[PROPOSAL] Dreadnoughts and Marauders siege mode

I appreciate that you have preferences and a preferred gameplay style and preferred ships. But you don’t have the same appreciation towards my preferences and preferred gameplay style and preferred ships.

Personally, I have never been able to stand putt-putting around in little sh!t-mobiles (frigates), and to me, from the first day I played EVE their only use was a stepping stone until I could tech out of them and into something ‘better.’ Interestingly, this also matches my real life preferences. I always hated little 4-cylinder sh!t-mobiles, rice burners, whatever u want to call them. Give me a gas-guzzler, an old V-8, a heavy truck, etc. and I’m happy.

That’s neither here or there. It’s just to illustrate that different people have different preferences. I’ve never begrudged anyone their ‘nano-gang’ or small ship preferences. I always figured the game has room for all of us. But you and your ilk don’t want to live and let live. You want to force your particular preferences on all of us and nerf/remove others out of the game. I don’t respect that.

Yeah, dumb flying will lead to dread applying less damage to slow/stationary targets, but no matter how bad you even try to fly, you will decrease transversal against stuff that is faster than you for most of the time. Furthermore, there is other utility related to moving, like range control and whatnot, it isn’t just transversal. Moving is a benefit for anyone, no matter how incompetent.

Furthermore, even if we ignore dreads, what about marauders? Sure, they are very expensive, but what do they lack? They have great dps, tank, range, are immune to ewar, can fit utility stuff on highs, jump 100km… AND you want them to also move during all that? Nah, that would be just crazy.

I am totally in favor of redesigning siege to allow for mobility, but with the current siege bonuses, marauders have no business to be mobile and dreads would be too good as well.

Eh, I think the problem of many is that capitals rain from the sky against any incursion in something large-ish, and sometimes even against a small gang. Look at that whining post when 9 subcaps had to flee to a hotdrop of a super, a dread and a fax. The subcap gang took half an hour to fly around and the cap gang is on top of them in a press of a button.
I believe that IF capitals couldn’t cyno (or at least if there were some serious nerfs to hotdrops), and IF capitals were more in line with the frig-cruiser-bs progression as opposed to a much larger jump (in both the training time and performance), people wouldn’t complain as much.

But this is somewhat tangential to the proposal, as marauders are subcaps and I believe this mobility makes them more overpowered than what dreads and faxes gain by the same change.

You know, i do appreciate that you like capital-ship gameplay. Someone has to use the capital parts my allies produce. And if I want to take SOV one day, I want a capital fleet to fight against.
I just think capitals doesn’t belong in certain areas of space(Low). But we already discussed that in other threads.

Some of us capital owners don’t own sov, and don’t belong to a sov-holding entity. Hell, some of us are even solo-ish players. Some of us also never used skill injectors to get where we are, but instead grinded for years.

Capitals where mainly a SOV holder tool to enforce/take SOV / Structures. I know now that it isn’t that anymore due to several changes the past years. But when the rest of the game haven’t been balanced to accommodate brings us to the problems discussed here in this thread.

Solo caps players is still a ridiculous notion that is sadly a reality.

So can you answer me this:
If Capitals should be considered “just another ship” and have the same freedoms in all but HS, what is the incentive to take SOV as a capital pilot? What is the incentive to contest larger Null groups?
The old limitations on capitals in Low ensured that there was a strong incentive for people wishing to fly capitals in a meaningful way, did it in Null.

I get that some people believe this. But honestly, where do you get this from? Who from CCP ever said that? Where is your proof of this? Do you have a source? I thought they were just big cool ‘ultimate’ ships that I wanted to fly. Something to aspire to.

I was attracted to EVE because of ‘open sandbox’ and ‘wild west’ and ‘do your own thing’ and ‘player agency’ blah blah. It looks less and less like any of these things all the time.

I don’t understand the question. It makes no sense to me. Where is the DISincentive to take SOV as a capital pilot? How is taking or not taking SOV affected either way, and even if it is, why should any of us care?

And for the record, I was opposed to disallowing caphips into highsec.

Which old limitations are you talking about?

And on the general intentions of how PVP was balanced back in the day. (this is Null, but the same principles was used in Low-sec as well)

Keep in mind that balance passes to capitals have always been focused on Null Primarily.
I don’t have that big a problem with Carriers and Dreads in Low-sec, to be honest, but the old limitations, like not being able use gates at all (also in Null), balanced things a bit.

That subject has been up in the forums for 10 years… Nothing new there.

Marauders have great dps and range? I’m sorry but wtf… They have barely more than t1 levels and are easily outdpsed by pirate bs. They get no special range bonuses as a class either.
They cant jump when in bastion so you cant use that as an argument.
So… they can tank… while sitting still in a single spot hoping they dont escalate. In a 2 billion hull ( ok it might not actually be 2 bil, not on market checks atm but it’s getting up there).
Allowing them non warp mobility will not break anything while allowing them to actually maraud.

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.