[PROPOSAL] Dreadnoughts and Marauders siege mode

Moving would indeed affect tracking, as it normally does.

Just removing the movement speed penalty is all that would be needed. That dates back to before ewar resistances, and existed to stop aligning while in siege, then instantly warping when it ended. Now you can be pointed &webbed while in siege, so it’s not an issue being able to move.

2 Likes

Yes I agree 100%. If there is any kind of movement speed penalty that is ADDITIONALLY being imposed on dreads or marauders that no other ship is being hit with, that needs to be removed.

Where did you research this from?

From a Marauders view (they can’t siege by the way), the Bastion module introduction

It’s designed to give massive tanking and damage bonuses, envisaged especially for PVE.

No. When some douchebag puts down a citadel and uses a HAW dreadnaught to defend it against a sub-capital fleet, the sub-capital fleet needs the option of moving away from where the dreadnaught is sieged. If you want to be able to maneuver, use a damn carrier.

This “additionally” is intentional and serves to balance the huge bonuses with some drawbacks. That it now serves only to prevent fleeing is laughable, as T1 battleships and carriers generally cannot flee once committed to battle either.
Want to move - offer some other drawbacks instead.

If the subcap fleet cant outpace a dread, that’s a slightly bigger issue than ‘the dread can move’. If you are warping to a new perch then the dread cant warp so what’s the issue… that in 3 minutes it will be back in range? sounds awesome gameplay then.

2 Likes

This idea is horrible.

1. making things homogeneous is almost always bad for a game since it removes real choices, this suggestion removes a very important choice and option and gives us ships that will become more similar.

2. your suggestion would require nerfing of the said modules because no way CCP is going to give you maneuvering without a serious baseball-bat-in-the-face nerf job.

3. I hate it personally (which is enough justification for not doing it already).

I didn’t research it from anywhere. That’s why I said “unless someone can correct me…”

They essentially ‘siege,’ it’s just called ‘bastion.’ Similar mechanic.

We all know what it does. The question was what the purpose was for the non-ability to warp and move around. It appears that this was done to ‘force risk,’ similar to a Rorqual. So the point of my suggestion was to keep the risk, meaning, the ship still couldn’t warp away for X number of minutes, while now giving it the ability to move around and be piloted.

I don’t understand what the difficulty is with understanding what I wrote. It’s all plain as day. Nobody has to agree with it, but I’m surprised nobody understands it. I have to assume that an incredible number of people have reading comprehension issues, or, more optimistically, people just do a 5 second scan of a post and think they “get it” when they really don’t.

1 Like

No thanks, I want to use a Dread or Marauder, thank you very much. If I want to comment on Carriers, I’ll write a post about those.

It’s hilarious that people think it’s a buff to be able to move. In fact, it’s gonna mess up the tracking once the thing moves, so it’s actually a nerf unless it’s in the hands of a good pilot. That’s why it would probably be a good idea to introduce another modification (maybe some increased mobility in Z-mode), so that in the hands of a good pilot the ship is actually rewarded.

I’ll say it again. The goal here isn’t to buff these ships. It’s to redo the mechanic to make the gameplay better, increase the potential of piloting skill, etc.

Dreads are op? Since when? The only attack capital that has to lock itself down for 5 minutes before shooting guns that might miss while carriers and supers float around assigning fighters and catching reps ten grids away?

2 Likes

As you probably know, there’s a certain crowd who hates anything battleship-sized or above. It’s why I wrote my post the way I did, but unfortunately they are still here and complaining.

1 Like

since the announcement of haw guns.

HAW guns were a nerf. Dreads were more powerful before that.

Lawl haw guns?? Kekek you must be on that sooth sayer to think that matters regarding what I said. 5 minute siege for dreads is hilarious because carriers can just roam about willy nilly and do the same damage from ten old grid ranges.

Terrible idea.
As many others have stated, If you want to move, use a carrier.
Same approx DPS application.

Siege mode is made for BESIEGING stuff… It makes perfect sense the engine power is re-routed to other ship systems.

I understand that you dream of a nano carrier-dread fleet, warping around new eden, doing shenanigans.
The change you are proposing would just make sub-caps even less relevant.
Especially in Low sec:
Got dropped by a Titan the other day while moving a couple logi cruisers, and it took out 3 of us. Titans hitting cruisers at all is insane.
I know it is a little off-topic, but it is relevant to mention that the capital and super-capital ship sizes already enjoy massive benefits compared to sub-caps. The distinct roles of capitals has been generalized more and more over the past 6 years, and that can be seen in the proliferation of capitals and capital use.
I do not want to see EVE become one big capital ship brawl… This change would be a another incremental step in that direction.

1 Like

If someone thinks that being forced to sit still doesn’t nerf your tracking, they need to go back and read up on how Eve works. Being able to move in a dread would actually allow you to increase your chances of hitting something by piloting your ship smartly.

My problem is now there are pretty much two kinds of players and they fly the extreme opposites of size. Why fly anything else? Battleships will get cap dropped by the bigger fish and disengaged or zerged by the smaller fish. if you’re fighting for an objective why fly a bs when you can bring a cap? If you’re roaming why fly a large subcap when you can have way more freedom and opportunity in a small one?

I’d rather everyone just get in caps, not that changing siege to allow movement will change that. It’s just going to nake flying dreads more fun and slightly less risky. The sub 2 hecates and whatnot will still populate most of space.

See here, this is the problem of capitals online 2018.

2019 will be the year CCP makes generic big boat with generic big gun with 2 slots, a gun and a tank slot.
You must press 2 buttons and I am sure that this will be the most complicated gameplay in the universe.

1 Like

So, This is exactly my issue with status quo. Eve used to be balanced in that sense that all the ship sizes had a specific purpose. In that purpose, they had counters to each-other, but it would always be a question of compromise on how you decided to set up your fleet and ships.

When you have been around as long as I have, you start to realize that the game is a shadow of what it used to be in a tactical sense.

Let me take you back to 2008-2012 era.
Frigates and dessies where patrolling low-sec and Null-sec.
Gate-camps weeded out the weak or stupid players.
When a frigate roam hit something It would be held or reported to a main fleet.
The min fleet roams at the same time, but changes route to get in on the prey the frigates have found.
No Blops, No caps… Just Cruisers, BC’s and BS’s. And rarely cyno’s.
New PVP corps would start up and venture out to Low-sec and start making a reputation for themselves.
They had diverse PVP content available.
They’d loose a lot of ships to more powerful entities, but running in to roams 3 or 4 times their own fleet size, it felt like valiant defeats.
Oh boy, when they then found a roam on their own size, that was when the fun began. Tactics, tactics, and tactics. That was the single most important factor in deciding who won an engagement. Do you sacrifice a little logi on ECCM? After all Jams could really ruin your day. Or do we just need massive amounts of Neuts?
What Ace are we willing to play?
Where do we engage?
What distance?
What kind skirmish would minimize losses?
Can we fool them by using a ship-layouts they don’t expect?
How quickly can we reconfigure to make sure we have the upper hand tactically?
Null sec was nullsec. Still there where big gangs roaming around, but that was where you went if you wanted to use capitals. Better system control, better intel, more capitals to fight. And those fight involving capitals fought over valuable assets in space. That being Sov or Structures.

And fast foreward to today:
Small roam gets dropped by cap fleet with fewer pilots.
Only viable tactic:
Counter drop more caps…

Wow…

1 Like