Procurer is no longer fun to mine with - Too slow to do everything

It’s unfortunate you lost your Proc, and the slow align/warp time is something they’re supposed to be fixing though I haven’t seen what the final warp time is supposed to be yet. (Haven’t looked, tbh)

It’s probably best to mine in the Ventures and their upgrades for a bit while you find out how the mining update works.

A few points, that hopefully you’ll accept in the spirit of “how to be less upset and more prepared when these things occasionally happen”:

• It’s low sec, with no protection, and everything and everyone is a fair target always. That’s why some people will disagree with the “ganked” part (which is a surprise one-sided ambush kill).
  • Low sec shows everyone in local, so you can see every new person entering the system. This is why being attacked should not have come as a ‘surprise’.
  • It was a Praxis battleship, which is large and slow and doesn’t have insta-lock, so there would have been a fair bit of warning as they warped towards you.
  • If you were at a known belt, close to the standard warp-in belt, they might not have even had to scan you down. They could just warp to each belt in turn. Always move well away from the standard warp-in point. If you were away from it, they had to scan you down, which means you had even more warning if you were watching.
  • As others have said, your Proc was fit in a way that pretty much means it was bad at everything. You may call it multi-purpose but it was really just an inefficient easy target.

On this last point I’m not certain (because I don’t mine), but I believe that having 3 Overdrive II’s in your lows actually makes you take longer to achieve warp. Because they increase your max velocity but do not increase your acceleration (if I understand the fit correctly). So your Proc build would be significantly slower than a regular Proc to reach warp, if I’m correct about that.

At any rate, give the mining changes a couple weeks to settle down, and then take the various things you’ve learned from this and put them to work so you can have a better chance next time.

1 Like

I think you’re correct. imo Nanofiber Internals would have been a better choice. An increase in speed (since that’s what the OP seems to have been going for) and an increase in agility. Overdrives only increase speed so yeah, it stands to reason that it was slower to warp than fitting nothing at all.

LOL wat

Acceleration/agility are only affected from the baseline by mass (or a direct agility modifier). Increasing your speed does not make you warp slower.

2 Likes

We’re talking about reaching 75% of your maximum velocity so your ship enters warp. (Align time, basically.)

Since the Overdrives affect max velocity without affecting acceleration, it takes longer to reach that 75% level, is my understanding. Again, never checked this myself, just something I recall reading somewhere.

They certainly don’t help with mining, defense, or anything but moving from rock to rock, so likely not the best thing he could be putting in the lows.

When I said “slower to warp” I meant slower to get to warp, not slower warp speed.

Always best to fact check, I guess. I looked up some of the old posts on this, they argue both ways (accel to warp velocity is slower, vs. accel to warp is the same because accel is % based).

So I called a buddy to test it in-game (I’m not in a game-capable location currently) and he said his align time stayed the same in Fitting window with OD’s and without.

So the OD’s in the OP’s fit weren’t helping with mining, defense, or fleeing (align time), and were only helping him move around ore fields faster. Might be worth considering Nanofibers or something else for the lows in that case.

2 Likes

or gasp… using another ship… since there are other barges/exhumers to use.

Higher velocity doesn’t make you slower to get to warp.

You’ve been playing for over a decade and you don’t know this?

The “I know more than you do” sneering doesn’t really help when someone’s discussing a valid point.

I seem to recall you and Gix discussing exactly what timers are triggered by Bastion mode recently. What, you’ve been playing for over a decade and you didn’t know this?

Maybe try to leave the “I’m better than you” posturing out of your posts once in a while. It’s in the holiday spirit, after all.

1 Like

Overdrives do NOT affect align time, not that that makes sense but because that’s how EVE mechanics work. Only things that affect mass or agility affect it, just like Destiny stated.

Quite frankly this is about as basic info as it gets for a player who has been playing this game for any decent length of time. I mean, people are going to to fit these modules at some point and then realise that, wait a minute, my align is still the same OR they look things up in a wiki or with Pyfa (or EFT back then).

1 Like

Well, I don’t use overdrives so… there ya go.

Overdrives are not the only way to increase the maximum speed of your ship, there’s also skills, implants, rigs, command bursts… none if those increase your align time.

Only propmods like afterburners and microwarp drives increase both your maximum speed and align time, but that’s because they add a significant amount of mass to your ship when active, not because increased max speed increases your align time.

If increased speed made your ship less agile, the game would be strange… you would be training a skill to fly your ship faster and it becomes more sluggish to respond. People would be encouraged to not train Navigation and Acceleration Control to level 1 because they negatively affect your ship’s agility.

1 Like

Cool thanks for the heads up. I just found out about the nanoweb functional increase in speed, and now you say it helps with warp align times too? I’ll definitely keep my eye on it.

I almost got hit again today by a ganker (solo) hitter named Clumsy Pete, I’ve seen him hanging around the station but hadn’t looked him up on the killboards, he entered my mining belt at approximately 50Km away from me when I saw him on the main layout (which I was watching like a hawk while mining).

I recalled my drones and then immediately hit the warp out, when my new retriever entered warp, he had closed the distance to 4Km in just the few seconds that it took to click, his frigate was decked out to hit and hit fast with a warp destabilizer, then big tech II guns. I lost one mining drone II as I ditched him and then he followed me back to the station and hovered there like a vulture, all the while proclaiming in the local chat he was not trying to gank me, I looked him up: 424Billion Isk in carrer ganks.

That’s the type of player we new miners are up against.

Gee. He is what my friends call a “Whale” player at the hundreds of million ISK ships level. Eve. Ouch that woulda hurt to lose another miner to a Ganker even a solo one.

That system is filling up with bad guys and girls interrupting the mining operations in the systems. which will in turn interrupt the manufacturing. it would be great to see someone clear out the system of these disruptions in the chain of commerce.

I really think there should be a way to call the concord cops in this imaginary future. Insurance only pays like 1/3 of what you need to rebuild after a gank.

Asteroid Mining, it’s what I like about Eve. I would totally do it for real if given the chance.

I hope it gets fixed soon.

You looked him up?

Did you notice that he has a 5.00 security status (the highest possible), and that he doesn’t have a single gank kill to his name? Or did you just take his total value destroyed (of which 99%+ happened in null-sec fleet warfare), and assumed that it all came from high-sec ganking, like some kind of face-rolling idiot, before deciding to accuse an innocent player on a public forum by name for something they never did?

Clueless-ass carebears don’t know ■■■■ about the game. Your posting history is nothing but a litany of PvP complaints and begging for CCP to give you more video game money.

At the rate your neurons are firing, I’d be willing to bet solid cash that you’d say the same thing about your own shadow.

Then why don’t you get a ship with guns and do it, you mewling wussy?

You sound like one of those people who anxiously cross the street when they see a black person walking in their direction, and then tell all their friends that they “almost got assaulted” that day.

I hope you get fixed soon (you know, like “fixing” a pet), before you can pass on your outrage-based personal values down to a litter of little tax burdens to society.

2 Likes

Keep in mind that while the nanofibers do improve your speed and align, they have a downside: reduction in hull HP. So if you use them, make sure you pay even more attention as you can be killed more easily with those things on your ship.

Still a good module though!

Also, like Destiny correctly noticed: don’t accuse people of things they did not do.

Yeah, I was thinking about real physics not in game physics. If acceleration is unchanged but target velocity increases then time to target velocity would also increase… but this is Eve. :slight_smile:

Would you like me to explain to you why what you said right there is really stupid?

You may want to consider finding a quieter area to mine. Hop in a speedy little ship and look around the great big universe.

As has been pointed out, nanofiber internals will cost you hull hp, but I swear by 'em for most activities. The rig versions are called Polycarbon Engine Housings and will cost you armor hp instead of hull. You can use the Polycarbon rigs and stick a Damage Control (increased damage resistances) in a low slot. Play around in the fitting simulator, see what might work for you.

So this sounds like you’re watching your Overview for warning against attacks, which is better than nothing but leaves you with very little warning when a ship is incoming (a few seconds).

First thing you want to be watching is local. When a new name enters Local Chat list, then you have a potential problem and it’s time to start being extra careful.

Your second thing to check is D-Scan. Open your Scan window, click the Directional Scanner, set it to 360 degrees and max AU. Then ping it as often as needed (which means, pretty often). It will show you if someone has probe scanners out (big warning) or will show ships warping towards you from much farther away than your Overview.

This is pretty much a required skill for mining in low sec.

1 Like

carebear? Gotta love the forums