obviously I can only say what I experienced at my time in eve back then.
Living in low sec at the time the rise of the war dec groups never bothered me that much, code was on the rise at this time to, we got asked to help in a war, so spent more time in high sec for a short time, that’s when I came across code for the 1st time.
Doing the same stuff as today but if anyone showed resistance they slapped a war dec on their group, using a wardec merc they owned. They used this fear to control any backlash to ganking. I had a chat with a few groups in high that we used to work with, I said fight back, one ceo said if we say anything we get a war dec, non pvpers just leave the corp and the corp collapses.
At the time I quite liked the situation, we could help any group that was being picked on if we wanted a fight.
That was my 1st Encounter with gankers, merc, wardecers
Real needed me at the time and I left eve upon my last return I remember bring surprised about the change in wardecs and disappointed, many mercs had gone.
The only difference I could see, lots of non war eligible corps around, many more gankers around and the stupid structures everywhere it never really fixed anything.
The whiners still whining, just about slightly different things, about ganking about its not fair that a solo player can’t have a structure Empire in high sec.
The mercenary groups are to blame too for endless war decs on people just for easy kills in hubs, to lazy to look for a worthy target to fight.
Thing is, some carebear corps that didnt give in to the fear but had few pvpers fid work out that collapsing, dropping corp or even taking the war seriously were not the only options.
My own corp is actually the remaining nub of a larger, now defunct alliance, and was part if a “look big” strategy that also included runnining oyr own toothless protection rackets and turning up in large numbers if someone was hassling our miners or mission runners.
It was pre structures though so silly docking games were unfortunately also part of the norm back then.
Also I thought in EvE a “worthy target” was anyone.
More seriously though… I literally describe what I do in EVE as “building weapons so other people can kill me with them” sometimes. I don’t know about “worthy” but everyone is a valid target.
That has narrowed it down to 1/26th of the english language. Reminds me of the description of a male soldier that ran through the women’s dorms, “He had short hair and was wearing an army uniform”.
Back in the day we used to devise creative ways to ruin people’s day just so they’d completely lose their ■■■■ and we could laugh at the toxic diarrhea they’d type.
It’s no fun when CCP bans people for NaUgHtY wOrDs