As someone who’s played on and off again for years, but never really made any progress, stuck somewhere between “noob” and “bittervet”, I’ve compiled a list of some sure fire ways to turn people off from the game:
- Use jargon that needs explaining, without explaining it
- Make sure to let them know they’re using the wrong ship
- Fit a ship for them, and tell them to use it. Make sure to include many modules which they’ve never used before
- When they say “I’ve never used any of these before” let them know “it’s easy just turn 'em on”
- Explain how it’s their fault when they died, and that they just need practice
- Let them know anytime they want to do anything that’s not top tier gameplay, it’s “not worth it”
- Tell them “don’t start a corp you don’t know what you’re doing”
- Generate negativity, make sure to constantly and consistently be saying things like “no”, “don’t”, and “never”
I can appreciate what some players are trying to do, but honestly? Just stop. Stop trying to explain all the mechanics you’ve learned over 10 years to someone who just started a few weeks ago. It’s been so long since you’ve been a new player, you’ve forgotten what it’s like.
Most new bros struggle with even identifying which solar system they’re in… the interface is straight up disorienting to a new person. But that’s ok, they want to learn the interface. They want to learn how to identify enemy strength, they want to learn how to gauge what they can do right off the bat and what needs time to work up to.
The reputation of this game being extremely unforgiving is a great appeal to a certain kind of person… the kind of person who loves a challenge… Call me crazy, but IME, those kinds of people absolutely abhor being told what to do, and would rather trial and error it out, because that’s the fun part.
Just once, JUST once, I want someone from a corp to tell me “oh, you have an Atron and wanna do PVE? Ok, let’s fit that as best we can with what money you’ve got” instead of “no you don’t wanna use that, use this”. I’m sure there’s people out there who do this but in the ~ half dozen corps I’ve ever been in, they seem to all be the same.
Any other new-ish bros feel the same? That they don’t’ want to join a corp because… well… corps just aren’t fun the way most players run them
What are your guy’s thoughts? What are some things that we as current players should avoid doing to keep newbros coming back?