’s about a lack of creative talent joining.

That can’t happen to EVE, because suckers are born every minute …
… but creative talent is actually rare.

Put in a smartarse option and of course we’ll go for it. :wink:

1 Like

I felt like the results would be somehow tainted if there wasn’t one. :smiley:

2 Likes

I think I may have finally worked out why so many capsuleers feel angry and start throwing the toys out of the pram when a cherished game mechanic is changed…tbh I’ve felt that way myself a few times.
The problem is that CCP are a victim of their own success with gamers who appreciate often complex game mechanics.
For instance, although hi-sec mining itself is easy and relatively benign, it still involves a level of understanding that surpasses most - if not all - alternatives game-wise. Industry and the marketplace are very complex systems that require a suite of in-game skills and a considerable amount of real-world nous to master. Lo-sec cloaky ambushes involve a good deal of knowledge about setting up pitches correctly, knowing who to target, cynos etc, to say nothing of suicide ganking…and I haven’t even touched on 0.0 stuff … I could go on but the point is that so many of the different game styles in the Eve online sandbox aren’t just good - they’re great. You have to learn them. They are addictive. So it’s entirely natural and understandable that players get upset when their favourite “thing” is disrupted by CCP.

That’s also why so many ppl who say they’re going to quit end up sticking around: it really is a function of just how good this game is for anyone who wants more than just a console experience but isn’t entirely satisfied by 4X games…which is actually me to a tee.

The day CCP has to really worry is when all the “Eve dying because…” stuff stops appearing on the forums.

1 Like

Oh my sweet EvE …

1 Like

No it isnt, its counterintutive.

Player: “I love learning new stuff!”

CCP: “Ok, well we changed a bunch of previous stuff”

Player: “But I hate learning!”

Isn’t it called Entropy?, or i am wrong?..

1 Like

IIRC, entropy refers to a measure of chaos/disorder, not a decline into non-existence or a loss of life, but I could be overlooking an alternate usage of the word. Language is funky.

1 Like

Life is a sexually transmitted disease, which is invariably fatal.

4 Likes