Re-Elect Angry Mustache for CSM 18

I don’t think I’m out of touch. I think most players want the same things, and what’s good for a solo player like you isn’t going to be completely outside of what’s good for someone in a null bloc, for instance. Folks seem to forget that the big null groups are so big that they encompass just about every kind of playstyle there is. There are tons of folks in KF, for example, who love solo PvP and do that much of the time.

I give Mark credit for standing up to me, even though he’s always wrong.

3 Likes

HAHA

I think you’re awesome @Brisc_Rubal you should know that. I mean you’ve taken a break from your vacation to to reply to me, how could I not be impressed by that.

Part of what I love about you Brisc is how seriously you value the privilege that is your position, your presentation and persona, and your responsibilities as a caretaker of this amazing game. Your commitment is flawless.

I would ask you, how can you not be biased by your depth of experience? I would ask how it’s possible to be aware of everything that you’ve become aware of, that you unconsciously take for granted and believe is true.

I wonder, if it turned out somehow that I was right and you were somehow out-of-touch, would you be ok with that? Could you be ok with that?

If it’s any consolation, if you were eligible to run you would certainly be on my ballot as you have been in years past. It’s important to me to include as diverse a range of representation as possible and it’s especially important to include the most experienced players there are. Only a fool would ignore the voice of experience.

1 Like

@Brisc_Rubal

This has been my experience: and the ‘advice’ that I have received with regards to it:

The number one rule of EVE is:

Be able to afford a loss. Never fly something (or with something in the cargo) you can’t afford to lose.

Well as a starting player I could not afford to loose anything. So the logical conclusion is not to fly…

The next piece of advice that I received was join a corporation however the second rule of EVE is:

Everyone can scam.

So why would I join a corp… that’s an especially poignant concern when you consider the third rule:

Experience matters, not ISK or Skills

Of which I had none… by comparison to none players running corps have plenty…

Now, you likely have an answer to all these problems, but I don’t want to be told the answer… I want to figure it out for myself, that’s the fun of the game… I want to have the experience that the players who first ever played EVE had. I want the experience of finding out for myself, of crossing the Great Plains and discovering the New World on my own.

When EVE first began there was a level playing field that no longer exists at all in any form. The game is so mini-maxed now, so solved, that is has become, for all intents and purposes, completely stagnant and so much so that wars have to be artificially forced into existence. To my way of thinking anything that maintains that status quo is a problem. That includes Asiblexes and force projection.

The priorities of players who are in that end-game and the way that they view newer players and the priorities of newer players and the adventure that they buy into when they first begin to play couldn’t be any further apart. Big corps want you skilled up as quickly as possible and to become a linesman, now that’s an unfair characterisation and an exaggeration, but the processes they’ve implemented, such as ship reimbursement reflect those priorities… And so they should, big corporations have an obligation to live, to self-sustain.

A couple years ago Hilmar told the story of his early experience, about how he borrowed a ship and then lost said ship and panicked, he was left with a moral conundrum; Do I simply code a new one into the game or do I stay true to it’s foundations and work within the game to replace it? This was possibly the most important decision that the games lead developer ever made because it determined his attitude toward eve and what makes it great, loss, friendship, discovery, risk, triumph.

I’ve flown ■■■■ fits because up until now I’ve been able to, but after x years of playing I’m finally having to figure out how all that works. The fun of that is finding that out for myself.

The problems that I’m experiencing are how difficult the interface makes that and how reliant a player is on third party software. Why do I have to use PYFA? Why do I have to leave the game to play the game?

The changes that I want to see implemented are the integration of the information gathering tools that experienced players have access to and control over implemented into the game. They didn’t face the same degree of organised resistance that newer players face today. Thats a fact. And they’re completely unaware of how their solutions to said advantages remove what is essentially the most fun part, developing personal mastery and autonomy through the process of exploration and self-discovery.

The last thing I want is to be told the answer, I pay a subscription so that I can have access to the puzzle, when I get told the answer that ruins the point of the subscription.

It’s a paradoxical position, on the one hand I want to find out for myself, on the other hand I want access to the tools that everyone relies upon to be implemented into the game. However it’s. important to recognise that I’m not asking for the solutions to be integrated, I’m asking for the tools that allow you to explore and develop said solutions. Keeping in mind that I’m not facing the disorganised chaos of Eve’s early years, I’m facing a solved meta full of bots and systems like sky-net that alert other players immediately to my presence…

Can you relate to that?

One of the things I’ve tried my best to do is talk to new players, and now being in KF I get to do this far more often than I did in the past, and I think that helps keep me grounded. Having spent as much time as I did as a linemember, I do and did my best to accept that I don’t know everything and that I need to talk to people who do things I don’t do to get a full picture.

Sure you can - you can always get a rookie ship for free, and the NPE hands out a lot of free ships. Run a couple missions or a couple very low level abyssals and you’ll start making enough isk that you won’t need to worry about losing a frigate or something small.

This is a game about risk, and that means not just taking risks in space, but taking risks in trusting folks. There are some groups like Karmafleet where scamming - especially scamming new players - is not tolerated. It is hard for a newbro to know this, of course, which is one of the reasons why I wish CCP would do a bit better job with the corp finder.

Sure, but that’s remedied by playing the game and learning. And getting taught, etc. Finding a group to fit into, figuring out how to make isk that you enjoy doing, etc.

You want to have the experience yourself - sure, I get it. But you also have to accept you’re starting a game that’s 20 years old. There are going to be some things that you’ll be behind the curve on. But the other benefit is the game keeps changing and new things are being introduced all the time that nobody has a leg up on you on, and you can learn and adapt to just as fast as any of the vets.

There’s also a benefit to not having twenty years worth of obsolete stuff in your head, lol.

This is a video game - let’s be real, all the wars are artificially forced into existence. The vast majority of wars happen because of personalities, not over resources or any of the stuff- and there’s nothing wrong with that. It’s the nature of theg ame.

I can’t speak for every big corp but I can speak for mine - our concern isn’t that you get skilled up as quickly as possible. Our concern is that you are having fun playing the game and enjoy your time with us. That’s in our best interests long term and short term. We’ve got 2k real people in KF and if those folks aren’t having fun and playing the game, then we’re not doing our jobs. Whether those folks are all in titans and supers and can fly every single doctrine ship is secondary to whether they’re having fun.

This is a double-edged sword. You don’t NEED Pyfa - the in-game fitting tool is pretty good for most things unless you’re doing super high-level min-maxing and fit tuning. I have it, but I almost never use it. The other third party tools are designed to help make the game better. I would prefer that more of them are in the client, but as long as they’re free, it’s something that makes the game richer rather than a problem, in my view.

Like what? Most of the stuff I use on a daily basis are all in-game things, like intel-channels that are only as good as the people in them updating them.

This is true. At the same time, newer players have a far easier time getting into the game than those of us who started a long time ago - not only is the NPE pretty good now, there are a ton of resources for newer players that didn’t exist where I started. So while getting into PvP is likely sticking your head into a woodchipper for a new player, it’s one that I think is a bit more manageable than it was back in 06 when I started.

Sure. And I agree with a good portion of what you’ve said. I wouldn’t worry, however, about things like skynet and the like because that stuff is illegal and the folks using it are doing so at the risk of getting banned. I wish CCP was better at catching them, but a cheater is a cheater. If you’re concerned you can’t catch up to the folks cheating, I feel the exact same way.

1 Like

Thanks @Brisc_Rubal what a great reply, I was kind of worried at work today because I couldn’t remember what I’d written… lol.

I will answer your question regarding some of the tools that I think are essential and that add immeasurable value to the game, as intelligence gathering tools, and as narrative tools (Making the universe come alive though news reporting etc.)

Gate Check
Local Threat
Z-killboard
Battle Reports
Dotlan
Eve-scout
TheraConnect
Pathfinder
EVE Workbench
PYFA
EVE Marketer
Adam4Eve

SeAT

When ever I plan on going anywhere I check Gatecheck. If I’m planning on spending time in a system, for example I recently spent some time in a null sec region flying a pirate mission arc, then I use Local threat which links to Z-killboard to add all the players and corps with high kill ratios to my red list. I use dotlan extensively particularly during the annual events to set up routes through systems and to check on local activity.

I use EveScout and Thera connect to get out of sticky situations when I’m trapped deep in null sec.

I use Eve workbench to learn about fittings for event sites etc. I love the event content, most of what I’ve learned about piloting I learned from participating in events.
I use Evemarketer when I can’t find something I need locally and I use Adam4Eve to manage my market trading.

I included BattleReports because I think it’s one of the best apps out there to learn about what’s happening in the universe around me which is extremely interesting to me.

I also use abyss tracker but it’s by no means essential, but the community on there is great.

I think that SeAT is invaluable in what it adds to corporation management and it blows my mind that CCP’s corp UI is less functional. Data organisation, accessibility, and display are all vital elements for corp management. SeAT offers a superior accessibility, organisation, and display of data. Although there are features such as the ability to track corp member activities such as participation in Industry, Exploration, Missioning, pvp, etc. that aren’t directly available through SeAT or the corp UI and should be (You can track activity through corporation taxation which is nearly impossible to do effectively if you have more than say 20 highly active members) . And features such as the ability to apply for a promotion or recognition in a field of expertise and receive a positional or role change that don’t exist in either, SeAT is still superior in what it provides.

Updated with chinese version

CMS 18
You are all welcome to advertise
introduce yourself on one of the largest German Discord servers
And to advertise 1300+ are waiting for you Respect Honor Passion

The candidates are invited LIVE in the stream

And with LIVE translation English to German !!
introduce yourself in an interview and ask questions
to be answered by German speaking players
Yours sincerely Neo ceo RHP

The presentation I gave on stream during the CCP interview. To clean up some confusion, CCP allows candidates to do their interview in a different format if they want, so I chose to give a presentation to show what we (Kenneth Feld and I) have done on CSM 17 as a demonstration of effectiveness. Much of the Industrial Changes implemented in Viridian I view as positive were directly or heavily influenced by the analysis and suggested presented at the summit in this slide shot.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.