Proposal for Rebalancing of the Suicide Gank

This is interesting.

I’ve wondered why those who agree with your point of view think that it’s bad/wrong to gank new players, but say nothing about scamming.

You cannot gank a new player in a protected system, but you can certainly post a scam in local there (I might be wrong here) or via EVE Mail, preying upon the ignorance of the player and making off with his/her ISK and/or assets. I don’t think it’s addressed in the NPE, but I didn’t participate for long enough to find out.

EVE Uni has a page devoted to it, separating forbidden from permitted scams. There are quite a few permitted ones.

If you (and those who support your view) are genuinely concerned about retaining new players, are these activities also on your list?

Fair enough opinion, Lucas.

But you are unable to provide a single actual piece of data that shows the number of noobs allegedly leaving solely because of gank related issues. There is zero actual data to show whether it is 0.1% or 99%. You have an argument with zero data.

And whilst CCP did express concern about griefing of noobs….nowhere was griefing made synonymous with ganking. So not only do you have zero data but you are even arguing a ‘cause’ that CCP did not actually endorse as you keep implying they did.

I rather think that things are the other way round and it is you that has the cause…and are desperately looking around for the merest snippet or scrap of ‘support’ and pretending those snippets amount to some sort of unequivocal backing. They don’t.

What’s more, I strongly suspect that any removal of ganking from highsec will not lead to more noobs staying. In fact quite the reverse. Noobs will simply find highsec a totally boring place. When they venture into lowsec, they will there be met by all the former highsec gankers and lowsec will be even greater carnage than it already is…leading to players being bored of highsec and too afraid to go to lowsec. And you’ll have killed off Eve far more effectively than any amount of highsec ganking could ever do.

which are not so valuable as to warrant repeating a thousand times.

That’s not what the community is doing. It helps people join the community. I get it you don’t get that. The game design can hardly be called “flawed” if it has been successful for two decades. Perhaps you think people need strict rules to enjoy their experiences ? Nope, you’re wrong. Not here. And that’s the main reason why people will continue to fight you.

Nope, you’re wrong in repeating it. You are being disingenuous. Contradiction is your idea of entertainment.

It targets the ones without the necessary caution and knowledge, which coincidentally are also the newer players. But then traders such as yourself don’t worry about scams, do they.

2 Likes

Bruv? You literally said being AFK was a core tenet of the game. So are you really still concerned about playing? :smiley:

Heh. I love when you snitch on yourself.

I was wrong about my theory. You’ve been rroffed :smiley:

Oh so you found on the box where it says being AFK is a key part of their game right? Right :smiley:

He’s Rroff :smiley:

Cursory reading your posts is all that is required. There hasn’t been anything new in there since the last 250 at least. I did like the one about the window licking, but that one disappeared.

Nope. It’s the result of an intentional design. Intentional you say ? Intentional, says ccp. If you don’t like it, gtfo.

I’ll raise your yep with another nope, griefing is exceptional, bannable. Ganking is part of normal pvp. Get it through that ossified cranial content of yours. Different words, different meanings. Tears don’t matter, htfu or gtfo classic EvE style.

Are you sure that wasn’t your thermometer ?

You seem to know a lot about scamming. As usual you overlooked the longer word in the sentence: coincidentally. That means a large portion of the scam victims are newer players. Incidentally, I’ve seen a few threads over the years about banning scamming. I wonder why it was only a few. Maybe because with scams the word “clever” is often used. With ganks it’s never used, at least not among forum dwellers. Explaining the art of ganking that would be like describing fine wine to a cola guzzler.

Uh huh. So uh, you found where it says on the box that being away from the keyboard is a core tenet of playing EVE Online right? Right :smiley:

I mean, is it our fault the ISDs take issue with your abelist slurs or

Opinion actually. Only in newb systems. Once outside of that, fair game :smiley:

Huh. Almost like making a throwaway account just to grief a player and her alliance in game huh :smiley:

1 Like

Naw man, scammers are evil, man. They do it for salt, shits and giggles.

Wasn’t that what you said about gankers ?

Repeat that 7000 times and you move up a level, on your way to troll king

Oh.

So you admit you made a false claim.

Thankee :smiley:

I think the better information we have that demonstrates that EVE doesn’t really have a problem attracting new people to the game is the Gamebeat interview with Helmar in 2021 (at the bottom).

1.3 million new players in 2020, or an average 25,000 new player registrations per week.

However, given the potential for covid inflation, we also have information from EVE North 2019 where CCP outlined that there were about 21,000 new player registrations each week and about 10,000 that actually login for the first time each week:

new_players

That was also stated in Helmar’s 2019 AMA here that:

Continuing the discussion from [CONCLUDED] 2019/03/28 - Live AMA With CCP Hellmar!:

Helmar described the player base as a river at one point. It’s constantly flowing and it’s up to CCP to provide enough content to increase the base that sticks around.

Nothing we are doing as a player base is as bad for retention as things CCP do or don’t do. 90% gone within the first 7 days each week. This isn’t a player group that is being ganked out of the game.

4 Likes

Since I’ve been spending time in the nub systems, I feel too the meta of game communication has changed a ton too.

The sense of community isn’t really there. Local is dead. Its often me, talking to myself :smiley:

Most likely cause peeps are on Discord etc.

But yea, the newbs aren’t being killed by ganker hordes.

I only found one ganker total in the starter systems and he was docked up and AFK :smiley:

1 Like

What’s funny is that decision to change war decs is what directly lead to ganking being more prevalent :smiley:

Also yes, it should be a cruel world.

What’s crazy about that quote is it reveals daddy CCP’s mistake.

A few bullies vs tens of thousands of people, and the few were winning?

How were they winning? Because the tens of thousands were cowards.

If they had all fought back, how could the few have won?

If corps joined up with other corps and fielded hundreds of ships in response?

It isn’t that war decs were being abused. It’s that the majority of HS carebears are cowards, who don’t know how to play the game.

So they cried to daddy CCP to save them. When they had the tools to save themselves all along.

The war dec change may not have been the first nail nor will it be the last in EVE’s coffin.

But every nail driving it shut, its pounded in by the players. It is our base that is ruining the game. Not by ganking but by crying victim.

EVE is cruel but fair. There are always ways to fight back. Always ways to save yourself. But it means you actually have to play the game. Actually engage your brain vs another player.

You have all the tools you need to fight.

7 Likes

Of course it is :smiley:

It’s why this is all you can come back with :smiley:

The thing that’s killing EVE isn’t ganking bruv.

Its victimhood :smiley:

3 Likes

I love when you finally give up and that’s all you got Grampy Kells Rroff :smiley:

3 Likes

No, the only real fact I see here is that your arguing is totally dishonest. As numerous others have pointed out, you just slither between a variety of stock responses that never really deal with the issues. You replies are always worded not to actually answer the specific issues people have raised…but instead to evade them and speak in generalist tones. This is also why you contradict yourself so often…making specific comments when there is less pressure for an answer, and tangential contradictory statements when there is such pressure.

The end result is that people can clearly see that you yourself do not have a clear underlying backbone for your views but instead an obsessive ‘cause’ without any real roots…for which you grasp at any straw that you can pretend ‘supports’ that cause.

What we have here is not a problem looking for a solution…but a ‘solution’ looking for a problem.

3 Likes

Well its clearer to me now since I know who he is now. I thought he was Drac, but Drac has a particular posting style.

I didn’t think he was good enough at RP to consistently hide it for so long.

But he gave himself away with the game forum comment thing.

Rroff used to say that all the time as his excuse of how his opinion was relevant even tho he didn’t play EVE much anymore.

Makes sense now :smiley:

Rroff also rroffed himself off the forums but I’m guessing he just switched to another alt :smiley:

The remarkable thing is that we can actually put some data together and arrive at our own meaningful stats. To the extent that we can definitively state that ganking is not the major cause of noobs leaving. Actual mathematical proof…

1. We know from the CCP stats you mentioned that about 10,744 first logins occur every week.

2. We know from stats derived from Kezrai Charzai ( and I independently arrived at similar figures ) that about 100 people are ganked every day…or 700 a week.

3. Kezrai later argued that the true figure for ganking may be up to 4 times higher. I don’t accept that, but even if I did…that would be 2800 a week, and we know most ganking is not of noobs in their first week. It’s only a small portion.

4. Even if we did generously allow for half of all ganks being noobs in the first week, that would be 1400 a week. And yet CCPs figures show that out of 10,744…9642 have left within the first week. That means a full 85% of all those leaving within the first week were not ganked. I suspect the true figure is well over 95%.

5. That is a highly conservative estimate based on allowing even the most wildly high figures for ganks within first week. But the true purpose was in any case to show that even with allowing such wildly liberal levels of ganking we still see that the huge majority of leavers have NOT left due to ganking…because they were not ganked !

2 Likes

Oh yes. As you will see from my previous post I’ve blown your silly claims clean out of the water. It is possible to arrive at stats that show that the vast majority of leavers do not leave due to ganking.

And frankly I have bookmarked my post above and from now on it is all you are going to get by way of response. I no longer give a damn what you think…because I don’t believe thinking is something you ever actually do.

I have definitively mathematically shown that the vast majority of people who leave within the first week were not ganked. You have zero argument against that data…because I have even allowed for wildly inflated ganking figures and the number of leavers not ganked within first week is still a huge portion.

You, on the other hand, have never provided a single scrap of mathematical data at all.

I know. She had data and interpreted it.

Scary huh? :smiley:

Yennoe, I can’t fathom why you keep pushing the same lie when it’s clear you’ve already been proven wrong.

Like, is it like a child’s prayer where you keep repeating it to try and make it true or

Is your plan to just keep praying to daddy CCP to save you? ROFL.

1 Like