Public opinion match! Diana Kim vs Ibrahim Tash-Murkon!

Just a whip, like… normal whip, a whip? I mean, are there different sort of whips?.. You know, which can be used for punishment, to strike so hard to tear skin. It’s a thing with a handle and long tail.

Here’s the thing, if somebody says something, it’s either correct or incorrect and being able to beat them in a fist fight, or a battlecruiser duel, or a Galnet popularity contest doesn’t change that.

You think these duels have some sort of tangible effect, but all you’re doing is wasting time and resources and changing the opinions of nobody.

7 Likes

I wouldn’t go that far, Sister, some opinions are changing I am sure.

4 Likes

Indeed, something can be either correct or incorrect and duels don’t change that. The thing about them is that you challenge those, who speak about you something they either don’t know or deliberately telling something wrong about you. And in the case of honor, you show that they’re wrong about you… or make them pay for that, defending your honor in either option, would you lose it or win.

The only ways to lose honor in honor duel is to cheat or ignore/refuse the duel itself.

Very true. They’re just not the opinions they want to change.

2 Likes

There are many. Bull whips, scourges, nine tails, shockwhips, riding crops, snake whips, metal whips, floggers…

There’s quite a few varieties.

5 Likes

Oh man, you weren’t kidding, Di… But hey, I know what you’re describing. Arms strung to an overhead frame and a leather bullwhip across bareback, right? Damn, does that brings back some memories…

Not interested in seeing either of you receive such a whipping, myself! Not like this, anyway.
But I’ll come observe. You know, provide moral support! :wink:

Licorice Whips

3 Likes

Indeed.

And as any slave will attest, the choice matters. Ten strokes from the right whip can be fatal, or from a different style, mere admonishment.

I do not think his lordship has any idea of what awaits him should he lose. (Having said that, perhaps he practises regular mortification of the flesh as a devout, but I think that unlikely).

Commander Kim is made of sterner stuff, and might come through a serious whipping with some grace.

The instrument should be specified, to provide clarity on whether this will result in a few tender weals, or a public flaying.

The Cult of the Lash are often Regarded as being the most Knowledgeable about the use of Whips.

Just to clarify, highest number of votes gets the whips, right?

2 Likes

A farce, as usual. Duels of state must always take precedence over duels of a personal nature. Any officer so obsessed with their own personal reputation that they would fight a duel while at war should resign their commission. To do otherwise is an impediment to discipline and an affront to the honor of the service.

5 Likes

Yes, exactly that.
However, considering Lord’s request to make a recording and possible attendance of more people than usual, I am afraid to keep the decency the punishee will have to wear a White Shirt.

Oh, I am sorry, forgot to answer this part.
It’s not about trying to change anyone’s opinion. The Honor is a way of life. It is about standing for what you believe in, taking consequences of your actions and enduring the punishment for that.

Of course, Lord Tash-Murkon can always stop this by bringing apologies - before the voting will be closed.

You mean like when you said you were just following orders in regards to your alliance’s attack on Providence?

Don’t get me wrong honor is important, but I don’t feel that these duels are a show of honor. In the situation when Aldrith and I had a disagreement with you over your participation in Providence, you really didn’t own up to your actions. Instead, you ended up wanting one of these duels with Aldrith and later betraying LUMEN by not respecting your status as a guest at their event with your little practical joke on Aldrith because he’s not allowed to duel as a member of the Praetoria. What would have been honorable would have been to put your grudge with him aside and simply avoid interacting with him during the event. People that I don’t like attend LUMEN events as well and I just leave them be as to not damage the reputation of my corp, my allies, or ruin their night. That’s honor.

Fighting for what you believe is important, but once again, how many of these duels settle anything more than petty grudges? I’ll bet this is over some dumb, uncreative joke that Lord Tash-Murkon made. This isn’t even about accepting consequences for a loss as the result of this poll is a foregone conclusion and you know it. You know what the outcome will be on this message board.

Either way, this is the last I’ll comment on this matter. After this “duel,” though, I hope you consider my opinion before you dive into your next one.

9 Likes

This being can’t believe it…

3 Likes

Following orders is a Duty that you shall do as a member of a fleet. And it’s not dishorable attacking neutral parties even civilians on the order of the fleet commander, I think I have explained several years prior why already. And I hope, as a fleet commander, you understand it and don’t want to have any fleetmembers to start mutiny against you, because you ordered them to shoot a vessel that you got intel that it was supporting enemy, while someone in your fleet considered it neutral.

Oh, but it looks to me like you’re getting wrong it now. First of all, the duel with Lord Consort was caused by assaulting our alliance, and what the argument was about doesn’t really matter, since in the end, every argument could be conducted without mutual insults disregarding how controversial the topic is.

Neither I would say I betrayed Lumen, now that’s just… groundless accusation, Captain Elkin. Nor the assumption I have handed Lord Consort a glove “because he wasn’t allowed to particiapate in th duel”, but rather because he didn’t give answer on the challenge, while he promised to, which was supposed to be a sticky remainder.

And for ruining the night you really shouldn’t blame one who were assaulted over a glove joke. As you could have noticed, I wasn’t starting fights, neither with people I didn’t like, nor even with Lord Consort, while he gave me plenty reasons to after his assault. I’d recommend you to get the facts straight before talking about my honor in this case, since it wasn’t stained even a tiny bit.

I believe my method works, it’s not ideal, but it works. If someone wants a conflict or a grudge with me - I don’t hide away and give them fight. If you have a better alternative, feel free to offer.

LUMEN disagrees.

I note in passing that the Lord Consort apologized to me sincerely and personally for his role in the affair you instigated. I’ve yet to receive one from you, nor apparently judging from your comments, will I be.

4 Likes

Oh, Lord Consort have apologized to me as well when I came to ask for the fight. He is a honorable man, that is without doubt.

The affair started with him insulting our alliance, and you dare to say that I have instigated that affair?..

As for apologies for you… how LONG have I tried to speak to you to bring them? What was your answer? Have I got an invitation since?.. And after that you DARE to mention them in this tone? You have no SHAME, don’t you?

But, anyway, maybe if you read them here, I’ll write them here, after all I was guilty. I am sorry that I fell on you, that really was… not professional from my side, instead of protecting myself I should be protecting others, but I really got very little time to react. And my consequent lack of actions, I guess… I am sorry for that too. Also please excuse me that I failed to convince Ms. Jenneth to bring my apologies to you, even if I tried, nor that I was determinant enough to bring my apologies anyway after you refused to talk and let me to bring them. Maybe I should have taken a DUST operative team to break in to bring apologies next time.

Anyway, Im sorry.

Diana. You glued a rotty glove to his shoulder. That was not a housework shirt, that was Sarum regalia! Of course things went awfully. I’m honestly a bit furious with both of you.

2 Likes