Proposals Regarding Wrecks and Cargo Containers Containing Living Persons

I don’t think that’s entirely fair to Commander Kim, though I can understand the frustration.

There, fixed it.

1 Like

I think she’s more concerned that she will not be able to take out her frustrations on defenceless prisoners of war like she did back in YC116, when she ordered the separation of Federal prisoners on an ethnic basis and the subsequent shooting of those that were identified as Ethnic Gallente or suspected of being such. And not only that, but left them to suffer if they were not killed outright due to a distinct instruction to use one cartridge only.

Far be it from me to be considered as the pinnacle of virtue in these parts, but this petition is reinforcing common interstellar maritime law that those in distress on the high spacelanes should not be subject to abuse by nefarious individuals and should be offered assistance where possible or notifying the authorities of there whereabouts if not.

4 Likes

If that were true, the petition wouldn’t have been necessary.

And, while I’m granted that Commander Kim’s personal history with many of you is marred, as there is some confusion on the pinnacle of virtue, but I’ve no doubt that had concerns like Commander Kim’s been as easily dismissed as you’ve surmised, the petition would have been acted on long ago. There is every chance that otherwise concerned parties have rather specific issues such as these which stall their movement.

But then, my personal virtue isn’t really how I lead into discussions on interimperial law.

Add my name to the list, please.

3 Likes

That’s putting it lightly.

I have my differences with the Commander, partly on the grounds of what constitutes ethical and fair treatment of enemy forces that have been captured in the course of battle. You could say that what she has objected to has some merit in regards to the ‘what if’ scenario of letting a serial killer escape into a container to escape ‘justice’. To me it just reminds me of that episode I described earlier, as well as other incidents we are not aware of individuals firing upon wreckage to kill defenceless crewmembers that have abandoned ship. If they are criminals, then they should be apprehended and turned over to the relative authorities to stand trial for their transgressions. It’s unlikely they would escape justice simply by letting themselves in an escape capsule, especially if the legalisation of taking them from containers is also enacted upon.

It violates the tradition of everything I was taught as a cadet at the State War Academy to fire upon those that have abandoned ship and have no means to defend themselves, and no doubt resonates just as strongly with my counterparts in the Federation. It sets a horrific precedent and leads to a greater loss of life than there needs to be. You can add my name to the list and that of NadSec too.

Of course, knowing the practices of the Imperial Navy, I would not wish to share the fate of those crew that have the misfortune of being recovered by the Golden Fleet.

3 Likes

Appreciated, but complaining that someone pointed out a legitimate loophole by reverting to a character attack is almost certainly how we ended up with the current loophole, so I would hope that it doesn’t violate the tradition of your education to approach this rather serious subject with some perspective.

Perspective?

What perspective do you think I am lacking in this case?

Well, it all sounds rather personal, considering Commander Kim was rather detached in her objections, and we are now having a discussion about what everyone thinks of her. Which isn’t simply unbecoming, it’s undermining to the objective spirit in which the petition was written.

We are having a discussion about Diana Kim because she is the perfect example of why this petition is necessary.

Apart from my mandatory Republic service, I’m not a military person, but I can say that yes, there is absolutely a tradition that exists of not firing upon crewmembers left in wreckage, and there are individuals who choose to ignore this courtesy. Plus the matter of CONCORD laws complicating this issue.

But if you’d like more perspective on why

then we can certainly take this to Off-Topic and I can remind you of exactly what she did last weekend and why you should no longer be defending her.

2 Likes

The CONCORD laws complicating this issue are, in the end, why we are having this discussion, though. One would think, beyond tradition, there are practical reasons not to be firing on jetcans full of people. But, again, if this was about our horror at the act, CONCORD would have changed the law already. That they haven’t indicates this is really just about Diana Kim, and that some people do have legitimate, specific concerns that have kept this from being addressed unto now.

Diana Kim is being used as a fitting vehicle of which this conversation is being moved forward. There are other vehicles we could use to get is to the conclusion provided, but not only is Diana Kim the most fitting choice, she’s also the most known.

For being an Archbishop, your hesitance in this matter is not only disappointing, but telling.

2 Likes

I’ll remind you, my name is on that petition. Not just as an archbishop, but as a man, I’m absolutely not comfortable having what was a well-intentioned petition to relevant authorities turned into a referendum on anyone. CONCORD isn’t going to take this seriously if they think we’re politicizing some personal disagreement. That’s why the petition was thankfully not presenting the issue as such.

Let me point out that absolutely no one was talking about Diana Kim until she inserted herself into the conversation by introducing a dangerous and potentially disabling counterpoint, which a few of us recognized the need to rebut.

You are correct on the point of keeping this thread professional for the sake of the petition, so I propose that we return to the subject of the current CONCORD guidelines in this venue.

We can pursue our discussion of Kim, and why you are being told specifically that your support of her is disgusting, in other channels.

3 Likes

I honestly prefer coffee.

Ah again the standard Amarrian “you can defend anything as long as you are polite about it, but vocal objections are unseemly” thing.

I get where you come from that - slavery is easier to upheld when only those in control are deemed fit to speak - but for the love of gods if you want to pose yourself as some kind of neutral party & friend to all, you have to get rid of that.

It is not considered polite by all to shut someone’s arguments down by calling them out for bad language or lack of decorum in public. If you need to remind someone about what is unbecoming, you take them aside first.

Else

1 Like

Oh, just ignore that loud minmatar, Arcbishop. Those who are incompetent in practice just attack verbally those who are better than them, making up all the stupid lies. For me it was quite obvious for a several her replies. Not really a person whom I’d prefer to waste my precious time on.

And thank you. That’s what means working with Caldari!

Just one more time, there are too many idiots who speaks lies about me in public, all of them must never be trusted.

It’s amusing how a pathetic traitor dares to blame an officer in a good standing for doing her work properly, the people executed were not “defenseless prisoners”, they were sentenced to death war criminals. Just like you will be for your treason when we get you.

What’s next? Blaming people in attacking “defenseless Nauplius”? I’d totally expect that from a person like you.

Ms Kim,

I’m not going into who is/isn’t a war criminal, but would suggest you sign if that is your first instinct.

As a soldier it is your duty to avoid civilian casualties when at all possible. Since you can just open any can/wreck and take the contents, sifting out the civilians should be trivial.

OP: Include my signature on the proposal.

Corra o/

1 Like

Thank you for illustrating every single one of my points beautifully.

Thank you also for continuing to trash this thread even after I suggested moving away from it.

Thank you for undermining the Archbishop’s attempts to keep this thread from turning into a referendum on you by turning it into a referendum on me (and Commander Adams).

Thank you for your shitty spelling and grammar, your hatred, and your racism.

Thank you, Diana Kim.

You’re going back on Ignore now.