Rafineries and moon mining vs Alpha pilots

Fuel costs for these things are pennies.
If you’re just running the drill, its only 80 mil/month.

ok, what if I’m in 1 man corp, build Rafinery and that quit my 1 man corp ? What happens to that rafinefy ?

I was checking out some upwell weapon systems that can be fitted to Rafineries. There are missile launchers and bomb launchers.
Anyone here got any experience in using any of theese ? Are they any good in fending off bad people and npcs ?

You will lose docking rights and wont be able to fire the moon drill

You want the refinery then get it put it up with just the drill on it and think of it like a ship If/when it dies replace it. You could also join a Corp that has one already.

You can have the 1 man Corp that owns the refinery in a different Corp to your main. Should you get war deced it wont stop you from still doing what you like on your main.

until we destroy it.

Doesn’t take long to be isk positive and with the mass structure spam in high sec there are a load of other people with stuff in space making the odds of loseing stuff less

But if you think of it like a ship and class it as lost as soon as you put it up who cares as long as you are having fun

Going by the thread so far the OP is extremely risk adverse to the extend that he probably thinks Stardew Valley is some sort of Dark Souls clone.

I like to do some research before I do something that would require substantial investment. ~1 bil ISK, for a Alpha account IMHO falls into category of substantial investment.
If this wasn’t for this fking COCK … oh sorry “CODE” pilots who force their gamplay style on those who clearly want to avoid it, than maybe we all could just “do stuff” and have fun the way we want it. Funny that some even call themselves “saviors of HiSec” … kind of a statement from someone who hasn’t cohonez to fight in low/null which is clearly the place designed for such behaviour. The only thing such player is “savior of” is his poor little ego.

ps. sorry for the typo. I’m dyslectic.

OK … a summary of the responses so far.

First, I have an omega account but have only been flying for 14 months. And, it was only after I started flying that hisec moon mining became a thing. So, no-one has that much more experience on the topic than you.

I also fly solo and did have five refineries. One I bought, four were found floating in space. I now have two left. Of these, one is in storage and the other is still set up for reactions in low sec but is not in use. Of the other three, one was splashed in low sec, one I gave back to the person I borrowed it from, and the third (my only hisec one) I just sold.

The hisec refinery was pretty much located as @Ashala_Arcsylver said. It has to be in a 0.5 sec system. Other than that, train up to use survey probes and start doing your own analyses of moons. Perhaps start with moons that already have refineries on them, to give you an idea of what others think is worthwhile. There are websites where you can cut and paste the analysis and it will give you an estimate for how much isk will be in a typical belt from that moon. Then make your own decisions as to amount of isk / type of minerals / closeness to trade hub (risk) that works for you.

You have to be in a corporation, and stay in a corp, to anchor, own and operate a refinery. No way around it. But, I was in my own one person corps; it is easy to do.

No-one can attack your refinery in hisec unless they wardec you. And why would they? Do not mouth off at the “Mighty CODE” (sic) on these forums and then anchor anywhere close to “their” space. Other than that sort of provocation, a wardec is not likely to happen.

As @Zoltan_Irvam said, transport your refinery and equipment in a T1 industrial. No-one will be watching. You can train and fit a wreathe to both carry 8,000m3 (4,000 is minimum you need) and do MWD/cloaky. Any time I have found a refinery in space, I went and got it in a wreathe. Yes, it is risky, but if you want safe you will end up doing nothing new in EvE. As to transporting more regularly however, get an orca and train it for transport only - no need for boosts. You can do it quite quickly, it is very versatile and you will not need a freighter alt if you do.

As @Leah_Crowleymass said, ditch the rokh. I can fly exhumers and even if you time your belt to spawn at weekends and then spend 2x12 hour days mining, you will only scratch the opportunity. But, you will still make money. If. You can transport and sell the raw material. And raw moon ore does not compress, and that is a big issue without an orca as a minimum. Short term, the miasmos will do but it will be painful. As @Lugues_Slive suggested, add your own compression facility, which by implication also means stick to mineral ores - do not mine your own moon ore. Not at first. (Moons give both moon ore and mineral ore; mineral can be compressed, so go with that at first.)

As @Black_Pedro said, forget about defending your athanor in hisec. The rigs and mods are not worth the price / hassle, and will do nothing for you, solo.

Short term, I would, 1) ditch your rokh and train for a barge, 2) train miasmos, 3) meanwhile, mine someone else’ moons (preferably ninja in low sec - way better isk - and venture can do that very successfully) both to gain experience and build up capital. However, mail me in game and I will tell you a system where you can go and mine for free. They have three new moons each day, seven days per week, and a local buy back scheme that is very generous.

tl;dr. You now have all the information you need. Just get out there and do it.

1 Like

Something came to my mind. There is no way for a solo-alpha player to mine all ore from moon belt (excluding multiboxing). What do You think about hiring a mining corp fleet to mine moon belt created by Your Refinery?
The deal would be something like this:
Refinery owner provides: coordinates, time, composition and moon belt itself.
Hired mining fleet gathers all or most valuable ore, efficiently.
Refinery owner is compensated in some way. Could be % of mined ore, ISK, fuel blocks for Refinery or anything else.

Does that makes any sense ?

I did something like this when refineries first came out. If I “found” unmined ore, I would mine it and pay a 10% mining fee.

In theory, yes. In practice, no.

In practice, as a solo pilot, you have no way to enforce “rental” payments from anyone. Anyone can still come past and mine. A few pilots might pay you, but it would be risky for you to rely on that source of income. However, as long as you can cover your costs from your own mining, there would at least be no harm in letting others join you in the hope some might pay you. You would have to try it and see.

As I said before, others are already offering this service. They advertise coordinates, time and composition for three new moons, each and every day. And all in the same system. No fees and no requirement to sell back to them. However, unless you are using the ore yourself, you will not find better sale prices. They make money on having perfect refining skills, but are still depending on people selling and not hauling away (which is what caused a similar scheme in a different region to fail).

So, as a moon miner, it is more effective for you to mine those belts rather than own one yourself. If you do still want to own one, then as a refinery owner, that is the sort of competition you face, if you need third party miners to do it for you.

Well the only true way to enforce their end of the bargain would be to not provide any info for them about next extraction I guess.

I just think about all that ore that I have no way to mine alone dissapearing. Such a waste.

Just a heads up, as I was in the same position as you are now.
There are corps that blow up stations for shits and giggles only and there’s nothing you can do about it without having a larger corp in your back.

I’ve set up a refinery two weeks ago, as I needed something new to have fun with. I was lucky enough to get it anchored without anyone killing it.
Last week I could mine my first belt without hassles, but this week I got ganked first and then the nice guys demanded me to hand over the refinery or they’ll blow it up. Since I won’t hand it over, they are probably going to wardec me soon and blow it up. There’s not much I can do about that and with that little ore from last week, I’m pretty much at a big loss. Won’t kill me, but that was a shorter moon mining experience than I’ve expected.

Just to say: Be prepared for something like this, if you’re really going to set up a refinery. And know that the process of anchoring is also risky.

This War-Dec system is broken if it allows such things in HiSec.
HiSec = no pvp
Everywhere else = pvp all You want

Just plain incorrect - where did you get that idea from ?

Ignore him. He is just telegraphing what he wants, not the reality.

You can pity him a little for playing a game that makes him so unhappy, but ultimately his misery is on him. Leave him be.

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.