Price change on subscriptions in GBP

DPA2018 and HRA1998 both cite directly from EU law. DPA1998 stood on its own.

When as in the given examples, local legislation cites from a higher authority, that is legislation handed down by an authority to whom you have ceded sovereignty. When you can carry a case on the back of a single document such as the Data Protection Act, that’s law done right and done local by the same sovereign entity under whose laws you operate.

Per McFarlane, J in Re: H:

“The European Court of Human Rights has no jurisdiction in England. Any documents issued by that entity has at best hope, the opportunity to become considered as advisory materials, which in the present case, shall be dutifully ignored.”

• calling back to my comment about the HRA earlier on: some of the omitted Articles describe the formation and function of the ECtHR. As the UK law does not acknowledge those articles, it basically has no obligation to the ECtHR. Doesn’t even have to listen to them.

you don’t have to be civil to a police officer, just don’t be surprised if you get tasered.

Guess it all depends on your pain threshold.

Dream on.

Years ago when I went to school in Greater London my 2 best friends, one was from India the other from Pakistan. Guess that makes me very xenophobic (sarcasm).

The eastern Europeans I’ve talked to some of them seem like decent people others didn’t talk long enough to find out. But if they’re nice or not isn’t the issue.

It’s not the fact that people come from abroad to work it’s the amount that makes the difference. And yes for that I don’t blame those trying to better themselves by going to another country to work.

It’s not a problem that they go back home, once they’ve earned enough to set themselves up back home you would expect quite a few would return home.

But then one of the things some remainers used to say after the vote was that leavers were xenophobic/racist. I say to that what a load of old cobblers.

I don’t take much notice of polls they can be fudged.

Still, I used to say a lot of remainers were not democratic, after all they went against the democratic vote.

The bickering in Parliament was a total disgrace.

I was the first generation in my family to visit Europe in a civilian capacity, since the… mid 17th century, when some of my ancestors escaped religious persecution in France.
Every generation since, only ever visited the Continent while in uniform.

I disagree, had this argument with my brother once. We had a democratic vote the result was leave that’s the end of the democratic process on the referendum. Keep trying to change the result to what you want is not democratic.

You get propaganda from both sides, your job as a voter is to try and see through it. Of course what you believe is the correct way forward would always be your priority.

Two choices leave or remain can’t get simpler than that. Remainers wanted a second and last referendum with a different set of options including the deal the last PM put together which was not popular with either side. If that had gone ahead remainers would have won the second vote which was why they were pushing for it as they knew that.
[/quote]

Not everyone who voted for Leave were racist, that is for sure. However, free movement of labor was one of the things of the common market.

Personally when I was in UK (2003-2006 & sometime before referendum) I was always wondering people moaning about “bloody Pa…s” and how EU lets them in while even I as a foreigner knew that EU has nothing to do with immigration from Commonwealth nations.

For example, I was hiking near Hadrians wall with my future wife and spent time in a small village. Older bloke, retired gentleman in neat clothing, said that he wants out of EU because they have ruined his village.

I asked how and his reply was, I kid you not, because EU let in some n-words and they have opened an Indian restaurant in the village.

I did not really have an idea what to answer but I visited the restaurant because I figured it will have decent food anyway (and it did)

2 Likes

The british tabloids are something else indeed but believing or looking for a narrative which reinforces your pre-existing beliefs is something most humans do.

However, no matter how (for example) Toryg…Telegraph wants you to believe, EU did not blink as they predicted to happen with EU presidents latest speech.

Now UK has WA which few months ago was a great deal but now a document which leads to subjugation etc. in Brexiters mind.

And all the while, the scooter is slowly driving towards the cliffs of Dover…

2 Likes

He had your line of reasoning.

Democracy doesn’t end with a vote, but the vote on the referendum should be final as it was a democratic vote. If a democratic vote can be overturned what’s the point of democracy. Once the vote was counted and result known they should have all just got on with it, instead of bickering for a few years.

The problem you have is who do you trust, even so called experts often put their own agendas first. But most voters will know what they want and if one party covers what they want, they will likely get their vote. Again though you have to decide if you are willing to trust what they say or not.

leave covers everything to do with leaving whereas remain is just keeping it as it was. It’s obvious that people had had enough as they were willing to take a chance with leaving. Main reason for me voting leave was to put all the power of making decisions back in this country. Although there were times I did wonder if that was the right decision after watching many parliament sessions of them arguing over Brexit.

Remainers at one point wanted a vote of remain, last PMs deal and leave (no deal) or something to that effect. Problem with that is it would split the leave vote so remain would win.

The only fair options were the ones we had to start with. Plus a second referendum wouldn’t be really democratic.

Anything’s better than Scottish cuisine, which is all based on a dare.
:joy:

/legs it back down south with a haggis and a case of whisky

I agree, remainers were the biggest pack of bare faced liars i’ve ever seen in my life.

I’m still waiting on the massive recession that Mark Carney, David Cameron, George Osborne and the London school of economics plus many other experts. All claimed would happen straight after we voted for Brexit.

Where are the food shortages, Where are the medicine shortages, why hasn’t there been power outages, Why are planes still flying. Where’s the massive civil unrest and rioting a looting i was told was going to happen.

Now we might of had a little bit of the above due to Covid and a bunch of Anarcho Communist that want to end capitalism playing up. I’ve seen no evidence so far though that anything major despite a fall in currency value happend due to the Brexit vote.

I’m just a proud patriot that’s still waiting on the apocalypse i was promised for voting Brexit.

I will do, and tonight, i will go to sleep with a big smile on my face knowing. There’s absolutely nothing you remainers can do to stop Brexit…

1 Like

I think you give this populist too much credit.

He’d been after Brexit for years, only reason he was popular is people wanted change.

A problem the UK has is the with all the fights over Brexit in Parliament the two sides became more divided.

When the EU turned around and said effectively you don’t have to do anything you can stay in as you were. The remainers decided they didn’t need to compromise to get what they want. So the leavers decided if they’re not willing to even compromise nor will we. Which polarised the 2 sides.

There are remainers that are still trying to undermine the process now. If they ever got their way I think there could be trouble.

Although we’re a bit distracted atm like other countries we remain a divided country and I can’t see that changing anytime soon.

Although, a guy I know was even on the marches for remain, we disagree where politics are concerned but we still get on alright. I expect most people do.

That’s the facts, before the EU decided to drop that bombshell remainers were looking at compromises afterwards they didn’t have to do anything other than to try and stay in the EU.

I agree, it probably is a remainer plot at least in part.

I actually agree with our government on this issue. The problem was the EU insists on doing things in stages and this is the kind of problem you get when doing that.

We shouldn’t have signed that agreement, but I don’t mind betting that the EU insisted so as to move onto another stage.

We look to be heading for a no deal and that agreement with a no deal will cause us problems. So I have no problem with the government changing that as insurance against a no deal.

Of course, earlier this year the WA was awesome (Boris Johnson) and now it is hideously bad (also BoJo) so go figure.

Reminds me when I was in the university and in its bar there was a set of programs which kept repeating in the tv and one of the programs (dont remember the name) had BoJo speaking of various topics in few minute clips.

I asked classmate who that guy was because he appeared in so many programs. His words unfortunately were not prophetic as he uttered “Oh, he is one half a penny populist who will never be in position to cause any real damage…”

Hi all,

I think it is now time to close this thread - a lot of good discussions early on but is now starting to infringe on a few of the categories below.

1.Specifically restricted conduct.

The purpose of the EVE Online forums is to provide a platform for exchange of ideas, and a venue for the discussion of EVE Online. Occasionally there will be conflicts that arise when people voice opinions. Forum users are expected to courteous when disagreeing with others.

In order to maintain an environment where everyone is welcome and discussion flows freely, certain types of conduct are prohibited on the EVE Online forums. These are:

Trolling
Flaming
Ranting
Personal Attacks
Harassment
Doxxing
Racism & Discrimination
Hate Speech
Sexism
Spamming
Bumping
Off-Topic Posting