Praxis vs. Faction Battleship

Hello everyone,

I’m new to the game and want to get into battleships. I am in Amarr space, and observed that the Amarr battleships are like 300 millions and the Praxis at 170 millions. Is there a reason for the almost double price for the Amarr battleships? Does the Praxis work for pve in Hi-sec??? Wich one do I need to buy?

Thanks all in advance

it depends on what you want to do with it

1 Like

Well, I’m doing lvl 3 missions and some sites but want to be able to do some escalations also.

Praxis is cheaper than regular t1 because it’s given for free during events (and maybe requires less minerals to build idk)…

If you are limited by isk, get the praxis, it’s a swiss army knife ship and you can fit it in many different ways depending on the task you want it to do. It also doesn’t require BS lvl5 to get max hull bonuses.
If not limited by isk/ sp… dedicated ships for different missions, dedicated DED running ship depending on npc type you shoot.

3 Likes

you need BS only when doing ded 5/10 escalations. For all other combat exploration around hisec use cruiser. You do lvl 4 missions in BS

For lvl3 missions use battlecruiser. BS is too slow and have hard time hitting small targets. Lvl 3 missions are still mostly frigates, destroyers and cruisers. In praxis you will waste huge amount of time in warp and you won’t apply to target most of that paper (paper dps = shown in fitting window) DPS on targets.

Also, don’t fly BS unless you have all hull related and support skills (both for gunnery/missiles and fitting) to at lest lvl 3-4. Just because you can sit in hull doesn’t mean you should fly it.

3 Likes

Thank you all for the replies. So I guess I will go with a Absolution, long-range sniper. This is what i have, but i had some problems running SOME lvl 3 missions so i dont really know what am I doing wrong

It’s either bad fit or your piloting. You should have no issue with lvl 3 missions in simple t1 BC (Harbinger for Amarr).

Show your current fit you use for missions and tell what exactly is the issue. People will give you some tips how to improve.

And most important. While I try to suggest you most efficient setup. Always fly ships that are most fun for you and do things that brig joy. EVE is a game not a job. Going only for maximum income is bad idea

4 Likes

Ok, im currently not home so i will post the fit in a couple of days, whould greatly appreciate all the tips regarding the fit and piloting it. When i get back will post the fit i have. Thanks for taking your time to answer my questions!

I am fairly sure ithe reason you are having some problems is down to a lack of skills more than a bad fit for the most part but that could all so be a problem.

If you are having a hard time on level 3 missions the odds are good you are flying above your skill level this can be semi fixed with better fits but best to wait for skills to train some more.

1 Like

Praxis v T1 Amarr Battleship.

In virtually all cases the Amarr T1 battleship will out perform the Praxis. For example, An Apocalypse, a good mission battleship carries eight turrets to the Praxis’ six - OK, the Praxis gets drone and missile benefits and a couple of missile slots, but that’s a couple more weapon systems to train. Assuming you’ve got the PG for six turrets and two launchers.
The Apocalypse’s bonuses to range and tracking equate to more damage at the same range and better application.

Once you get to Amarr Battleship IV, then the damage bonus on an Abaddon is 30% compared to 25% on the Praxis. At the same point the Armageddon has a 40% drone bonus compared to 25% on the Praxis.

If fitting for Armour, the Amarr Battleships uniformly out perform a Praxis. With an Amarrian ship you are going to be armour fitted, and use Energy turrets - but that’s Amarr for you: use a brick to bring the Light of God to the heathens.

As others have said, you don’t need a Battleship for Level 3 missions, a well fitted battlecruiser works nicely (I use a Harbinger). Don’t aim for a Command ship for mission running - they are a long train and not needed. They have their role and are expensive.
The Navy Harbinger is a good upgrade if you’ve the ISK.

It is seriously worth training the basic skills - “the Magic 14” as they are known (Google it). They help with everything you fly, then add in the relevent weapon skills and defensive skills and it’ll make a good base to build on.

The Praxis us a ship with a low skill threshold, yes, but once you’ve modest skills then it’ll become a limiting problem for you.

7 Likes

^^^ What Tarak said.

That “magic 14” is very useful…pretty much mandatory, in my opinion. Amarr ships often have more powergrid/capacitor than some others, but laser weapons are very hungry on your powergrid/capacitor so training skills to give yourself a bit more there can be useful if you fly Amarr laserboats.

If you like a more sniping style of play then the Apocalypse is the Amarr battleship for you!

The Harbinger is a good ship for lv3 type stuff.

Amarr ships are generally a bit slower (yet oh so stylish!) but the praxis is really slow.

gl

2 Likes

Warp Drive Operation is overrated.

the praxis costs exactly the same in materials to build as the gnosis, the sunesis, and the shuttle which name escapes me: 1 tritanium.

apotheosis

1 Like

Great data exposed, this is what I needed. Now i get the price difference. Going to take a look at the Magic 14. As for the ISK, im not the one that has enough to buy and equip a Navy harbinger, will stay with the normal for some time. Thanks again for the reply, much appreciated

1 Like

I love the Amarr style! Best looking is the Abaddon in my opinion, but i read somewere that is not so new player friendly because of the capacitor and power grid. So i guess Praxis is out

1 Like

the Praxis is amazingly forgiving for newbie fits. Back when I started my Highsec alt I kitted it out with a drone praxis with shield buffer and cargo tank and parked it in a permanent combat site, hoovering up wrecks and salvaging away while my drones zipped around murdering rats, and I sent pretty much everything to market. By the time that alt was a month old it was an ISK billionaire.

Well, this is the fit that i currently use

[Harbinger, *Zonk Kai’s Harbinger]
Heat Sink I
Heat Sink I
Heat Sink I
Medium Armor Repairer I
Thermal Armor Hardener I
EM Armor Hardener I

10MN Monopropellant Enduring Afterburner
Tracking Computer I
Tracking Computer I
Cap Recharger II

Heavy Pulse Laser I
Heavy Pulse Laser I
Heavy Pulse Laser I
Heavy Pulse Laser I
Heavy Pulse Laser I
Heavy Pulse Laser I
Automated Targeting Unit I

Medium Capacitor Control Circuit I

Tracking Speed Script x1
Imperial Navy Microwave M x6
Optimal Range Script x1

Something like this should work much better.
Change ammo depending on what range enemy is (shorter range ammo = more dps). Use afterburner to control range. Kill smallest targets first. While they flying straight at you, your guns shouldn’t have issue to hit them. once they get 'under your guns", deploy drones and let them kill small stuff while you work on rest of enemies.
Also, always stay in the move. Don’t fly straight at enemies so you will be harder to hit by enemy and take less damage. <- speed tanking.

[Harbinger, *Simulated Harbinger Fitting]
Heat Sink II
Heat Sink II
Heat Sink II
Prototype Compact Thermal Armor Hardener I
Prototype Compact EM Armor Hardener I
Medium I-a Enduring Armor Repairer

10MN Y-S8 Compact Afterburner
Cap Recharger II
Cap Recharger II
Optical Compact Tracking Computer

Heavy Modulated Energy Beam I

Hobgoblin I x15

Standard M x7
Multifrequency M x1
Radio M x1

2 Likes

Will do. And for the Navy type Harbinger? What do you recommend?