Potential Solitude gate suggestions, and a plea to maintain the region's uniqueness

Maybe they can spin it into an event in which angry Solitude extremists assassinate the president to try to keep regional autonomy?

5 Likes

Maybe they can spin it into an event in which angry Solitude extremists assassinate the president to try to keep regional autonomy?

There might be better in universe lore reasons to handle this, but I like where you head is at!

1 Like

If it isn’t broke, don’t fix it.
I am one of those players that settled solitude a long time ago due to it being cut off from the rest of highsec empire space. If it is connected to highsec empire, it would lose its appeal to me because it would become another highsec generic region. Solitude has so much history because of its unique ecosystem. A gate connecting main empire to the Solitude region would destroy that very ecosystem. How bout they just make a highsec gate into Delve? You know, make it easier for everyone there to leave and everyone who would like to get in there to do so…

4 Likes

You mean the Yoiul event? That could be an exception, since the event filaments could yeet you there with no way of getting back without using another or cutting through low or null sec. Made a modest profit selling those to stranded explorers or folks looking for easy logistics. Haven’t been back since, so I’ll have to check.

I think there’s some misunderstanding in that I think Solitude needs a highsec-highsec connection from some posters. I don’t. In fact, I mention in my OP that that would be the least desirable option, as I do think that would completely kill off what makes Solitude unique. I should clarify that I value Solitude because it has such a large highsec island, and I think that is what ultimately makes the region interesting in having people work around that. I disagree with the notion that having less people around makes the region more desirable, though.

I view player interaction as being key to what defines an MMO. If that wasn’t present, then I’d just play a singleplayer game. I guess it’s a mindset some people have, which is why I’ve included multiple suggestions, and is why they could even be tinkered with if they don’t maintain the fidelity of Solitude enough.

Ausmaert to Meunvon was one of my suggestions on the original map. Let’s say that I moved that connection around a little bit, to where instead, it was Kenninck* to Arittant, both systems of which are visible on that first map. If you were to take that route and travel from Stacmon to Yvelet, the closest possible mainline Solitude hisec system, it would take 15 jumps. Or, exactly the same distance from Bherdasopt in Genesis to Yvelet. The journey to Solitude would be just as treacherous, but there would just be another large amount of lowsec systems available to travel to to get there. Not a single highsec systems exists in that 15-jump chain either.

But maybe that wouldn’t be enough. Maybe people think that there should only ever be one empire gate in to Solitude, because the Shirshocin-Agaullores gate exists and almost every time, it’s the one I use to get in to the region. People are thinking up lore reasons as to why there wouldn’t need to be another gate added. What if there was a lore region for the one empire connection Solitude has to just be moved around?

This is currently happening in the world news. Tension between the Federation and the Empire is heating up. Borders between both nations are being reinforced. The Aridia border in particular is being reinforced by the Khanids, who more or less have their sphere of influence over Aridia. I’m not exactly a lore expert when it comes to the Amarr, but I’ve always understood that Khanids to be one of the more ruthless of the Amarr houses. Who’s to say they don’t take matters in to their own hands since the space is that far away from the rest of the empire, and just sever the connection?

And what if, perhaps, at nearly the same time, President Aguard introduces said gate from Kenninck to Arittant? It’d be the same amount of systems required to get there, and there would still only be one empire connection to Solitude. It’d just be through the Federation instead of the Empire this time. It’d heat up tensions even further between the two sides, and lean in even closer to resumed, active warfare between the two parties. Solitude retains its integrity in exactly the same way, just in different locations.

I get that the adage “if it ain’t broke, don’t fix it” exists, but what if it’s stagnant? What if change could be made without threatening the integrity of the region? I think something like that could work without doing so.

*thanks to Auriga in the fiction forums for the suggestion of using Kenninck instead. It is indeed closer, and works much better for retaining that distance.

1 Like

This is what we’re trying to explain to you. Solitude is not stagnant, it is vibrant and dynamic. I’ve lived in a lot of regions and none of them are like Solitude, you know this to be true I’ve seen you out here. If all you do is sit in Boystin or greater Goins then I can see why you might think that the region is stagnant.

To borrow an analogy from Starcraft, when the Overmind assimilated the progenitors to the Overlords into the Swarm, it hardly changed their genetic structure for fear of inadvertently destroying their psionic potential. Solitude’s unique nature and player culture are much the same: they are completely dependent on the regions geographic isolation and any change to the travel patterns around Solitude has the potential (I would say certainty) to destroy that uniqueness. It doesn’t matter if the gate is high to high or high to low or low to low. It should always be a long and arduous journey through hostile space to get here, or there’s nothing special about Solitude at all.

EDIT: you’re getting likes for posts that are clearly well made and in good faith.

1 Like

SIDEBAR: I love how we go over a month with no world news stories and then get nearly 10 in less then 36 hours. I have to catch up I stopped at Tanno II.

1 Like

Seems living as a nomad in solitude is a good idea. Great place to do abyssal space away from ganks.

Sry thought it said gate to Stain

1 Like

Awe man, now all of eve will be coming here, guess I’d better relocate, well there goes that.

Sure, which is why I’m wondering if the solution provided in my post above yours would be a good alternative. There’d still just be one empire gate in to Solitude, while still being the same amount of jumps from contiguous highsec to Solitude highsec. It’d also manage to achieve what CCP seem to want by creating a gate to the Federation.

We all know you just want to mine to mine and mission mostly afk with no PvP interference. Unfortunately for you it is against the lore.

1 Like

Yeah actually, you’re right. I wanted to create more lowsec gates to Solitude so that less people would go there and I could carebear in highsec in peace.

You sound like someone that’d be fun to carebear with. I live in Aridia, you should come down and mine with me sometime! Bring a Hulk, we’ll need the extra mining efficiency since I mine in a Pilgrim.

3 Likes

There are only two possible reasons why someone would want to disrupt Solitude’s unique identity:

1. They, as carebears, want more easy access to space that’s perceived as more lucrative/profitable (or they want more high-sec to be available even though most of it is underutilized as is, i.e. the “if Trigs flipped systems to null-sec, why can’t we go and flip null-sec systems to high-sec?” argument).

2. They, as PvPers, want additional routes into the region because they want to camp gates for easy victims who would attempt to go to Solitude because it’s now “more accessible” and “apparently more lucrative” and a “great place to mine or run missions” or whatever. This means that these PvPers are weak and unable to compete for pirating territory with the major players on the main route.

Both of these reasons are extremely selfish, self-serving, and downright deceiving to the community.

It just makes no sense to contradict yourself by saying “oh no, I want Solitude to remain unique and secluded, but here are the gates that I’d like to see added that would make it much easier to get to from the rest of high-sec space!”

In fact, I’d say that anyone who’s in favor of keeping Solitude’s unique identity intact should be asking CCP to add 20 null-sec jumps between it and the rest of high-sec. And pump them full of Trigs too, for good measure.

3 Likes

Or perhaps I’m a roleplayer who has a Gallente character who understands Federation lore and understands that it would be both silly and suicidal for a region of the Federation to not want a direct link to the Federation, especially since the three existent links they have are to the Syndicate, which, given that Solitude became a member of the Federation specifically because the Federation Navy swooped in and saved the region from its pirate infestation when it was still considered a frontier region. And the other one is to the Amarr Empire, which given recent hostilities, and the fact that House Kador had in recent years let an ill-fated expedition in to Solitude, makes that connection suspect.

Also, given that CCP is more or less going to do this anyways, perhaps my suggestion, primarily the one I’ve made in my post referencing Kenninck as a good place to put a gate, is intended as harm mitigation for the region. I would like to amend the suggestion that I’ve made earlier in that Babirmoult would be a better destination for the gate instead of Arittant, because I erroneously thought that the former route from Stacmon to Yvelet was 15 jumps when it was in fact 13. With a Kenninck-Babirmoult gate, it would be 14, so one less, but if we go with the further plot point that the Agaullores-Shirshocin gate is decommissioned, either by the Empire or the Federation, then I think that would be a good way to mitigate damage to the unique ecosystem that the region has.

2 Likes

If you’re a role-player, then you should be aware that the Federation isn’t a three-month-old capsuleer auto-piloting a Badger full of cruise missiles to their mission-running base of operations. The Federation has a navy (one powerful enough to clear out all of null-sec in a week if they wanted to), and going through some low-security systems (that are part of Gallente space anyway) wouldn’t be a problem for them.

The you should be arguing more for them to not do this, instead of presenting them with a selection of options for screwing up their own game.

I’ll admit I laughed.

That’s not realistic though. The only time I can think of when CCP backed down on something due to player backlash was Incarna, and that was because enough people unsubbed to the point where it threatened their income. My understanding of how CCP implements content is that they have an idea of something they want to do, they’ll go ahead and do it whilst sometimes listening to player feedback on how it would be best for them to implement said features. I’m making a thread like this knowing full well that it might just be too late in development at this point to negotiate where they’re going to do it, and if that’s just a hunch, then it’s far too late to suggest that they just don’t do it at all.

Having everyone that lives in Solitude unsub would barely be a drop in the water for CCP as well. There’s no threatening of their income for a situation like this that would cause CCP to change their course. The whole point of this thread is that there is going to be a result from this that people that live in Solitude may not like. I don’t think I, nor any other Solitude resident could convince them to change their mind at this point. What I seek to do is provide them with the least damaging option.

Yikes Aridia. I never roll down my windows when I pass through, bad neighborhood haha

Depends on where in Aridia, I suppose. Northern Aridia is full of LSH, White Sky and other such Russian alliances that would love to make your day a living hell. Southern Aridia’s very much like an Amarr version of Solitude though. Few people, loads of systems to farm in, its own little highsec island in Keba and Zaveral. Pretty nice, if you don’t mind the fact that no one else lives there.