Props CCP!

In theory yes.

However before TiDi we had black screens, unresponsive modules, disconnects and never stopped warps.

What was different this time? I was not there and don’t have first hand opinion. Looking at peoples reports they had black screens, disconnects in mass and unresponsive modules. Some was not able to even log in back for hours.

(Not saying here that TiDi is useless or anything like that).

I wasn’t there either, and I certainly won’t argue that the overall performance is not absolute ■■■■ right now. But at least, unlike in UALX-3, the node held this time around. That kind of makes it “more playable”.

Yeah, i agree. At least this time the battle ended by players.

Props CCP for making your game playable

Hehehe they’re gonna have their hands full tomorrow… ALLLL the players are gonna be at the table for this one.

When does the Keepstar come out of RF?

You mean all the characters will have fun trying to reconnect for hours after CCP failed yet again to provide a stable server?

And overall most people will have absolute crap client performance because of fighters and fighter bombers. If only CCP deleted supers and titans from EVE, then battles like these would actually be fun and enjoyable. Like the amazing BS brawl in YKSC the other day. Amazing fleet battle of equally sized and capable fleets … until Goons incapacitated the cyno jammer and dropped titans, which ended the fun immediately.

Are you trying to say “Death to all Supers!”?

And titans.

What about Rorquals?

2IQFBxZ

1 Like

Burn those in particular. Dreads and carriers are fine.

Carriers contribute to lag almost as much as supers do. More, if you consider the fact that they’re easily stockpiled, where supers are not (once you kill it, that pilot’s no longer running 5 fighters).

You hate supercaps. That much has always been abundantly clear every time you post something on the topic. Instead of hiding behind the guise of lag/tidi/6000 people just melted the node, speak your mind. You hate supercaps. They interfere with your enjoyment, which of course means they should be deleted regardless of whether other people enjoy them.

Edit:
As for this:

Reality called. I couldn’t quite understand everything it said, as it was roaring with laughter, but I’m pretty sure I heard “magic isn’t real”. I’d guess it meant that there’s literally no way to make a server stable in the circumstances we’re talking about.

1 Like

In terms of lag, I do not think that Supers are that much worse than most other ships in Eve. Whether you launch 5 fighter squads or 5 drones probably doesn’t make much of a difference. If 4000 Battleships were to duke it out I’m sure it’d be just as bad as if it were just 3200 Battleships and 800 Supers and Titans.

Not true at all. Fighters in particular are intensive for the server, and supers can launch 2 more (almost as much as another carrier) squads.

500 supers will launch 2500 fighters, which means that the server has to keep track of 3000 different objects. 2500 of those objects are far more intensive to handle than battleships, which easily exceeds the load of your 3200 battleships.

HAHA. No one enjoys them outside of ratting. Everytime they are being used in PVP, they either end up canceling enjoyable engagements or they break the server. That is abundantly clear and a fact backed up by all the whining and complaining about the terrible server performance before, during and after such big battles. I heard nothing but positive comments about this battleship battle in YKSC and a lot of negative sentiments about the moment when supers and titans got involved. Go figure.

Fun fact, by the way: X47 was going really smoothly by comparison when only titans were involved. Only when supers started to fight, the server shat itself.

And CCP does not give a rat’s tail about this lag, or else they would not have given the Zealot and Eagle drones. Supers and titans must be deleted from EVE so that EVE can be fun and enjoyable again. No one needs supers and titans other than to cause server breaking experiences. If it was not already abundantly clear how overpowered and game breaking supers and titans are on TQ, at the latest after the newest RNK video it should be clear how they are literal cancer for EVE.

This is what Supers and titans are about. This is what battles with these are about. This is the overall experience of these battles. This is why supers and titans must be deleted from EVE.

Do you have any reference? It would be interesting to read up on that.

I know it used to be like that when Carriers and Supers used to ■■■■ out whole swarms of Fighters or Drones at once, but I thought the fighters got merged into squads in order to deal exactly with that issue: To reduce their impact on the server by turning multiple fighters into just one entity that the server has to deal with.

I’m counting the days till I’ve got my skills trained to fly one effectively. I despise any and all ratting (though certainly do it to fund my addiction), ergo using the super to rat will not be enjoyable, merely “more enjoyable”.

Don’t conflate server performance with game mechanics. Correlation does not imply causation. Ask any super pilot if they enjoy TiDi and they’ll answer no. Ask them if they enjoy flying their supers and most will say yes.

I was in X47, for hours preceeding the fight and until we stood down at the end of the fight. I’m very keenly aware of the performance. And I don’t disagree that it adversely affects server performance. To that effect I’ve even made a dedicated thread on my suggestion to greatly mitigate this.

I do not, but consider that they must track the total number of fighters, the health of the lead squad, the “stats” of said squad (volleys remaining for example, has to store it so that it can correctly determine refuel time), and other things that regular ships just don’t have.

Loading and unloading fighters from tubes is also a good way to kick the server in the teeth. Each time you add or remove a fighter, it hits the server to update the stats of that squad.

If we go by that logic, there are about a bajillion stats it needs to track for every drone too. 2 or 3 numbers more should not make or break the server. Remember the days of “Boot” Dominixes and Archons - Drones were just as bad.

I think the most relevant factor is just how many entities there are. The best thing when it comes to performance would likely be to scrap drones and fighters altogether. But that would of course rip a big hole into the game, so that’s obviously out of the question.

I don’t have anything against “Death to all Supers!” per se, but removing Supers would very likely not help with the lag Situation.

They could probably increase stability dramatically if they increased TiDi to 95% from 90%.

Fights would certainly take longer, but they’d be effectively doubling TiDi, such that real time would be operating at 20:1 rather than 10:1.

Drones don’t have different modules to maintain states for, nor do they have a qty of drones within a squad, nor do they require player interaction at every turn (for example, player-controlled move commands). From a programming perspective, the object class itself (pretty sure they’re using an object-oriented version of Python) will have a bigger footprint than drones.

Not saying that it doesn’t need to track stats for drones… just that there are more stats and more states that need to be tracked for fighters.

I enjoy caps, and through extension, supercaps. I do think that power creep has made them too common, especially supers and titans, and I’d love to see “something magical” happen to return titans and possibily even supercarriers back to “alliance level assets”.

Another option would be to tighten up their engagement profile. I’ve long believed that:

• Dreads should not have HAWs (edit: but should have moderate targeted PDS of some kind)
  • Carriers should have SSF and SUF bonuses only, making them good for engaging frig through cruisers, or countering Supers
  • Faxes should have sig-based reps, exactly how capital neuts work
  • Supers should only have LGAF and heavy bonuses, making them good at engaging other capitals and battlecruises through battleships
  • Titans should not have HAWs, and instead focus more on providing cool grid support as their niche (along with BFGs and assorted DDs in exchange for no PDS that the dreads have)