Reason for hosting with a third party?

I’d be interested to hear the reasoning behind hosting the forums with a third party:

meta.eveonline.com is an alias for eveonline.hosted-by-discourse.com.
eveonline.hosted-by-discourse.com has address 64.71.168.222
eveonline.hosted-by-discourse.com has IPv6 address 2001:470:1:3a8::222
eveonline.hosted-by-discourse.com mail is handled by 10 mx-sjc1.discoursemail.com.
1 Like

Mostly so that if our own infrastructure goes down (as has happened to the webDB in the past at times) we can still use the forums to communicate with you guys. This is also why we’ve encouraged people to follow the EVE Status twitter account, as we’ve still got that if everything else goes down.

5 Likes

Since April 2011, our forums have been based on software that has remained relatively unchanged and was heavily customised in house by CCP for it to be able to interface with Tranquility’s database. This direct tie to our infrastructure also means that whenever we suffered from server outages, sometimes we would lose access to the forums and must rely completely on third party services to keep the community informed about ongoing problems (notably @eve_status and @eveonline on Twitter).

The aim with these new forums is to vastly reduce the load they cause on our website infrastructure, and make the forum posting experience far more enjoyable for both players and developers alike. A by-product of this is we also have a solid medium through which to communicate in the event of any significant issues with Tranquilty.

From the Dev Blog

2 Likes

You know what else is also still up in that case: https://www.reddit.com/r/Eve/

It even comes without ISD.

5 Likes

I forgot to add the obligatory “:)” that seems to make these posts alright instead of being mean.

Or you know, there are even more options.

Yes, but those are controlled by third parties, where as this forum is moderated by people who CCP pick (And in some cases employ.)

Unlike the shitshow of reddit moderation.

5 Likes

Other than pointing a CNAME somewhere and having access to an admin panel CCP does not control these forums. The data is not on their servers.

We mean different things by control, I suspect.

You’re meaning ultimate control, where everything resides with them.

I’m meaning the more common meaning, where they have access to change whatever they want, moderate how they want, and so on.

There’s a vast difference between reddit and here. No random player able to delete CCP posts, for example.

(Would you say that someone who hosts something on AWS doesn’t control it? After all, it’s not on their server.)

2 Likes

Yup. Apparently posts must be at least 20 characters in length so this is just padding to please the Discourse gods.

Just checking.

I suspect many would disagree with your definition.

(Emoji count towards post length btw. And not as a single character)

1 Like

I’ve tried but the forum gods don’t like that either and have flagged my post as spam. :smith:

That’s probably because you had a wall of emoji, rather than a single one.

That’s just cruel, man.

Considering that you are promoting the ultimate cesspit, a.k.a. reddit I think that software is very correct in classifying your post as spam :stuck_out_tongue:

Official CCP communication needs to be on a site that they control and besides their customers should not be forced to deal with third party sites in order to get updates on the game or communicate with devs. Especially not sites like reddit and twitter.

2 Likes

I don’t know. Looking at this “forum”, Reddit just became a whole lot more appealing.

1 Like

Layout is a bit information empty but that is something that can be fixed unlike reddit circlejerk. I’m paying to play eve so there is no reason to be forced to visit reddit/twitter/discord/whetever other disaster is cool ATM.

1 Like

LOL at all the “Reddit is Better” whining when this actually looks like it was designed this decade.

I’d also venture to guess this is not as simple as a “hosting” arrangement, as the Discourse developers cater to large communities with custom development and integration.

Exactly. This modern “design” and web 2.0 is utter ■■■■■■■■. It may appeal to the underdeveloped millenial crowd, but not to people who prefer usability over “ohhh shiny animations”