Potential Fix for WHers for the 500mn HIC

Not if the module (or script) introduces an effect that immediately shuts down MWDs and prevents them from activating.

Perhaps we should just have excavator drones fail to deliver ore 1.8% of the time. Maybe triage doesn’t activate 1.8% of the time. Maybe when an industrial job completes, you just don’t get the item 1.8% of the time. What if 1.8% of the time your broadcasts don’t work? How about 1.8% of a fleet just fail to jump when taking a Titan Bridge?

Your statement is belittling and very revealing that you’re not actually here to understand, you’re here to patronize and pander because you’re worried CCP will pull the announced patch and then you’ll still have to deal with lurch hics.

You haven’t once acknowledged that the rolling HIC is a vital part of wormhole living, you haven’t once acknowledged the legitimacy of the potential impact this change will have on this subset of players, you haven’t once showed an ounce of empathy for the wormhole residents.

You’ve told us that you have an alternative that’s basically the same thing, but it isn’t even close to the mass values of the rolling hic. You’ve told us that getting rolled out isn’t a big deal, but it is because it removes me from my assets and forces me to make an extensive journey to get back home. You’ve said wormhole life is scary and you need to “htfu” in not so many words, but we already did htfu - we use techniques and game knowledge that you don’t have to make wormhole life possible, and now you’re saying we don’t deserve to be outraged at CCP going back on every prior commitment they’ve made about how they were going to resolve this issue, but if you were told repeatedly that the fix to an unrelated problem would be done so as to avoid the negative impact to your income, living arrangements, and gametime, only to be told - never mind git gud - you’d be outraged too.

Stop saying you’re here to represent us. You’re here to hush the crowd because you desperately want CCP to deploy the patch as it was announced. That change addresses what you care about - the lurch hic. You don’t care about the impact that change would have on wormholers, you and yours don’t live in wormholes, so it doesn’t negatively impact you.

You’re here playing politics, everything you’ve said is to try and diffuse the outcry, not find a legitimate resolution to the problem, otherwise, you’d be calling for CCP to hold off on the change because it’s clear they weren’t aware of how vital rolling hics are to the WH residents, and it’s an act of bad faith to do exactly what they said they wouldn’t do. At the very least, you as a CSM representative, should want CCP to feel some sort of obligation to follow their own word, and if they MUST renew, their explanation shouldn’t be “collateral dmg oh well”.

Admit what you’re here to do, don’t try and convince people you have different motives than you obviously do, and stop acting like wormhole residents are being whiney - this change is as bad as bubbles being allowed in low sec, or a limit on the number of citadels per null system.

2 Likes

None of that actually addresses the logic flow behind ‘what effects does this module have?’ It’s all accurate within itself, but determining the effects within the module doesn’t wait for the client. There’s no need to go up and down. You are literally trying to argue that there is a client/server lag in both directions between whether or not your bubble generator knows to make a bubble because it might have a focused point script in it already.

Not entirely. That’s why your MWD doesn’t finish its cycle when you’re scrammed.

OK, first I would propose that the script reduces bubble size to 1m radius so even if you lurch you aren’t going catch anything.

Then I would apply a severe speed reduction to the ship activating the script (similar to prototype cloaking devices) and/or a scramble effect to prevent the MWD being activated while the script is active.

No, I’m explaining how the code currently works to you so you stop assuming how easy it is to create and enforce a solvent mod activation restriction between two mods that operate on different cycle times, across multiple ticks, with unintended interacting properties.

It’s not about lag, it’s about server/client communications. You only send 1 tick per second, server only sends 1 tick per second. That means there is a massive window for combining inputs, and a massive window for advantage/disadvantage to be gained between server side calculations are performed.

If you can’t see why a simple “is a HIC bubble up” -> if yes then don’t allow MWD to activate, then you’re playing a very simpleton version of eve.

Hear hear!!

Ok, Piper, I’m still waking up, so lemme make my last two responses a little bit more coherent and clear.

There is logic happening on both sides of the equation. There’s logic that goes on on the server side, and there’s logic that goes on on the client side. The logic that goes on on the client side includes determining ‘these are all of the effects my module is attempting to apply, and which ships it is attempting to apply it to’.

It’s why non-covert cloaks immediately cut your speed, even though the prop is already cycling, instead of waiting 2 seconds to get that information back from the server.

They moved a chunk of that logic client-side.

To be fair, have you met the Imperium? If we could get ‘I ■■■■■■ up my broadcast’ and ‘they didn’t jump’ down to 1.8%, I’d be giddy.

1 Like

LMFAO! But think how much worse that would be if a further 1.8% didn’t get the broadcast or didn’t hear the call to jump?

Hey, I’m on the WHer’s side of all this. I lived in j-space for years. I think removing this capability without an established, simple fix already in place is idiotic, and I think telling your customers ‘we will not do X’ and then turning around and not just doing X, but presenting it with the off-hand ‘yeah, you’re getting screwed, but you always get screwed, so what the hell’ manner they did this… that’s just downright offensive, to all of their customers.

2 Likes

I do realise that reading your previous comments dude.

BTW your rolled out story was a classic! Scanning out with the mammoth only for one of the barges to get ganked in HS… :joy:

1 Like

Heh. I was laughing my tail off when that barge pilot started bitching, too.

Also on my list is my 1st-ever time in Nullsec. Got stuck on the wrong side of a hole in a Tempest. Probes, cloak, Cruiser-sized autocannons cuz I couldn’t use anything bigger yet (I was in the hull just to help roll holes). Scan my way out, I’m deep in null. I have no idea where I am, just that it’s null. I’m kinda worried. Set autopilot for Jita, start running.

3 systems out, I know I’m being hunted, but no bubbles on the gates.
2 systems out, hit a drag bubble, nobody there. Burn away at an oblique angle, cloak up as soon as I’m far enough from the can. The hunters show up. Spread out around the gate like they think they passed me in warp. I’m maybe 20km from the closest one, creeeeeeeping away under cloak. They go running back to the other gate. Then back. I watch them do this 3-4 times while I’m trying to get to warp distance. As soon as I’m out at 200km from the gate, I align, and wait. They warp to the other gate, and I decloak and warp. YES! I’m out of there!

Last system. Warp to the out-gate! I’m FREE! I’M FREE! I… DAMMIT BUBBLES. LOTS of bubbles. Oh crap. They’re piling into system. Bounce to a planet! Cloak up! Ok… ok… uhm… what to do… wait! I’m safe! There’s safety! Decloak, punch it into warp… A STATION! HOORAAAAwaitWHYWON’TITLETMEDOCK??? No time to figure it out, warp off. Maybe they’re off the gate. Warp back, prop on, time to run for it… I just need to get through these bubbles and I’ll be…

Welcome to HED-GP, beeyotch.

2 Likes

False.

PVP corps care about frig holes because when you are sieging a WH system you need to be able to lock it down.

Maintaining 23/7 hole control for a week only to see things go south on the final day because you can’t roll off an incoming frig hole is going to piss a lot of people off.

I’ve been admitting it. I’m here to represent the players to CCP. All the players. And when I see an issue, I’m going to do everything I can to help, because that’s my job.

The rest of your whiny post is exactly the problem - you’re pulling the same kind of crap that we constantly see every time a change is put out “OMG THEY’RE GOING TO KILL X, THE GAME IS OVER.”

It’s not. There are always workarounds and the meta is always changing. Even if CCP does nothing (and I am confident they will fix this before the release goes out), people are still going to live in wormholes and they’re still going to do what they’re doing, whether 500mn HICs are a thing or they aren’t.

I’d be fine with a limit on the number of citadels per null system, btw.

btw, dude, thanks for keeping on this, and for demonstrating that player feedback can get CCP to change course. I’ve had people tell me my piece on INN was the deciding factor, but like I told them, nothing there I didn’t say here, and I’m pretty sure you continuing to collect feedback here and deliver it to the devs had a lot more influence on things. Good job.

1 Like

In case you guys haven’t seen it, CCP has confirmed that they will have a new module released in October to ensure that WHers can still use HICs for hole rolling.

Thanks for everybody who provided me and others with constructive feedback - it really helped us to make the case for these changes.

1 Like

Not a bad idea, I would prefer giving the mass effect to another high slot module or creating a new module, but a porpoise could work.

What’s most depressing is the whole attitude of the announcement. The whole, “WH’s are screwed - oh well” attitude they presented. Granted we’re not playing EvE they way CCP wants, we’re playing it the way we want - but that doesn’t make our subscription any less valuable.

Thanks, for trying to help.

Good news is we won’t need the porpoise idea, because CCP is going to introduce a module that does this for WHers. Problem solved (hopefully).

3 Likes

Yeah, just read it, I’m fine with this idea. TY for the link.

1 Like